• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

05 900 fouling plugs Before and after top end rebuild

morsnwplz

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2012
Lake Stevens Wa.
I replaced the top end of this thing over the summer and am having a weird issue. took it out two weeks ago to get some break in miles on it and it ran great for an hour or so then started flashing a code ( 2 Blinks ) started popping and sputtering and fouled out the plugs. I didn't have a spare set with me but when i swapped them out when we got back to the cabin it started up and ran fine. I haven't been able to go try it again but wanted to make sure it wasn't another problem first.
Is it possible that the bad sensor can make it run too rich and foul the plugs? maybe there is another problem i don't know about?
This was the same thing it did last year. it fouled out 2 sets on one ride and that made me pull the head and see the scarring on the piston and prompted me to swap things out.
I have always worked on cars but not too familiar with sleds yet (though owning a 900 is teaching me fairly quickly) so any advice will help.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
2 blinks is a water temp sensor. The sensor itself is prolly not the issue. However that sensor does share a wire with the tps harness so I woke check the connections and highly recommend changing the tps harness if u have not already. Could be that simple.

Make sure to gap plugs at .028 and use the NGK BPR9es

I would do that and ride it and post back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

morsnwplz

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2012
Lake Stevens Wa.
Thanks guidoxpress. I read around on here and a few posts like that. When I get up to the cabin Friday night I will swap out the plugs and check the connections. Any specific connection points I should look closely at?

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
This is a tps harness made by a fellow Snowest member

http://www.ebay.com/ulk/itm/281599599412

The tps harness connects to the sensor obviously then back about 6" is splits off to the main harness and the Coolant temp sensor u will see the connections there. They are incases bullet connections

The bad tps harness u can't usually visually tell they are bad. But wigglin them sometimes will fix it temp or pushing them back in the harness

morsnwplz

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2012
Lake Stevens Wa.
update

I checked the connections and that didn't seem to be the issue as it was still throwing a code. I swapped the sensor out and the code is gone for now. I will ride it this weekend to see for sure.

While swapping the sensor i noticed a hole in my exhaust bellow (Couldn't get the coolant sensor out without removing the exhaust valve). the hole is about the size of a pencil eraser and looks to be from rubbing on one of the mounting screws that either backed out or was never installed all the way by the previous owner (one of the 4 allen screws under the bellow). What problems could this cause? i didn't have one at the time or i would have swapped it out.

Premium Features