• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 RMK900 motor into an 05 RMK900?

M
Nov 2, 2022
Denver CO
New to SnoWest - thanks in advance for any help. I was just given an 2005 RMK900 with the engine out and told it is no good. Same guy gave me a 2006 RMK900 motor that he said is good and he never got around to putting in. I have been looking around the forums and called a few shops and can't get the answers I need.

The 06 has 4 fuel injector ports, and the 05 has 2. I was told that I can plug the lower two and just use the uppers. I started on this project, but the fuel rail from the 05 is not anywhere close to fitting on the 06. I was thinking I could leave the 06 fuel rail and all 4 injectors in place, but only plug in the upper two injectors - since I only have 2 connectors on the 05 anyway. I figured this would be easier than plugging the holes in the engine and on the fuel rail, and if the injector wasn't hooked up, it would act as a plug. But - some of the forums are saying that the flow rate on the 06 injectors are half of the 05's, so I wouldn't have enough flow. Can I remove the 05 injectors and put them in the 06 rail?

Also, after a bit of review, I'm starting to think that the motor mounts are not going to line up, as well as a lot of other issues with wiring, cooling, etc.

This was just going to be a buddy sled to get friends into riding. I would say I have intermediate mechanical ability, but pulling and replacing a matching engine might be the limit of my skills. Is this a stupid idea for a 17 year old sled? I don't mind spending a little time on it, but would rather it not all be wasted by a failed project. That, or I can just part the thing out and keep my eye out for another? The rest of the sled looks to be in ok condition.

Thoughts and suggestions?

thanks,
Mike

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
If you go to any Polaris parts online catalog like at Carl"s Cycle, you can compare parts numbers for the engine mounts, assuming both engines are exactly the same. Of the 4 engine mounts, 3 of them are different parts numbers between the 2 years that you mentioned. Since you have both engines, just remove the engine supports from your 2005, and see if they fit on your 2006 engine. Easy peasy.

M
Nov 2, 2022
Denver CO
Thanks. This was turning into a major hassle. On pulling the 2005 engine, it ended up being rebuildable, so we just went that route. I do have an 06 900 complete engine for sale now if anyone is interested. Thanks for all the help.

Premium Features