• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Narrow front end on 18 AXYS

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
how many guys notice that when they offset their skis with the spacers on the ski bolts?

This guy with two thumbs right here. :face-icon-small-hap

Like I said, it does help with rolling over on the side because the downpressure from the center of the spindle is on the outside of the ski giving it more leverage...... It's the other stuff that feels off to me. Like countersteering on edge on hard snow...it's more difficult because you're essentially now having to lift the ski more rather than just pivot it. Yeah it's subtle but I do notice it.

I don't care what anyone does with their own sled, I'm just sharing my thoughts on what I've ridden.

Less overall front suspension travel does suck.....However with offset spindles your ski doesn't travel as far as the center of the spindle anyway, so you're still losing travel. :face-icon-small-ton

E
Aug 28, 2017
So after all you guys suggestions I’ve been reading up on all the narrow front ends. I’ve decided to get the alt impact 36” front end and give it a try. I appreciate all the info and personal experiences you guys have shared, helped me a bunch in wading through all the options.

frntflp

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Plymouth, MN
Actual brand will be a matter of who you want to give your money to. In the end, it's a matter of wanting a narrow front end, like the stock Polaris for 19. I went with Z-Broz. Works awesome ! I love having a 36" front end.

Also, I took my orig. factory WE shocks to a shock rebuilder and had them put in a spacer that would reduce the overall extended length to 16.25. $100 for the pair and they have almost the same travel as totally new shocks for $1000 plus. Now the decision to get different shocks will be a based on the shock performance itself, and not being forced into it due to length.

Q
Mar 11, 2011
Olds
Nobody has mentioned the trenchers kit, I've got it on mine and I love it, stock shocks, high clearance arms, complete bolt on, no screwing with swapping ball joints, fit and Finish is great, Arms are tough, Price is right. Not sure what the US guys would end up paying as they're a Canadian company but worth a look for sure. I'm not a fan of the offset spindles as you end up with the same junk factory lower control arms that bend it you look at them wrong.

https://trenchers.ca/en/produits/36-chromoly-a-arm-kit-polaris-rmk-2013-2018-sks-2019/

C
Nov 29, 2008
Put a B-PWR 36" React style front end on my 16 800 ... way more nimble just have to learn not to over ride it. Seems to be tough too - took out a spindle with no damage to A arms / bulkhead ... left the ski 20' behind the sled.

ripnit

Lifetime Membership
Mar 9, 2009
Chilly Id/Iowa Falls Ia
I agree with kidwoo. Bought a axys with zbroz offset spindles and did not like the handling. Especially over old tracks. Took them off and put kmods on and it's much better IMO

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Offset spindles work ok.

But if you are going to replace the tin foil stock a arms anyways?
Why not go with narrow arms and save the cost of the spindles.

It's a huge issue if you live in Canada. We often wait 10-15 days or more to get stuff shipped over the border so aftermarket arms are not an option if coming from the USA. Stockers with braces work well and are available any dealer. Why miss out on riding when you don't need to?

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
www.alternativeimpact.com
Haven't been on here in quite a while and just read through this. A couple key features to keep in mind that the alternative impact arms have that the others do not besides the sheer points of the rod ends are that our new true clearance arms are just that, a true ground clearance arm with both front and rear tubes on the lowers that are arched, NOT an arched front tube where you may barely miss the obstacles with the front tube and hit it with the rear. This is the same geometry as the 2019 react and can be installed on anything from 2013-19 and still use your stock Length shocks and get the same stock ride height utilizing the stock sway bar. Totally a plug-and-play kit, with all bushings pre installed. This kit was besides the geometry, based around guys being able to reuse especially the expensive aftermarket shocks they already have and maintain stock ride height. Truly compare them all.

Dan

Last edited:
M

mxracer299

Nov 24, 2010
Great Falls, MT
I’m running the Alternate Impact 36” front and like it as wide as possible. I tried it with ZRP spindles too at 33 1/2”, it wasn’t what I like. I run stock length shocks with triple rate raptor springs and have no issues, I wouldn’t shorten the shocks. I could sell my ZRP spindles if you want them, they are just sitting on a shelf.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
I’m running the Alternate Impact 36” front and like it as wide as possible. I tried it with ZRP spindles too at 33 1/2”, it wasn’t what I like. I run stock length shocks with triple rate raptor springs and have no issues, I wouldn’t shorten the shocks. I could sell my ZRP spindles if you want them, they are just sitting on a shelf.

If you have the true clearance arms on a pro or axys absolutely NO need to change length because they as you seem to already know keep stock ride height. Sorry, can't stress that enough. Knowing you can use expensive aftermarket shocks and not have to buy new is a big deal.
Dan

E
Aug 28, 2017
Wow, talk about fast service! I just want to say thank you to Dan at alt impact. I ordered his 36” kit Monday evening and it was on my doorstep Friday afternoon. Looks like a very well made front end, install was straightforward, everything fit like it’s supposed to. Very pleased, can’t wait to go give it a try!

Last edited:

Norway

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Offset spindles weird? Arching?

My gut response is BS, but maybe I'm not riding enough.. Heck, I KNOW I'm not riding enough. But I've ran with offset spindles for years and I just loved them.

Good shocks, narrower front end and narrower and straighter bars made my pro handle like a dream. Copying it on my Axys.
Suspension tuning is vital tho, get into it.

T
Jan 9, 2010
EC ND
cousin just put alt impact of his terrain dominator and with in the air it steers really light and easy. as soon as he set it down on the dollies it steers hard as hell. looked at a everything and dont see anything binding but it is definitely not right. he said that all the setting are by the book and everything is exact and spot on. any thoughts?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
cousin just put alt impact of his terrain dominator and with in the air it steers really light and easy. as soon as he set it down on the dollies it steers hard as hell. looked at a everything and dont see anything binding but it is definitely not right. he said that all the setting are by the book and everything is exact and spot on. any thoughts?

Maybe the kit that was installed was intended for the shock to be shortened?? Most are.

T
Jan 9, 2010
EC ND
my cousin put on alt impact and it is set to the instructions for the dimensions and when it is in the air it turns nice and freely but when he sets it down on the dollies it turns stiff and really hard. cant see anything rubbing or binding but something definetly is not happy. anybody have this experience or any thoughts? thanks!

sledr900

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
WSS, MT
K MOD 37

Went for my first ride today after installing the K MOD 37 front end on my axys. I can't believe how much easier it handles. I never knew that the handling on an axys could be improved this much. The fit and finish on the K MOD kit is top notch.

pauly815

Premium Member
Oct 9, 2011
park city ut
TRAX, I’ve installed two sets of alt imp 36” kits. On the newest high clearance kit I set camber 3 threads out on the top and five threads out on the bottom, and make sure all rod ends “ball joints” don’t bind when turning left to right. Remove the pipe and make sure there’s no binding on the steering center link mine was tight from the factory. Great kit carves like butter and clears obstacles with the high clearance, stock shocks and sway bar.

alt

Lifetime Membership
Jan 7, 2010
Livingston
my cousin put on alt impact and it is set to the instructions for the dimensions and when it is in the air it turns nice and freely but when he sets it down on the dollies it turns stiff and really hard. cant see anything rubbing or binding but something definetly is not happy. anybody have this experience or any thoughts? thanks!
Give me a call, something is probably not set up correctly. As mentioned more information is needed. Send me some pictures of how you've got the rod ends adjusted and I'll more than likely be able to help you out with just that. Too long of a shock is suspect if it's free in the air. As long as it's stock shock Length RMK from 2013-19 with the true clearance kit you should be fine though. Again, send pics, it's something simple.

T
Jan 9, 2010
EC ND
alt impact question

my cousin just put on the 36" alt impact front end on his 2015 terrain dominatorand used the factory shocks, when the front end is in the air sitting on the jack it turns nice and light. But when he sets it down on the dollies you can barely turn it. or at least it turns reaaaallly heavy. it all looks fine, he said that all the measurements are spot on, i think he said all the way in on top and 1/2" of threads on the bottom. anybody have any ideas? Thanks!

Premium Features