• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Denali HD vs King Ranch Super Duty....................

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
If you own one or the other, what are your likes & dislikes.
(Unless I am going to reside in it, I cannot afford one......just curious)

Is the Laramie in the same league as these two?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Those Denali HD's are niiiiiiiiiice ..

IMO, the "King Ranch" needs to be completley reworked becase its so hoakey its just stupid .... its nice, leather is great, but for the LOVE OF GOD FORD, will you *PLEASE* stop putting the wanna be King Ranch logo on EVERY SINGLE FLAT SURFACE OF THAT TRUCK. That is the single reason I won't ever consider buying a "KIng Ranch" .... I dont want that plastered all ove rit. Put the good stuff in a "Lariat Platnum" or something and ditch the wanna-be-cowboy look.

And no dodge is never in the same league of interiors as the other two even though they're doing a lot better at it these days than they hav ein the past.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Is Chevy in the game?

Can you get a Chevy equipped with all the gadgets that the Denali has?

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I politely disagree. The new dodges have the LongHorn edition which has every option the denali has and some that the "dumbnali" doesn't. And can generally be had at around 8k less in price. I just last week bought a brand new 12 dodge big horn and its a sizable improvement over my 06.

And Mafesto aren't you in the Aberdeen area. Check out Aberdeen Chysler. Best dealer to deal with. They will bend over backward to accommodate you. I have driven up from Sioux Falls for my last 6 trucks. Won't deal anywhere else.

philsummers21

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Big Horns, Wyoming
I agree. dodges interior has came along way in the last couple years. I actually just looked at a new chevy and was not impressed with there interior. Never seen a denali HD interior but the chevy interior was dead last in my opinion. I prefer the new dodge interior over the ford.

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I have a 10' Laramie and love it. The new Dodge has more options than either of the others. I could not agree more about all the "King" logos. I had quite a few Chevy's before my new truck. The dodge has a bigger back seat than the Chevy's, not sure about the Ford and I am not even talking about the Mega Cab. Take a good look at the Dodge before you make a $40k+ descision.:face-icon-small-coo

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I have a 2011 Denali. First of all, to each their own. But I thought the Denali was a much better truck than the other two. The powerplant and tranny alone did it. The interior is great but does have some flaws. The GM is smaller than the Ford and Dodge crew cabs (but I don't like the stretched Dodge - Ford wins here). The Dodge had a powertrain that didn't hold a candle to Ford or GM back in 2011 so I wouldn't touch it. There is a reason Dodge's are so cheap (check resale too). I can't believe that Ford still doesn't offer a warranty similar to the others. Check the comparison that took place over Eisenhower in Colorado between Ford and GM. It's amazing what the difference was (Dodge didn't have a high enough rated truck at the time).

What I don't like: No HID's with Denali package, seats fold up, not down (all three do that), more dash pockets for gear would be nice (my 2006 GM had that), dash a little plastic-e, back-up assist isn't smart enough to deal with a hitch in the receiver (so it beeps), black looks terrible when its dirty.

What I do like: Awesome power and transmission! Features such as exhaust brake, A/C seats, heated wheel and seats, remote start from my iPhone, soft cushy Cadillac leathered seats, rear view camera in rear view mirror, quiet and smooth! It looks sick nasty when it's clean!

If you are not biased then I agree you should drive all three before buying. I got a great deal through my brother or I probably wouldn't have been able to buy a Denali. Chevy offers many of the same features in their LTZ package.

attachment.php

denali driveway.JPG

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I politely disagree. The new dodges have the LongHorn edition which has every option the denali has and some that the "dumbnali" doesn't. And can generally be had at around 8k less in price. I just last week bought a brand new 12 dodge big horn and its a sizable improvement over my 06.

And Mafesto aren't you in the Aberdeen area. Check out Aberdeen Chysler. Best dealer to deal with. They will bend over backward to accommodate you. I have driven up from Sioux Falls for my last 6 trucks. Won't deal anywhere else.

This is something I'm interested to hear ... Many folks have told me you can get a totally loaded Dodge for a LOT less than a Ford or a GM truck.

If the MSRP on a new F350 is like say ... $60k .... what would the Dodge be, $50k?

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I have a 10' Laramie and love it. The new Dodge has more options than either of the others. I could not agree more about all the "King" logos. I had quite a few Chevy's before my new truck. The dodge has a bigger back seat than the Chevy's, not sure about the Ford and I am not even talking about the Mega Cab. Take a good look at the Dodge before you make a $40k+ descision.:face-icon-small-coo

I think you guys have me talked into that ....

I've never been a fan at all of GM's crew cab pickups. They're only marginally larger than their extended cab trucks.

The Ford crew cabs are spacious enough for 4 6'+ adults on a long trip, but how is the Dodge? It didn't seem to me it was as big as the Ford.

I've heard the Mega Cab isn't really that much bigger inside than the regular crew cab, is this true?

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
I have seen a couple denali HD's in white if the black isn't appealing to you. I just recently purchased an 06' Duramax from someone who upgraded to a brand new denali and my jaw hit the floor when i seen it. By far the nicest truck i've ever seen. I just hate that huge tank below the passenger door for that crappy injection or whatever for the emissions.

clatla

Premium Member
Mar 9, 2010
MN
I think you guys have me talked into that ....

I've never been a fan at all of GM's crew cab pickups. They're only marginally larger than their extended cab trucks.

The Ford crew cabs are spacious enough for 4 6'+ adults on a long trip, but how is the Dodge? It didn't seem to me it was as big as the Ford.

I've heard the Mega Cab isn't really that much bigger inside than the regular crew cab, is this true?

I think the Ford might be a little bigger than the Dodge back seat. I know that the Fords are cold though. Maybe the new ones actually came out of the dark ages and put heat ducts back there. The Mega cab is much bigger. Where else can you find reclining backseats? My thought was how few times there is anyone in my truck besides my self. For the 10 times a year that there is 4 of us the crew works for me. Again do your research and spend your $ wisely!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I think the Ford might be a little bigger than the Dodge back seat. I know that the Fords are cold though. Maybe the new ones actually came out of the dark ages and put heat ducts back there. The Mega cab is much bigger. Where else can you find reclining backseats? My thought was how few times there is anyone in my truck besides my self. For the 10 times a year that there is 4 of us the crew works for me. Again do your research and spend your $ wisely!

Yeah, reclining back seats are definitely not a priority for me. Seems you can never have enough back seat room, but I don't like the stretched Mega Cab. Interiors aside, drive the Cummins, Powerstroke and Duramax in the same day on the same hill and see what you think.

S

snowrdr

Nov 26, 2007
Reno, NV
Have a 11 Laramie Longhorn and I could not be happier. Amazing interior and very well crafted. Spent many hours this past winter in the drivers seat and it is super comfortable and all accessories are easy to use. That's my choice

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
This is something I'm interested to hear ... Many folks have told me you can get a totally loaded Dodge for a LOT less than a Ford or a GM truck.

If the MSRP on a new F350 is like say ... $60k .... what would the Dodge be, $50k?

MSRP isn't as important as the actual price you can buy them for. Dodge usually offers higher rebates than the other two do so they can be had for significantly less than MSRP. A brand new Long horn can be had for around $47k up here. I would doubt that a denali can be had at anything close to that price.

And don't buy into the whole resale value thing. Look around at used diesels. An 06 dodge and chev comparison are pretty close when they are optioned out the same. With in 2k at the worst. So if you paid 8k less when you bought the dodge in 06 and now trade at 2k less than the chevy now you really just saved yourself 6k. Because the chevy just lost a higher percentage of its actual paid for value.

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
I just bought a 2012 Ram Longhorn, my dad has a 2011 Ford King Ranch. I find both of these trucks are in a different class then the GMC. GMC has a good power plant but is an out dated truck in side, I find no appeal in the interior compared to what Ford and Dodge have. My dad has been a GM driver for 30 plus year this king ranch is his first ford product due to GMC did not have any bells and whistles and looked cheep inside. My 2012 Longhorn is the nicest heavy duty offered this year in my opinion. Dash is soft not plastic same with the upper door panels and has every option a guy could want, very nice interior. I have the high out put cummins in my 2012 which has a lot more power then the 2011 cummins but could be late ordered in 2011. Cummins is a great engine and is the only diesel not having to run urea. Thats my finding all 3 brands are making nice trucks these days anyways so all comes down to opinion and how good your dealer is always a deciding factor.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Good info here a few things to add.

Chevy LBZ is not an equal to the Denali. Denali has a higher grade of leather. Actual Cadillac leather.

Denali adds about $1200 to the price of a similarly equipped Gmc SLT. You get standard heated and cooled seats. So you have to pay to add that to SLT. Denali basically is a wheel and trim package. Nicer leather, color matched bumpers, different grill, added chrome, badging, interior trim enhancements, standard bose upgrade stereo, wheel package. I think for $1200 it is completely worth it. What gets expensive besides the diesel is navigation, rear entertainment.

My disappointment in the Denali is no HIDs and they should come with walk up keyless entry(remote In pocket). I predict that will come in 2014 with the new generation. Blind zone alert an intellalink will probably be added as well.

I don't think the dodge interior is as nice and the ride certainly isn't as nice. The transmission doesn't hold a candle to the Allison. Ford might finally have a good motor but it has taken three tries. The ford transmission is much improved but still behind the Allison.

Ford does the gauge cluster right. GM does need to make the DEF tank longer so it doesn't hang down. I assume it was an afterthought.

Only GM offers onstar. And neither does nor Dodge (or any other manufacture for that matter) has a system that comes even close to competing. Crash response Ford has a similar system but not as refined. GM offers remote start through the system, remote vehicle diagnostics, stolen vehicle shutdown, as well as a full audio navigation system, turn by turn.

Yes I'm a GM homer. I wouldn't consider a dodge, this new cummins isn't near as tough as the last 5.8
Their transmission is weak as well.

Ford has a nice package but let's see if they stick with this motor.

GM needs an update, and it is happening in 2014.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont

I have not looked at the new Dodges, so I'm asking genuine questions....they have MORE options than the Ford? With all the Ford computer workstation and internet service and everything? The Nav system with the MP3 options are also available on the Dodges? Cooled seats on the Dodges too?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
Since we are comparing top level trims of all three...

Looks like the Dodge doesn't have A/C seats, heated wheel or a OnStar capable system that allows you to remotely start your vehicle or see diagnostic stuff along with other features. Many of you might be asking, "who needs this stuff?". Well, that's why there are simpler trim levels. ;)

Premium Member
Dec 17, 2007
British Columbia
Dodge has A/C seats, heated wheel, heated rear seats as well. Dodge uses Uconnect which is very similar to Fords Sync set-up. So you get Nav,Mp3, USB port, satellite radio and more. As for GMC OnStar had 2 trucks with it before never used it stopped paying for the subscription as well, be useful if a vehicle got stollen but never had that. The Dodge Longhorn uses a different leather that is top notch, actually had a tag on my seat explaining about were the leather had come from and the unique pattern and stress each seat has. All nice trucks tho some people find different thing important and have different taste, all three offer luxury heavy dutys I'd have no problem driving any of them.

Last edited:
Premium Features