• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro Front End

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Okay...so is it just me, or is anyone else not happy with the front end of the 2010-2011 vs. the 2008-2009?

Let me start off by stating that the 2010 front end is great on the trail, and the 08-09 is a bit sketchy. However, for me the trail is just a means to an end, and I find the new geometry of the spindles to be a bit standoffish while trying to hold or initiate a sidehill. They don't seem to allow you to lay the sled over and hold it with ease. While on the 08-09 I can hold the side effortlessly. Anybody else out there agree?

At first I thought it was the additional width of the 10, but I narrowed the skis and am still not very impressed. I realize the 10 has floats and that could be part of the problem. I have played with the pressure, but still just don't like the new geometry on the mountain. I am even considering taking my 10 front end and putting it on my wife's 09(she doesn't sidehill)but that just seems weird. Am I missing something, or can someone back me up on this?

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Same for me so far.
I can roll my son's 09 right over, while I have to WORK to get my 10 to roll over.

I am still playing with the air pressure trying to find the sweet spot, and plan on taking my skis in to the narrow setting next.

M
Jan 14, 2004
Measure an 08/09 vs a 10 or newer and you'll see. The 08 is 38" c to c and the 10 is I believe 41. Even with the skiis in you'll be wider on the 10 by a couple of inches. I don't get why guys put that 43" Zbroz front end for a mountain sled. If it was me I'd find an 08 front end but thats just how I like my sled to feel. Loose loose loose. We just went thru this last weekend cause a buddy is looking for a turbo Nytro and was testing all the different sleds so we had my 08 another 2010 and an Impusle sled with a Zbroz and for ease of sidehilling and pulling the sled over everyone prefered the 08, 5 different guys.

M5

Last edited:
A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Is there a chance it has more to do with the different rear skid than the front suspension?
Good point. I thought about this, but based on all the other testimony I have read about the kmod I didn't give it a whole lot of thought.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
I did some research on this when I was shopping for some fox shocks. If I'm wrong let me know. 08's had a 17.5" coilover shock, 09's had a 16.5" coilover shock but the same geometry/a-arms as the 08. 2010 MTX's switched to the RTX front end that has a 40" (I believe) ski stance and 17.5" Fox Float 2 Air shocks. The Fox float I am told will cause the sled to sit .5" higher at rest than a coilover.

I had a chance to buy the front end off of a 2010 but decided against it because I like my ski stance as narrow as I can get it. I have the 09 with the 38" stance I believe and now have 17.5" fox floats instead of the 16.5" coilovers. My ski's are in the narrow position and my swaybar is off.

Going from the coilovers to the fox floats I would say make my sled harder to roll on it's side. I have run 50-75 psi in my shocks at elevation and so far I like the 75 because it seems to take the bigger hits better. I didn't get a good comparison on boondocking/sidehilling for the 50 vs. 75psi comparison though.

Not really an opinion just some food for thought.
-Justin

H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
i live in swastika, ont. canada
the wide a-arms made by z-broz and others are strictly for hill-climbers. they are great for front end stability when you're roaring up the hill and don't want to get flipped over. i had a set on my 05 M700LE and with the added width of the ski plastic, it wouldn't go into the back of my truck between the wheel wells anymore. Very hard to roll the sled with that setup, but it has a limited application and it's great at what its meant for, but not really for the average joe.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
I have been fighting the same problem. I have a 09 and 10 as well and noticed the same thing. I installed yamaha's lightweight rear suspension and adjusting my rear shock to 135psi it will sidehill with ease. Before changing your front suspension try adjusting your rear shock. Its worth a shot. How are you liking your turbo?

Last edited:
A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
I have been fighting the same problem. I have a 09 and 10 as well and noticed the same thing. I installed yamaha's lightweight rear suspension and adjusting my rear shock to 135psi it will side hill with ease. Before changing your front suspension try adjusting your rear shock. Its worth a shot. How are you liking your turbo?

The turbo is insane. I love it, but I will admit it is a REAL handful being as difficult as it is to manuever the 2010.

Are you talking the rear of the 2 rear shocks? What do you have your fronts set at?

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Yes. I have the center shock at 100psi and the front shock's at 75psi. I also have simmons gen 3 ski's their new design works awesome. My only complaint is i need more POWER. But im thinking a 180hp kit. Are you running race gas in yours?

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Do you have the OFT steering relocator on your nytro's. They make a big diffrence in sidehilling and boondocking.

Last edited:
A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Are you running race gas in yours?
Pump gas @ 17lbs but to be honest there is rarely the opportunity to really get into it and take full advangage of it. I think a 180 would be nice for most riding. I considered it, but you always want more.

Do you have the OFT steering relocator on your nytro's. They make a big diffrence in sidehilling and boondocking.
I don't have the OFT version on my 10 but I do have one from Impulse. The intercooler requires you to push the post out. My 09 is stock and it honestly doesn't bother me too much.

W

wilmot

Feb 3, 2010
Clearfield, UT
Did you change out your track when you installed turbo? I went up to grandview there was lots of powder and my track wasnt hooking up very well.

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
Every sled that I have ridden with a 16" track has been a handful for me to lay over and sidehill the only exception being an apex. I think skidoos are hard to lay over and I've ridden some cats with the 16". All hard to throw around. I have read a lot of people say that about their nytro also.

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
i have no problem throwing my '10 on it side 70psi in the front 100 and 150 in the skid. i think i have said this before.... set your purses down boys!! use your weight/strength

Premium Features