• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Arctic cat makes it so hard to take my money

T
Jan 10, 2024
Canada
It’s not just about whining about the colour it’s about wanting cat to be able to sell max number of sleds for minimal production costs and I believe that if you make the more expensive model more easily personalized they will sell more sleds and make more money then make more advanced sleds. The old saying k.i.s.s. Keep it simple stupid, colours may not matter to u but maybe a duel rail does or a turbo squeaky wheel gets the grease. Say nothing and nothing changes.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Wow
Did not realize if I tell cat my favorite color they give me a turbo.

Personalization increases costs.

I don’t want cat selling x more.

I like having resale value and dependability.

Let poo win volume, stop rides, and popularity contest.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
It’s not just about whining about the colour it’s about wanting cat to be able to sell max number of sleds for minimal production costs and I believe that if you make the more expensive model more easily personalized they will sell more sleds and make more money then make more advanced sleds. The old saying k.i.s.s. Keep it simple stupid, colours may not matter to u but maybe a duel rail does or a turbo squeaky wheel gets the grease. Say nothing and nothing changes.
I don't believe that Cat will have any problem selling what they can manufacture. I think the problem will be trying to keep up with the demand.
Another problem is Cats dealer network. But maybe when they ramp up production they can gain more dealers.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I'm with you on this.

More options available does increase part numbers and overhead cost. If you don't sell more machines then it doesn't make sense. However, selling more machines = lower production costs that help pay for those options to be offered and more money for the R&D budget to create better machines faster for us. Lots of people believe the Ascender Alpha is a good machine. So was a 2010 M8, but I don't want to still be riding it every day today. Even if an existing platform is good, there are always improvements to be made.

More machine sales also increase the racing budgets. I know a lot of people don't care about this, but racing drives development and testing faster than conventional means. I don't watch basketball and rarely watch an NFL game, but I follow supercross and sled racing. And as a consumer of powersports I like seeing the brand I ride be competitive on these fronts.

I don't believe that Cat will have any problem selling what they can manufacture. I think the problem will be trying to keep up with the demand.
Another problem is Cats dealer network. But maybe when they ramp up production they can gain more dealers.
I bleed green, but there's no way I would want to take on the Cat product line prior to the Catalyst rollout. Too much public perception that they are behind and not on par with Polaris and Ski-doo. They are still behind in the dirt market so even with the Catalyst sleds you need to have good summertime sales.

mountaincat 800

Lifetime Membership
Aug 12, 2001
Utah
I agree if your talking an exclusively Arctic Cat dealer. Most dealers anymore market multiple brands. Arctic Cat will more than likely forever be perceived as not on par with Polaris and Ski-doo.
I don't see that changing because of the Catalyst or anything else.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I agree that multi-line dealerships are the way to go for summer/winter, but around here most dealers only carry one sled line and that's all they have room for. Perception can be changed. KTM was once not on par with the Japanese bikes in MX/SX and now they are one of the Premier brands. They buckled down with a "we want to win" mentality and went after it. Hopefully that is starting back up for Cat, but they haven't proven it yet.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Been away from Cat but following since my 09 M8. Hoping to get back with the Catalyst. What is the perception of Textron's support for their dealers? Do the dealers feel Textron is supporting them and their snow customers properly? The dealer is key in my decision to buy. A good dealer can be severely hamstrung without manufacturer support. Are the dealers enthusiastic about selling the Arctic Cat line? Is Textron ready to stand behind their dealers? Has Textron been standing behind their dealers?

Premium Features