• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken Cap bolt on Secondary

M

mammoth1000

Feb 26, 2010
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Here in California its been a low tide snow year, I have managed to make myself put 350 miles on my PC800. I have only had about 5 days of riding in snow over 2 feet deep. Here in Mammoth were in the midst of getting more snow in 2 days than we have gotten all winter. I have gone the 350 with none of the belt issues and only one lower A-arm,one fox float2,and 1 ski, all one accident (rock). So today I installed my new Powder pro skis, and was putting on my new 084 belt. But the while in the middle of tightening down the cap screw to compress the secondary, the bolt broke off inside the jack shaft. The bolt broke at the start of its threads. Now is where I need the help, I need the sled fixed today. My dealer is backed up, I need to fix it myself. I have basic knowledge on how to chase the broken bolt out, and the tools. But what caused this problem, I know how to take a damn belt off. Is this AC'S bad? Should I let my dealer do it for warranty purposes? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Goin For Snow

Lifetime Membership
Apr 2, 2002
South Haven MN
did you use the washer in the kit? this has much more thread engagement then if you just fllip the spud around. i doubt you will get a warranty work.
this would be a very easy extraction for an easy out.

will take more time to load it up than get the bolt out.:face-icon-small-ton

M

mammoth1000

Feb 26, 2010
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Fixed it! My dealer pulled the bolt off a sled he hasn't sold. Bummer for him not selling the sled, but great for me! I still would like to know why this happened.

jr_ddix

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2008
Not sure what happend here but one thing to watch for when spreading the clutch is the plastic ramps will hit on the inside of the clutch and bind/break off tips. When spread clutch watch that at first and then once past the tips of the ramps you shouldnt have a problem

Phizzer

Premium Member
Oct 23, 2008
Ketchikan, AK
EZ out and a very good drill bit. Just make sure you get started on dead center! Take your time. If can get a good hole drilled for an ez out that thing should come outta there no problem. A little heat wouldnt hurt to when your taking it, just dont melt the bearing. :)

greeneman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 9, 2001
Fairbanks Alaska
EZ out and a very good drill bit. Just make sure you get started on dead center! Take your time. If can get a good hole drilled for an ez out that thing should come outta there no problem. A little heat wouldnt hurt to when your taking it, just dont melt the bearing. :)

Also if you have a left handed bit use it might spin out just by drilling it and if not you still have your hole for the easy out

M

mammoth1000

Feb 26, 2010
Mammoth Lakes, CA
Thanks for the advice fellas! I got it fixed the same day. Just in time for the 3&1/2 feet we got in 12 hours. I'm very pleased with the sled. Bottomless heavy pow and she ran 20 to 30 minute tree climb, boon dockin. With no issues at all. And it's still dumping, we doubled our total winter snow fall in 24 hours!

Premium Features