• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whistler / Brandywine - Looking for someone to ride with

D
Mar 4, 2013
Vancouver
I'm David and I'm both new to this forum and new to the world of snowmobiling. I'm an avid skier, and in the past have spent my weekends at whistler, but I want to push the limits and see what the coast mountains really have to offer! I've been up riding in Brandywine a few times (trails & brandywine meadows), and am interested in exploring the area some more (grizzly lake, etc).

I am wondering if anyone is interested in spending some time helping me improve my sledding and showing me the areas available. I like to push the limits and I am a fast learner.

I've completed my avi course, and have all my own avi gear. I plan on renting a sled through Blackcomb Snowmobile (probably a Rev-XP 600 E-TEC 154") as they have very reasonable rates and are located right in the parking lot at the base of the trail.

I work Monday to Friday, but I can certainly get a day off if there are lots of freshies and the sun comes out!

If anyone is interested, send me a PM or post here

Last edited:
A
Jan 21, 2011
Alger, WA
I am over the border just into WA and am looking to do some exploring too. I have the sled and some riding knowledge but don't have a clue about the area up there sadly. Maybe we can round up a local and see if they will let us tag along. I was hoping to get up Saturday with the forecast looking ok so far.

D
Mar 4, 2013
Vancouver
I know the trail to brandywine meadows - been there a couple times(1400-1600m). Haven't been up to enjoy the alpine yet.

I am free both days this weekend. I have a friend at work who may be able to 'guide' us. I'll let you know.

B

Bburrap

Dec 1, 2008
Squamish BC
Had you thought of...

Hey davedc,

I would have said yes to ya, if not for the fact that tore my achilles in Dec.
Anyway, since there's the fact that you said your renting, and you also wanted to explore and that you needed practice i.e. have someone help you get unstuck!

Why not just do a private tour with Blackcomb Snowmobiles, your renting the sled already from them. Your given a guide, knows the area, riding with you in mind (your stuck he CANNOT ignore that has to come help, he's working for tips!), I use to guide for them. For the guides own benefit they will want you to get better saves time helping you get unstuck.

Don't settle with Grizzly lake push farther in see if you can make it to the snow cat.

I think you'd be surprised how fast you can learn 1 on 1. Oh and forget the 600, your better off with an 800.

That's your play!

D
Mar 4, 2013
Vancouver
Hey davedc,

I would have said yes to ya, if not for the fact that tore my achilles in Dec.
Anyway, since there's the fact that you said your renting, and you also wanted to explore and that you needed practice i.e. have someone help you get unstuck!

Why not just do a private tour with Blackcomb Snowmobiles, your renting the sled already from them. Your given a guide, knows the area, riding with you in mind (your stuck he CANNOT ignore that has to come help, he's working for tips!), I use to guide for them. For the guides own benefit they will want you to get better saves time helping you get unstuck.

Don't settle with Grizzly lake push farther in see if you can make it to the snow cat.

I think you'd be surprised how fast you can learn 1 on 1. Oh and forget the 600, your better off with an 800.

That's your play!

Bburrap,

I've definitely thought of that, but my main consideration for not doing that is price. I did a 4 hour extreme tour with a buddy, and the guide took us up to the bowl, parked his sled, and watched. For that price, I almost rent a sled for two full days. (250/day+tax includes fuel for a 2011 600).

The main reason I posted here instead of just booking a tour is because I want to meet people that I can sled with going forward - I will most likely be buying an 800 next year. :face-icon-small-hap

A
Jan 21, 2011
Alger, WA
I am not familiar with Brandywine specifically but would love to get up above the trees if possible. Let me know if tomorrow works and if you convince your buddy to show us around. I am probably 2 hours or so drive away so I will have to have a decent idea of a time and location if something works out for you guys.

D
Mar 4, 2013
Vancouver
I am not familiar with Brandywine specifically but would love to get up above the trees if possible. Let me know if tomorrow works and if you convince your buddy to show us around. I am probably 2 hours or so drive away so I will have to have a decent idea of a time and location if something works out for you guys.

Just found out he is off today - apparently he is skiing at Whistler. Tough life!

D
Mar 4, 2013
Vancouver
So no go tomorrow? I can always ride local if nothing else pans out up there.

I'm leaning towards the private tour right now. Might be the best option. If I do end up doing that, I should be pretty familiar with the terrain up top. Perhaps we can meet up the following weekend (or mid-week if you can get time off?) and I'll show you the area.

David

B

Bburrap

Dec 1, 2008
Squamish BC
Hey Davedc,

I can promise you that the lameass that was guiding you is a stone! When you go into Blackcomb snowmobile you'd speak to the Jeff Drummond (lummox)he runs the base, if you were to tell him what happened last time with that stone of a guide, he'd make sure that wouldn't happen again! Important to mention how dissatisfied you were but only came back from necessity. Do it for sure. Try for a deal for both days. Tell him Bryan B sent ya, no promise but it might help.

Oh and for your sake don't mention your a rookie.

Oh bring a 6pack it helps to grease the wheels as well.

Have a good ride.

D
Mar 4, 2013
Vancouver
So I ended up doing a 4-hour extreme tour with Blackcomb Snowmobiles (Rob guided us). We went straight to chocolate bowl, then up to Grizzly Lake, up across the Powder Mountain Icecap, and all the way to "the snowcat".

Got a pretty good idea about the area, and definitely want to go back sometime before the season ends!

Here are some pics:

Chocolate Bowl:
20130309at091500.jpg

Near Grizzly Lake:
20130309at102656.jpg

Old, Broken Snowcat:
20130309at102854.jpg

The Toys, and our Guide (Rob):
20130309at102900.jpg

Up on top (Brandywine Icecap). Note the ridge in the background of the picture - it is 3km away!!:
20130309at102911.jpg

Last edited:
S
Mar 24, 2010
coming up!

A couple friends and I are heading up to ride Brandywine and Pemberton on the 22nd of march.If u r interested in a ride let me know.

A
Jan 21, 2011
Alger, WA
That's awesome. I ended up being up there the same day. Pretty sure I saw your group out there. I was the unlucky one with the blown motor. Hopefully they get it choppered out today. Tough introduction to Whistler but I will be back again for sure.

D
Mar 4, 2013
Vancouver
Conditions

The snow was really easy to learn and play in, especially up near powder mountain. Got some sidehilling in, and a little bit of airtime!

@Blk88GR - Snow was fairly set up, skis & track were probably cutting in about 10-12" on the untracked snow. Uphill side was cutting in about 18-24" when sidehilling.

The first photo was taken at 1750m, the second at 1950m, and the last three at the snowcat - about 2250m.

@Bburrap - the morning turned out to be fantastic. I don't think I could have asked for more. Have a very good sense of what is available out there now. I'll definitely be back for more.. and soon!

@atkins13 - Sorry to hear about the engine. Was that you somewhere between Grizzly Lake & Chocolate bowl? We were a little short from time and were ripping back to the lodge, but that was the only area that I remember seeing some people having trouble.

David

N
Nov 26, 2007
Chinook Pass, Wa
great pics. We were up there three weeks ago, had waist deep powder, but couldn't see more than about 100'. Headed back up there on Thursday, weather looks good for Friday, hope so. Awsome place.

D
Mar 4, 2013
Vancouver
Anyone interested in sledding Brandywine around Easter weekend? Post up if you are going to be in the area. It would be great to get a small crew together for a day.

David

Last edited:
L
Feb 22, 2013
Hi Dave,

Could do Friday (possibly and/or Monday).
But I'm a complete Newb. :face-icon-small-sad

-Dennis

'09 RMK 700 155"

Premium Features