• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

A-arms / stock or narrow & which brand??????

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just thought I would bring up the topic of A-arms and the Axys again with snowcheck around the corner.

With about a season on the new Axys, what is the general consensus with regard to ski width, stock 39", 37" or the narrow 36"?????

Obviously many guys have opted for upgrading A-arms but what has been the popular brand to go with???? K-Mod, Z-Broz, Alternative Impact are just a couple.

So, lets here some feedback and some experiences.

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
I just received my Zbroz 36" today. Can't say on the install yet... but am really happy with the build quality. Welds are beautiful and finish is perfect.
They came packaged well so no damage!!! I kinda like that they go on the most factory as far as hardware goes. I ordered them with ball joints, and they came installed so that's nice! High clearance design looks trick and might help...

That said, if Polaris had a slightly beefed up 36" version I woulda gone that route.
The Polaris forged arms are pretty!!!

Think I may still add the offset spindles as well and then just play with the ski spacers if it feels too narrow. (doubt it)

tdorval

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Red Lodge, MT
I've got the 36 zbroz front end on mine and love it. I've been running 36 kits for the last 3 seasons so I'm just used to them. Get in touch with Boston Racing on here he'll hook you up!

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
KMOD 37 is the best choice. They come with all of the hardware installed. They also have the proper geometry for the shocks.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I'm currently running a Pro / 163 / X3 with a set of Alternative Impact 36" arms and the Ice Age Pro-motion rear. The sled is really quick to react and sometimes maybe a little too quick for my taste with my rider weight. I'm just over 6 foot and 240, and it's really quick with my rider input. I'm guessing because of my height and weight, which obviously will be different for everyone. I like to slip through the trees and love to side hill and like everyone else hate the trails!!!!! ha ha. But......sometimes with my current set up, when you want to pull a tight circle or chit hook, it wants to almost give you a "fall over" feeling vs. a planted and controlled tight turn, if that sounds right? Again this just could be the combination of me and the setup??????

I guess I'm wondering, with regard to the Axys what guys have been running for ski width and the feedback as far as handling. Do these Axys "need" the 36 or 37 inch front end, especially for a larger rider?????? My plan is to probably snow check a 17, and more then likely put a set of aftermarket A-arms on again. The big question is, stay with stock width or go narrow and of course, which brand???

And thanks for the input so far guys!!

Boston Racing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colorado Springs, CO
I've got the 36 zbroz front end on mine and love it. I've been running 36 kits for the last 3 seasons so I'm just used to them. Get in touch with Boston Racing on here he'll hook you up!

Our group all has 36 inch and I kept mine 39 (all with zbroz arms) They are all happy and I am switching mine to a 36 inch this week. We all had 36 inch kits on our pros and loved them and the Axys also seems to rock with the 36 inch stance. We have both 39 and 36 inch Zbroz kits in stock and on sale right now. If your interested send me a PM.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
FatDogX-
We are pretty close to the same rider height and weight...
I went and shot in the middle of the game with Kevin's (K Mod) 37".. Requires no shock modification and has an outstanding warranty- The complete set/up is a true bolt on- and so far is very strong.
I find that in the trees it is was more " flickable"
l tested (not by choice) the strength of these v.s. a log- and never looked back.

The skis.. stance with the 37" for me feels more comfortable using the center position of ski placement.
Would I do it again- Yes!
Was it all because of Strength?.. well that is why I initially switched out my stock one's (which I still have, and never a bend in them )- but overall happier with the way the sled handles now, and with our frame... rider input on the AXYS is improved with a mod like this-
It gave me a better feeling of controlled turns and improved response in the tight trees.

Hope this helps-and most kits are pretty competitive.... But I still like how Kevin(K-mod) treats their customers.. Above all price is one thing- but the services is what has kept me coming back over the years.

S/C

Last edited:

turbonium

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2009
wide front end

I have an axys pro and the assault axys this year.
I actually prefer the wide front end of the assault this year on the axys chassis. So easy to tip even wide. especially under boost!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Our group all has 36 inch and I kept mine 39 (all with zbroz arms) They are all happy and I am switching mine to a 36 inch this week. We all had 36 inch kits on our pros and loved them and the Axys also seems to rock with the 36 inch stance. We have both 39 and 36 inch Zbroz kits in stock and on sale right now. If your interested send me a PM.

Are any of these sleds equipped with a 3 inch track Cory?

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT

Couple questions for you:

-How much extra to get all of the hardware already installed on the ZBroz A-arms. I don't want to have to take my bearings/heim joints out of my stock ones. I want true plug and play. It shocks me that they thought this was a good idea in the first place.

-When I talked to ZBroz about the 36" arms they said I would notice some shock binding at full compression. What do you do to battle this problem?

richracer1

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2011
Idaho Falls, ID
Couple questions for you:

-How much extra to get all of the hardware already installed on the ZBroz A-arms. I don't want to have to take my bearings/heim joints out of my stock ones. I want true plug and play. It shocks me that they thought this was a good idea in the first place.

-When I talked to ZBroz about the 36" arms they said I would notice some shock binding at full compression. What do you do to battle this problem?

Pay to have the shocks shortened.

justinkredible56

Lifetime Membership
Dec 24, 2007
Eagle Mountain, UT
Pay to have the shocks shortened.

Your absolutely right, just don't think the majority of people would want to go this route. i.e. - Ship your shocks to Joe Bloe, miss two weekends of riding because the shop is backed up and get charged $100 bucks for a 15 minute job.

I can't remember the specifics but seems like I heard of some kind of adapter that solves this. Anybody know anything?

I hope I'm not derailing the OP's thread, just trying to get some answers about the narrower kits that, hopefully, he wants to know about as well.

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
Im a small guy, ride a 2014 Pro with a 36" alternative impact kit. 36" kit made the sled night and day easier to ride. Rode a buddys Axys with a 39" alt kit, and that was night and day easier than my 36" Pro. Im thinking a 36 kit on the Axys would be overkill, but then again who doesnt want a sled thats easier to ride and roll over? Best thing for you to do would be to spend some time on an axys and decide yourself what YOU want out of the sled. All of that being said if I bought an Axys I would try to get rid of the weak arms asap. I like the looks of the KMOD 37 kit, could run the skis centered and be close to stock width, no need to change shock length or ball joints, and I have heard zero complaints about their front end.

I wouldnt hesitate to recommend Alternative Impact if you decide on a 36 or 39 kit. Zero experience with Zbroz. Not much ride time on the Axys but enough to get a good feel for the sled.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
Or get the KMOD 37 and ride it like you stole it. Stock shocks work fine with them.

S
Nov 2, 2009
Hugo, MN
I've ridden mine all year stock arms. no issues. Hit some stuff decent, even gotten off to look and see if bent. So far so good. I'm happy with the stockers.

As far as width I cant imagine going narrower myself. This sled is so fast to react and so easy to turn its crazy.
Coming from a pro you will find it alot easier to ride in stock width than a 36" pro front end!

B

bailer

Nov 26, 2007
Saskatoon
Started with the Zbroz 36 install. Plan was to run the factory shocks but I really think there is too much binding at full droop, even with the spindle trimming they recommend.

Shouldn't have cheaped out I guess, think I'll order their spindles and shocks tomorrow. Full Zbroz front end that by the time it comes to Canada is more than I choose total up ?

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Started with the Zbroz 36 install. Plan was to run the factory shocks but I really think there is too much binding at full droop, even with the spindle trimming they recommend.

Shouldn't have cheaped out I guess, think I'll order their spindles and shocks tomorrow. Full Zbroz front end that by the time it comes to Canada is more than I choose total up ?

The only thing needed to stop the binding with the stock shocks is about 3/16" of washers under the upper ball joint.

P
Aug 14, 2011
Duluth, MN
Love my 37" kmod on my '16 axys. I bought it Because it was bolt on no work required with ball joints and bushings, and 37" didn't require modifying the factory shocks. Works absolutely phenomenal was a little tippy at first on the trail but I got used to it. 45 degree and steeper sidehills it feels right at home 100% control, stopping, downhill turns ect.

xmk1080

Lifetime Membership
Sep 23, 2008
I went with the ZBROZ and have no regrets at all, I also put the heavier ball joints in the uppers from the flatlander axys, install was easy you just have to be careful when pressing the ball joints. Press only on the ball joint base itself, you may have to make a special tool with a thin sleeve or use a deep well 12 point sock and grind the inner for clearance.

I started in the middle with mine, which measured 36 inches and now I now I have it narrowed all the way to 35 inches and that's where it's staying, I absolutely love the narrow stance! And who ever says you can't ride wrong foot forward on an axys doesn't know what there talking about :) I opened up a whole new riding style for me! I'm still going to put 1/2 inch spacers in my shocks and try some triple rate springs, also have some shorter spindles that I may try.

Premium Features