• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

BDX Air Intake Question

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
I just put the bdx air intake on my 08 M1000. Where should I be putting the air intake sensor out of the stock box? I have a pretty bad bog now from about 6800 to 7400 and I think it may have something to do with the sensor.

Thanks in advance for any ideas,

Jim

smokindave

Canada Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Calgary Alberta
There is a hole at the back where it goes into the plenum,just on top if I remember correctly.It has a hole with two little ones on each side for the little plastic plugs.
Make sure you also silicone up any cracks,as it will vacuum snow around your airbox.

Dave

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Three words, Read The Directions! :D

Lol.....not being a jerk here but your post just reminded me how good the directions were that came with the BDX kit. Full color photos in the directions and nice templates for drilling all the holes in the nose cone. Always makes me happy when a company puts in that extra effort to include clear concise instructions on their product.

R

rcditchpickle

Nov 26, 2007
MISSOULA MT
There is a spot to put it on the back side. the bog that you are getting is at the RPM range that your exhaust valves are opening. Fuel mapping at this RPM is a arctic cat problem that can be fixed with a fuel controler. The BDX will suck under hood heat as well this does not help the problem. You need to get cold clean air to the engine. I know everyone will say that is why I got the BDX Box. Try running it with out the hood on it and let me know if the bog is still there, I bet it goes away.
Good luck.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
check to make sure the clear tube on the ecu isn't pinched or have something in it. But at that rpm range it sounds like the pv are struggling to open. disconnect cables and make sure they are easy to pull(no bining) and clean your power valves, your servo motor could be going out as well. another guy had this problem and found out all of his coils where bad and not creating enough spark, not sure if that fixed it though. I would put new plugs in first.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
The sensor goes in the same exact spot that it came out of on the old box.

if you do the install correctly, there is no reason for it to take air from underhood, not sure why someone would say this. It's not a timbersled, the whole point is to get it away from the heat.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
The sensor goes in the same exact spot that it came out of on the old box.

if you do the install correctly, there is no reason for it to take air from underhood, not sure why someone would say this. It's not a timbersled, the whole point is to get it away from the heat.

X2.. prob just what his dealer told him.

The only way it might pull hot air is if the pow was heavy wet and over the hood, which would plug any other intake off and create so much heat under the hood there is no way the stock one would be any better.

B
Nov 26, 2007
screw that intake. its a peice of crap. use Timbersled or Stock with a mesh hood. Hope you enjoy snow all over your motor intake when ur holes tear. and with a skid plate. So your Gona drill thru 2 layers or cut it back Thus Limiting ur Protection. Thats why you bought the skid plate Correct? I know im gona catch chit for this. But its a POS intake.

J

jfox1995

Jan 12, 2008
Thanks for the help guys...I guess I just didn't see the mounting spot for the intake sensor. I also don't recall any mention of it in the directions, but maybe I just can't read.

By the sounds of it I have a power valve issue. I only rode the sled one time last year when I bought it. It already had the 09 reflash and updates done. I never rode it with the stock can installed, but it did run better than it does now with the intake on. Would I be better off going back to the stock intake and can?

I do plan on checking the valves and cables to see if everything is working properly, but any other suggestions would be greatly appreciated. I am leaving for the Snowies in a week and don't want to have issues when I am that far from home.

Thanks again,
Jim

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
screw that intake. its a peice of crap. use Timbersled or Stock with a mesh hood. Hope you enjoy snow all over your motor intake when ur holes tear. and with a skid plate. So your Gona drill thru 2 layers or cut it back Thus Limiting ur Protection. Thats why you bought the skid plate Correct? I know im gona catch chit for this. But its a POS intake.

Your right. you are going to catch chit. I have beat the pi$$ out of mine, bounced of trees ect... and it is looking pretty ragged but still holding, I hit a large tree and broke the plastic between two of the drilled holes and it still works great. Its also the cheapest on the market and has the highest flow. Oh, and I don't even have a skid plate and have never had snow on my motor because of this intake.

As for your bog you may want to read this thread http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=190948

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO

so you should install an intake that costs $100+ more which is less complete, and weighs more?

If you want the performance of the timbersled intake... all you have to do is use 1/3 of the stuff that BD-X gives you for less money & you're set. Then you can suck in all that underhood heat like a t-sled setup.

If you want the nose cone intakes but want something a bit more replaceable or fixable, there are options out there like using intake bezels, or (what I do) using a bra from an 06 snopro which covers the intakes & also goes over the front hood vents keeping the snow out completely. either of those options cost you minimal $$ (still WAY less than a timbersled) if you're the type that really pounds through the brush.

or you could get the underengineered, over priced timbersled setup, what they have is well made, but it's a step back in that it takes you from an M sled with a cold air intake, back to the ZR chassis where it gets it's air from underhood & also does NOTHING to keep the snow out of the engine compartment.

E

elvis1280

Apr 23, 2009
STEAMBOAT SPGS, CO
backcountry, i agree to some extent. i bought the bdx rode 150 miles and it lost its hydrophobic properties. snow traps beneath the box and it sucks. it has the best flow though and the timbersled is so expensive and it doesnt' suck air as good. they both stink and i have made my own w/ the stock cut in half and slp pre filter over top. short and hidden and sick.

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Has anyone tried Cutlers intake? It looks like it seals better?

I get a gooey white mess that drips from the front of my sled with the BDX intake. Snow is mixing with gas and oil that spits out of my throttle bodies. I checked my reeds and they look good.

Last edited:
J

JasonAK

Dec 5, 2007
Has anyone tried Cutlers intake? It looks like it seals the better?

I get a gooey white mess that drips from the front of my sled with the BDX intake. Snow is mixing with gas and oil that spits out my throttle bodies. I checked my reeds and they look good.

I spent hours sealing my BDX intake and still had this problem. Snow would get into the intake "box area" then melt and ice up on the pre-filter material. When the sled would thaw out the water would mix with the oil in the intake tube.

For me the problem was more evendent when the temps hovered around 0 degrees and the snow was real fine.

The vent kit for the nose only lasted half season before I had to replace.

I sold the rest of the intake and went bak to stock.

Jason

Premium Features