• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

16' M8000 ECU Code 005

S
Feb 14, 2012
I'm getting ECU code 005 on my 2016 M8000. The code is for an open or short in the air intake temp sensor. I have searched high and low and haven't been able to figure it out. Tried a new sensor even though the old one ohm'd out fine. I have continuity from the sensor plug to the plug at the ecu and everywhere in between. I have checked all the other pins with the ohm meter to and can't find another pin/wire that it's shorting against. using the ohm multi meter it doesn't appear to be ground to the chassis either. I checked the fuses and all was good there. I even checked all the spots that are accessible where the main harness is zip tied to the chassis thinking maybe a zip tie location had rubbed through a spot so I clipped the ties and opened up the loom and checked the wires in those locations. I did fine one that was rubbed 1/2 way through but it wasn't the air temp sensor wire, fixed that while I was in there. I even jumpered a wire from the sensor to the downstream side of the main plug at the console to eliminate a chance the plugs weren't making a good connection and I still have the code showing up. I'm about at a loss at this point.

Could the ECU or gauge be causing the issue. If not I'm pretty much out of ideas. Any help at this point would be great!

S
Feb 14, 2012
Man, this place is a ghost town, not a single reply but also didn't get shuffled down the forum list! anyway, This is an update for anyone that runs into the same issue. I swapped out the gauge with no luck. I then swapped the ECU which appears to have solved the problem. The machine is not in ride-able condition currently so I only ran it in the shop but after 5-10 minutes, no code, throttle was crisp and clean. I let it set a while, restarted a couple times and all appears good. so after many many hours looking for a short or broken wire, turns out it was the ECU.

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Never saw the post or I would have suggested what you tried. Good on you for all the diligent diagnostic work. Sometimes this forum is all about Doo and Poo anymore. Hopefully Catalyst reawakens the Cat side of things.

E
Sep 13, 2019
I’m having the same issue and I replace the sensor and the ecu and I still have the code on my gauges I don’t now what else to try any ideas would be much appreciated.

Premium Features