• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Nytro Float Plate -Yay or Nay!

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
As for float, well the first time I rode after installing it was during a series of 2-3ft powder days, and my first down hill turns were insane. It seemed like a dramatic improvement over the day previous without the plate. Full on float, totally seemed like the front became a feather, but then again, that could have been totally psychological. I could've just been hella stoked on getting my best turns of the year.

anyone else find the same result with theirs?

B
Jan 16, 2010
Northern Utah
-not a fan of float plates

I only tried the Skinz plate and I really can't say I thought it helped that much in the pow. Considering how we as Nytro owners are concerned with weight I didn't see the point in having an extra 15Lbs of snow and ice built up on the front of my sled.

As you can see from the pic after hitting a rock with the opening that is there to prevent snow/ice buildup it caused a gash that just scooped more and more snow inside. I trimmed off the damaged plastic so it wouldnt scoop anymore but it still did and I wound up with a 4 to 5 inch tall chunk of ice build up between the sled and the skidplate. Which pulled the mounting bolts out and damaged some of my plastic.

I highly recommend NOT doing this mod.

IMG_1050.jpg

T

twincam88

Oct 10, 2009
yorkton sask
the dealer here is taking them all off because of customer complaints and putting on the little one. imo they are junk and look a little goofy! plus it is harder to grab your front bumper.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
This is what you guys need. That plastic snow shovel has good intentions but just doesn't cut it in the real world.

Skpl Fnl 2.jpg

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Roest,

even though I haven't used the product I will agree with you. That looks like a nice functioning skid plate that will give real protection from hidden rocks in the pow.

Thanks, its like armor plating the bottom of your sled. Protects your subframe tubing, engine sump, and last but not least your heat exchanger. Fasteners are all recessed or hidden. Once its installed it really ties things together underneath.

T

tranquillicer

Nov 27, 2007
Sask. Canada
Skid

The Yammie skid plate will fill with snow/ice and eventually pull the mounting screws out of the sled or pull the heads through the plate. There is an issue with the oil pan(sump) hanging down there waiting to take a hit and that would likely be ugly. Some sort of protection would be bonus. My Yammie plate is leaning against the shop wall though so I'm looking for something better too.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
The Yammie skid plate will fill with snow/ice and eventually pull the mounting screws out of the sled or pull the heads through the plate. There is an issue with the oil pan(sump) hanging down there waiting to take a hit and that would likely be ugly. Some sort of protection would be bonus. My Yammie plate is leaning against the shop wall though so I'm looking for something better too.

Those are 2 of the main problems with the plastic skidplates. They become a second layer of material and hydraulic when moisture freezes between them. Because they are attached with those cheesy rivnuts the hydraulic forces win. The fasteners are exposed as well. Have none of these problems with the Roest skidplate.

Premium Features