• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha review

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Adjust the shocks. U can tune a lot into or out of the steering.
Probably never as easy as doo though.

Yah, we didn't screw with it at all, it was set up by a dealer that knew what pressures to put in the shocks for his weight. I am sure we could dial it in a bit.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I hope the steering isn't that bad. That was one of the appealing things with the gen 4. I have really cranky concrete shoulders and a bone spur.

Devilmanak, what did you think of the alpha? How did it compare with the rest. Sounds like everything was there.

I didn't ride it much, but did notice that it is VERY easy to over-ride. Carving out of one of my tracks into fresh, I almost flopped over on the side. I watched the owner over-ride it several times and flop over.
I thing that the real test will be to see how it works on hard spring snow.

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
I’m glad you said this ^^
Skidoo steering is light! i have a hard time finding my balance on harder steering sleds, feels like it pushes me off.. this is 1 thing that would be hard for me to overcome.. so tempted by this alpha tho! Decisions!.!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I just don't get it. My son's 16 M6000 is the same way, it takes a ton of effort to steer the bars. I am not sure if it is because of the steering system having more friction or due to ski pressure? My kid's sled needs less front arm pressure, it trenches, but if I lighten it up it will be unrideable for him. (He is 8.) He is getting it quick, but watching him try to manhandle the bars makes me feel bad and wish I had $11000 to buy him a Doo 600R! I almost put him on my 19 Doo today to see if it was easier for him, but knew that if it was, I would have to get a loan. (He got the M6000 after he rode my 850 on the lake last year and refused to ride his 340 again, lol.)

Devilmanak

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Donnelly, ID
Bundle her up! Lol. Only $2000 to equip someone with Klim!
This is a horrible family sport. ;)
My kid's sled also has Grippers on it, could be part of it. I should stick some less aggressive skis on it.
I just inquired about the price on a 600 Alpha and a 600R Doo. For grins.
If I could sell Tater's 340 Mod and M6000 and come close to the price of a new one.......
Or I could do what I did and ride a flippin' 94 ZR580 in the mountains.
Hmmmm.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Bundle her up! Lol. Only $2000 to equip someone with Klim!

This is a horrible family sport. ;)

My kid's sled also has Grippers on it, could be part of it. I should stick some less aggressive skis on it.

I just inquired about the price on a 600 Alpha and a 600R Doo. For grins.

If I could sell Tater's 340 Mod and M6000 and come close to the price of a new one.......

Or I could do what I did and ride a flippin' 94 ZR580 in the mountains.

Hmmmm.
Grippers are pretty easy to steer compared to others.

dboivin

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2013
Michigan
got a set of slydogs. if we ever get snow i'll let you know if they are any good. :)

i had grippers on my 18, couldn't stand the cat ski's.
48076036_10218958011330288_1696105086524063744_o.jpg

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I just don't get it. My son's 16 M6000 is the same way, it takes a ton of effort to steer the bars. I am not sure if it is because of the steering system having more friction or due to ski pressure? My kid's sled needs less front arm pressure, it trenches, but if I lighten it up it will be unrideable for him. (He is 8.) He is getting it quick, but watching him try to manhandle the bars makes me feel bad and wish I had $11000 to buy him a Doo 600R! I almost put him on my 19 Doo today to see if it was easier for him, but knew that if it was, I would have to get a loan. (He got the M6000 after he rode my 850 on the lake last year and refused to ride his 340 again, lol.)

I put a set of lower Alt.impact A-arms on my 13Xm and the steering was quite a bit harder, so I would guess the steering effort more related to balljoint a than shock/ski pressure adjustment

You guys would be fighting over the 600’s Cat or Doo!!

600’s Would be a Hoot!!

D
Mar 13, 2014
Only thing that I did NOT like is the amount of effort it takes to steer the thing. Granted, I am used to effortless Doo steering, but I could feel it in my arms after 5 minutes on the Alpha.

I ride a G4 and last year I rode my buddies cat for the first time, never been on one. I could not believe how hard it was to get it to steer and I am 6'3 240. My same CAT friend rode an Alpha last weekend and loved it and I do trust his feedback because even he was skeptical. But I was still thinking how I would like coming from my G4, the Alpha probably felt effortless to him...I don't know. At this point if I was buying a new sled I would have to try it out though no doubt.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I put a set of lower Alt.impact A-arms on my 13Xm and the steering was quite a bit harder, so I would guess the steering effort more related to balljoint a than shock/ski pressure adjustment

You guys would be fighting over the 600’s Cat or Doo!!

600’s Would be a Hoot!!

Keep in mind the a arms could have increased ski pressure (changed height) which would increase steering effort.

An easy test would be lubing the balljoints.

Vertical-Extreme

Lifetime Membership
Sep 15, 2008
Airdrie, Alberta
www.airdriejudo.ca
Hard steering in the cat chassis is 100% suspension set up. The way the dealers set them up they will have the hardest steering as well.
Try 60 in the skis, 65-75 in the center and 135 in the rear (if your 260 geared up) I'm 160-165 w/o gear and run 60-70-125. All typically clicker 2. Ski pressure and steering effort is minimal

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
Hard steering in the cat chassis is 100% suspension set up. The way the dealers set them up they will have the hardest steering as well.
Try 60 in the skis, 65-75 in the center and 135 in the rear (if your 260 geared up) I'm 160-165 w/o gear and run 60-70-125. All typically clicker 2. Ski pressure and steering effort is minimal

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I’m talking more about powder sidehill skis up kind of thing
But ya I agree, on trail skis down ski pressure has a huge part of hard steering

PaulAnd

Premium Member
Oct 17, 2010
Northern IL.
I’m talking more about powder sidehill skis up kind of thing
But ya I agree, on trail skis down ski pressure has a huge part of hard steering

I also agree that Doo W/tmotion
Can be a sloppy floppy mess at times

Hope I get a chance to try out the Alpha this season!

High Country

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
Canada
Got out on mine this weekend 1st ride. Sled is unreal. I did things Ive never done on a sled. Went into a turn out on a super steep hill in tight trees, went straight vertical like a re entry then pointed the sled still vertical down hill while still at wot, hold it there for a moment, then manipulate the direction I wanted to lay the front end back down. It was stupid fun.

Only things I noticed were it's less predictable than my 18 is slow moving both skis on the ground tracking through an old hard track on a half ass sidehill trail, if you dip a ski off the track it will want to push it downhill quicker. Luckily you can pop the throttle and get it on one ski real quick and recover. Biggest thing I noticed is elevator's are way harder now. The sled just keeps digging into the hill and wanting to stay in it instead of sliding out. Its crazy but makes sense. I feel this thing is gonna hold the steepest hills like a monster. Just gotta watch if you stop on a steep sidehill and want to get off the sled. Make sure its stuck in the snow well cause it wants to pull itself back level to where the track doesn't flex.

Donuts are a hoot. Can lay this sled so far on its side and not wash the track out sideways. Did it once but I had to put a lot of effort in to do so. Sled pops back up level so nice compared to my 18.

Skis, well I still think I like the grippers better, but I want to ride it in different snow conditions before I can really give the stock skis a good review. Snow I rode had some setup catchy pow so it felt like the ski handles didnt dip in and out of the snow as clean as the gripper. That tiny bit of extra length might have made it feel more catchy too. Still need more time, but I bet in deep fresh snow they will be great.

The 154 did have more wheelie than my 18 153, but not too much where it hurt me or made me wish I had gotten a 165. It's easily controllable. Traction is amazing.

I sold my highly modded and turbod axys this fall because I liked riding my 18 MC better last year with minimal mods. Glad I sold the axys and got the Alpha. Just wished I would have snowchecked like I usually do.

very good review spot on.... as several others have also stated

I was down riding Vail pass last week everything stated seems spot on....including the tether getting around the pull cord handle...lol
this sled is a true blast to ride can not wait to get it into deeper snow.
thing climbs and sidehills like a champ far exceeded my expectations and truly easier to ride making you a better rider.
And yes watch the elevators
smile.gif

I snow checked the 154 and started to think I should have went 165 however not now after riding it ...very happy with my purchase !

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Out of habit, i always grab the tether cord with one hand and hold it on the bars(out of the way) and start the sled with the other hand.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I got to do a little side hill slalom through some trees.
Very comfortable to drop below and climb above the trees. It just Sticks to steep sidehills. Parking on a sidehill does require a little extra throttle to set the track vs Mtn Cat.
The climbing is very impressive.

I did fall over in the road. Parked with Very slight off camber. Got back on sled, pulled the rope, before it was halfway out the sled started falling over so i stepped off, only knee deep but the sled kept falling over knocking me down. I am sure it was quite comical to everyone around.

Premium Features