• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alpha review

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Rode the alpha back to back all day with my 18 that a buddy rode. Alpha is just a lot easier to ride, and less taxing on your body. Im keeping the stock skis on. They dove in and out of fresh pow almost the same as the gripper. Both skis are good and ride similar. Even my buddy thought the alpha was a leap up from my 18 and his stock 16 axys

And I was wrong on the wyo steering mod on the 18. The tie rods are bending against the shock, not the a arm.

B
Nov 1, 2008
Anyone else filling up with snow under the hood? Clutch wasn't slipping but those steering boots were completely packed and the steering was freezing up. I am sure my hood was on correctly. don't think the snow is coming in through the boots on the steering as they were packed completely and bulged out. ????

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
Anyone else filling up with snow under the hood? Clutch wasn't slipping but those steering boots were completely packed and the steering was freezing up. I am sure my hood was on correctly. don't think the snow is coming in through the boots on the steering as they were packed completely and bulged out. ????
It's been an issue since 2012.
The only time i had issues is when i didn't bring the sled in to the garage after each ride.

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
I do put this sled in the shop every ride and thaw it. this was just in one ride.
Must have been really deep and really cold?

These ascenders are much better at keeping snow out than the proclimb.
Only places to get a bunch of snow is the top of the side panels and goggle bag area.
If snow is over the hood , ur gonna get snow inside unless u have frogskins.

I thought about drilling or punching a few small holes in the bottom of the rubber boots to let the water drain out.....

B
Nov 1, 2008
Must have been really deep and really cold?

These ascenders are much better at keeping snow out than the proclimb.
Only places to get a bunch of snow is the top of the side panels and goggle bag area.
If snow is over the hood , ur gonna get snow inside unless u have frogskins.

I thought about drilling or punching a few small holes in the bottom of the rubber boots to let the water drain out.....

You bet, deep and -17 C.

I will look into these frogskins.

Thanks

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Didn't get a co.plete idea of what I thought on the first ride because my snap ring come out of upper idler wheel and track was riding below and rubbing on drop bracket. Couldn't get it back in on the mountain. Crammed some wood I cut with a combo of electrical tape and zip ties to get it out. Sh!t happens but kind of a let down. Has traction, quicker handling,there is a bit of a learning curve andsucks on trail .

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
got a set of slydogs. if we ever get snow i'll let you know if they are any good. :)

i had grippers on my 18, couldn't stand the cat ski's.
48076036_10218958011330288_1696105086524063744_o.jpg

Have slydog Attacks on both my alpha and 18' now and love them. Butter smooth on the trail carve like no tomorrow in the powder. I would say a tad better than the stock 19' ski. I would have stayed with the stock 19' ski, but i really wanted a ski other than black.

Catintree

Lifetime Membership
Sep 17, 2009
Put on 80 miles this last weekend in the Snowies on 154" Alpha. Even though the snow was not super deep I was really impressed with the traction this thing gets and how easy it gets on top of the snow. I could stop going up hill and take off again and not get stuck where my buddy on his 16' was getting stuck just trying to follow. The better mid range torque of this motor is not just brochure hype, it along with the stock clutching made this sled pull like a mod sled. Might be more to gain in the clutching once fully broken in. As far as handling it still feels like a cat only so much easier to steer and ride. It is a look and go sled with little input, where you look is where you go. During the first hour I thought my riser was loose and I was bending the bars because it just laid over so easy and the front end was so light when on the throttle. Had the suspension set up 65 front, 55 mid, 125 back and I weigh 185. Stand to the front and it would just climb till you let off, stand half way back and the front end was super light and playful. I also rode a 165 alpha (don't know what his suspension was at) but it felt much more planted kept the front down, harder to wheelie over a hole. The trade decision was between an 18 holdover and this Alpha, after riding it the price difference quickly became something my wife will have to get over:face-icon-small-hap

Last edited:
Premium Features