• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

08 M1000 Sno Pro Project

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
08 M1000 Sno Pro Project *Finished Pictures Added*

S7300219.jpg

Well here is the new project sled. At the end of last season it went down a hill backwards on ice, rolled six or so times, and then tomahawked four or so times. Finally it landed on it's skiis, pointed downhill and went through 3 trees until the right a-arm assembly finally stopped the sled on one of the bigger trees. So here she is. The tunnel is bent, steering post is bent, hood is destroyed, handlebars are toast (except for the custom carved larch tree handlebars) and some other more minor things are busted. I got this snowmobile from my uncle for a steal (since he wrecked it and didn't want to fix it) and i look forward to re-building it and throwing all the light weight components possible at it. My sled is an 06 m7 that i love riding because of the flickability it has and i hope to get this sled to feel identical, or as close to the m7. I thought it would be interesting to put updates on the sled as i go along fixing it for everyone to see. Hope you guys enjoy it.

S7300221.jpg

As you can tell ive already started ripping down some of it...

S7300223.jpg

S7300224.jpg

S7300225.jpg

S7300222.jpg

These handlebars are patent pending...

Last edited:
S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
What tunnel R you going with? You should buy the telescopic steering post setup for it also. Ditch the suitcase can and go with a ypipe/pipe/stinger combo. Then go with the timbersled rear mtn tamer skid and a power claw!!!!

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
Untitled-1.jpg

Here's a document that i have been working on sort of to give me a little basis to go off of as far as what i want to get, price, and weight loss if any. I haven't decided on a tunnel just yet. I really like the looks of VA tunnels on the m's but i haven't read alot of good opinions on them on snowest.

Some parts i already have ordered are:
from fastlane i got a 4" rise steering post, no-sno running boards, and some billet bushing kits.
I also have a timbersled mtn tamer suspension coming. I'm debating on what track to run though right now. The powerclaw sounds great, but i'd like to see some more hard evidence on it. I am also thinking of going down to a 156x2.5 challenger extreme.
I have already gotten a BDX black boxx intake for it, just waiting to take all the plastics off to get them painted possibly.

The motor isn't sitting crooked, it just looks like it in the picture since the sled is leaning to the left like a cholo.

Last edited:
T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
Well it's been a couple weeks and not many changes to the sled itself have taken place, except i got another stock takeoff tunnel to replace the bent up one. I know I know... it's not as fancy or cool looking as an aftermarket tunnel, but i figured that i could save over a grand this way and invest that money into other things that would have a greater benefit.

S7300235.jpg

Parts have been arriving and many are on the way to the powder coater to get done up.

The fastlane 4" rise steering post is very nice. I took it down to the post office and weighed it versus the stock post to see if it really is what it claims. The fastlane post weighed in at 1 pound 13.8 ounces. The stock post with a 4" powermadd riser weighed 3 pounds 5.3 ounces.

The fastlane bushing kit weighed in at 5.9 ounces still in the packaging. I'll get some numbers up for the stock bushings when i get them all pulled out.
Fastlane - 5.9 ounces
Stock - 14.4 ounces
I noticed that on the fastlane website they now include in the busing kit the long bushings that go inside the arms. Mine didn't come with these. I imagine the weight savings would be even greater since these seem to be the heaviest bushing in the whole kit.

Last edited:

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Have you decided what front end you're going with??? Just curious as the cro-mo a-arms vs the timbersled set-up is quite a price diff, trying to get an idea if its worth the difference.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
Have you decided what front end you're going with??? Just curious as the cro-mo a-arms vs the timbersled set-up is quite a price diff, trying to get an idea if its worth the difference.

Haven't decided yet, but i do know that i won't be doing the timbersled front. My 08 already has the tighter turning radius spindles as compared to the 05/06. Plus i already have fox floats so it doesn't really seem like that great of a deal to me to spend $1500. I have a guy that got the fastlane a-arms so i was waiting to hear exactly how much of a weight difference there is between those and stock. Diamond s makes some titanium ones that i would really like to get...

V

vinnie

Nov 26, 2007
Mitchell,SD
Alternative Impact has the best price on titanium a-arms. I'd check them out, have 3 sets tough as @#@#!

Last edited:
T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
Sorry i haven't updated this in awhile. I got all the parts now pretty much, i'm just waiting for some minor stuff like a flap, grips, hand warmer elements, and some other odds and ends.

I was amazed by the weight savings that i got from doing a skinz silencer. On the website they say that you lose 11.5 lbs. I took both cans to the post office and weighed them in.
Stock - 20 lbs 8 oz
Skinz - 7 lbs 9 oz
I'm pretty happy with that, considering the price of most other weight saving mods.

I'll get some pics up hopefully tonight.

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Very nice... you got it out on the snow yet? How's it holding up? Everything you hoped for... nice build man... congrats!!

T
Nov 29, 2007
Wuhan, WA
No i'm holding off on the lightweight seat until i can get one for cheap. A seat isnt that special to me and i'd rather lose weight under the hood and off the center.

I've had the sled out three times now and it pulls very hard. It's alot easier to throw around than a stock m1000 so that's good, but it still doesn't feel like my m7. I got a set of powder pro's to throw on as well.

Premium Features