• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Enclosed trailer / portable heat ???

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Just looking for a little advice, thoughts or experience.

Been thinking about adding heat to my trailer, a 7X30 (about 200 square feet) aluminum and came across something I thought about trying...

Now, let me start by saying, I'm not camping in the trailer and really don't plan on spending a ton of time in the trailer.......rather be riding!! ha ha.

I'm looking for something to put a little heat into the trailer for the end of the day when we get back to the trailer after a good ride. Basically put a little heat in the trailer to relax, change out of gear, hang out for a few minutes and then roll out. Not really interested in keeping the trailer heated while rolling down the rode.

So I came across these Mr. "Big Buddy" heaters and the reviews seem decent??? It's an 18K BTU portable, indoor safe heater.

Here's a link,
http://www.mrheater.com/sporting/big-buddy-portable-heater.html

I know years past, the review weren't that great but it seems these newer ones may be better???? Anyways, just looking for a little input or thoughts????

Thanks!

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Elevations seem to have an effect on them when we are hunting elk at a camp at 8500ft they are at best 75 % of btu rated but do run clean I run a generator and a 1500 watt milk house heater

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The problem you are going to run into is TIME.

What you want is a sudden burst of HEAT to warm up the trailer for the 30 minutes or so you want to use it before you head home after a long day on the mountain.

Sadly that means you want as MANY BTUs in as few minutes as possible.

While the Big Buddy will throw out some heat, it will only be felt right in front of it. I don't think you will ever build up any residual heat in the trailer box itself.

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Last edited:
V

volcano buster

Nov 26, 2007
Stayton Oregon
I have one in my trailer (8.5 x 18) for the early mornings when it is cold out.

Jump out of the warm truck, run the sleds out of the trailer, then roll the rubber backed rug out and fire up the heater. It usually only runs about 10-15 minutes to knock the chill off while you gear up. I seldom remember that it has a fan in it as well. The kids like it as they can stay suited up and keep warm if I'm out doing something.

A forced air furnace would be my preference but I may be moving up to a 4 place trailer so I won't bother in this one.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I have one in my trailer (8.5 x 18) for the early mornings when it is cold out.

Jump out of the warm truck, run the sleds out of the trailer, then roll the rubber backed rug out and fire up the heater. It usually only runs about 10-15 minutes to knock the chill off while you gear up. I seldom remember that it has a fan in it as well. The kids like it as they can stay suited up and keep warm if I'm out doing something.

A forced air furnace would be my preference but I may be moving up to a 4 place trailer so I won't bother in this one.

So you're saying it actually works?????? Can you provide more details????

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
Thanks for the input guys, I know I may be asking for too much here but I was really curious on this.

I wouldn't mind adding a nice heating system but honestly, I'm not sure how much I would actually use it?????? When we get back after a days ride it's nice to relax a little but I also want to load up and get back too..........

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
more for in the morning kick sleds out turn on heater and wait 5 min and the trailer is at 70* go get dressed in the trailer and go.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
more for in the morning kick sleds out turn on heater and wait 5 min and the trailer is at 70* go get dressed in the trailer and go.

Yeah, that's what I'm looking for..........if this would work like that ???

Experiences???

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
Yeah, that's what I'm looking for..........if this would work like that ???

Experiences???

had one in my large 3 place 23x8.5 trailer for the last 4 years. most of the time after about 15 min we have to turn it down. mount it as far forward as you can. the spot closest to the heater on the truck side will be the cold spot. creates a convection as the heat rises it pulls the cold air from the floor, heat moves to the back of the trailer and the cold air moves to the bottom of the heater. use 4" L brackets from your local hardware store to mount in about 1" off the wall and about a foot from the floor to the bottom. its made to heat a 1000 sf and your only heating 200 sf. i Also have a wire closet shelf above it about 18" from the ceiling we put helmets and gloves above to warm up. I mounted the propane outside on the tongue on my first one but didn't like how the road grime was so the second one was mounted in the V about 4' off the floor. keeps the tank warm and clean just make sure you check for leaks.

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Agreed!
Mostly use it BEFORE the ride or at night to WRENCH on a sled or to MELT a sled for an over-night trip somewhere.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Mr. Heater Model HS35LP

Here is another one to consider. . . Mr. Heater Model HS35LP

I mounted this to the front of the V in the trailer at floor level with handle down and wheels not folded out. It fits right up against the trailer and is attached to the wall with 4 clamps. I run a long hose to the propane tank that sits a few feet away, and mounted a 12v fan above it that blows down toward the floor at an angle (not right at the heater) so the rising heat is circulated in the trailer. At 35k BTU output, this thing will run you out of there in about 10 minutes. The downside is that there is no way to turn it down and it puts out TONS of heat, but i only use this to get gear on in the morning so just turn it off in 10 about minutes.

The description says it is "quiet and odorless" but i can tell you it does have a slight odor when burning and is fairly quiet. It sounds sort of like a gas grill burning.

The piezo lighter works great! Got tired of trying to get a lighter to work at sub zero temps on the old propane bottle top heater of yesteryear :)

Another thing i like about this is that it's versatile. One can take this out, fold out the wheels and handle, and use in the garage or other places where quick effective heat is needed.

Anyway . . just another option.

Cheers!

Mr Heater.JPG

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
I've got a big buddy heater and it'll keep it comfortable and heat up within 5 minutes. This is in an 8.5'x18' enclosed. We were drinking beers and hanging out in the trailer at the races and it kept it probably 60 in there and it was about 10-15* outside.

I'm considering going to an RV furnace to better circulate the heat and get things dried out. The problem with the big buddy is if you are trying to dry out sleds/clothes, it won't circulate enough air to dry it out completely overnight. It just melts everything and everything turns really wet.

For just heating it up before you change, it works decently well though for the price and simplicity to install.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I've got a big buddy heater and it'll keep it comfortable and heat up within 5 minutes. This is in an 8.5'x18' enclosed. We were drinking beers and hanging out in the trailer at the races and it kept it probably 60 in there and it was about 10-15* outside.

I'm considering going to an RV furnace to better circulate the heat and get things dried out. The problem with the big buddy is if you are trying to dry out sleds/clothes, it won't circulate enough air to dry it out completely overnight. It just melts everything and everything turns really wet.

For just heating it up before you change, it works decently well though for the price and simplicity to install.

This is actually what I was wondering. I don't need it to dry out sleds and gear, just a slight warm up to get dressed and maybe the occasional beer at the end of the day.

XtDoo

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2007
Pearl City Illinois
Had a blue flame heater and worked fine at 8,000 to 10,000 ft elevation, but would always go out when higher than that. It would work for 5 min or so then shut off. (assumed it was the built in O2 sensor. Ended up putting rv furnace in, kicks butt now.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
We just picked up a 8.5x16 trailer, fully insulated. I planned to go with one of the Big Buddy heaters but was wondering if you put in one or two of these style fans would it help with airflow and drying things?

06-0852.jpg

I have thought about putting the full heater set-up in this trailer as I woudl like to have the duct work for a glove and boot dryer but I worry that its too small of space (119SF) and I can't seem to find a small heater that still has the duct running from it. I figure if you put a normal size heater in it that it won't run enough to get the air movement in the trailer. Maybe I'm wrong on that??

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
00B0B_8k6o6epZBhR_1200x900_zpsqku8a3iz.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

procomm infra red 30k btu

suburban forced air 30k BTu

fans up top on the corners

timer near door

co sensor near fire extinguisher

2 qty 30 gallon propane