• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer Padlocks

B

BIGKEV

Feb 5, 2014
Ive done some searching without very much luck. Has anyone ran into a padlock that handles going down the road and being in the elements. I see there are all sorts of them for sale just looking for some good reviews Thanks in advance

Bilko

Premium Member
Feb 3, 2008
Cali
I use the Master locks that are completely rubber coated with key hole cover. You can find them at Home Depot in sets of three or find multiple boxes with same key code for more than three. Nothing is road grime free, but these work great after six years with regular oiling.

I

inspector01

Mar 21, 2013
MN
We always used the rubber covered ones as mentioned. They were definitely better but still occasionally had freeze up or other issues.

Last edited:
R
Mar 16, 2010
I had a rubber one freeze once, now I use steel hooks to prevent latches from opening, put locks on when needed. No problems. I _really_ don't want to start a day breaking and entering my own trailer.

FatDogX

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
ND
I use the Master Locks that are completely sealed, including the key hole but..........when I'm going down the road, there's no locks on the trailer.

I guess my thoughts are, why lock the trailer when your going down the road? Your with the trailer and if we stop anywhere for fuel or food, we try and park so you can see the trailer. I may lock the walk in door during short stops but the drive in doors don't get locked until we stop for the night.

I've seen to many locks freeze up, corrode and have problems with due to having them on while in transport. Just my thoughts.

Pro-8250

Lifetime Membership
Mar 4, 2008
Northern MN.
I use the Master Locks that are completely sealed, including the key hole but..........when I'm going down the road, there's no locks on the trailer.

I guess my thoughts are, why lock the trailer when your going down the road? Your with the trailer and if we stop anywhere for fuel or food, we try and park so you can see the trailer. I may lock the walk in door during short stops but the drive in doors don't get locked until we stop for the night.

I've seen to many locks freeze up, corrode and have problems with due to having them on while in transport. Just my thoughts.

Exactly what we have learned from experience. We also carry a set of bolt cutters under the back seat in the truck just in case!

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I just got these for Xmas. Setup them up and I'm excited to see how they hold up. Great thing is that my ignition key will unlock them. No other key to keep track of.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
I've been using the same cheapo Brinks locks for years. I've rarely had issues as long as I keep them oiled up. Always have a map gas torch handy anyways for thawing out anything that may need thawed out.
Agree though padlocks aren't really needed until loaded trailer is parked formthe night or out of sight for a while.

Paul27

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2008
Reno, NV
I use round locks because they are supposedly less susceptible to bolt cutters.

Rinse and oil them occasionally. No problem in 6 years.

Good idea to remove them while on the road! Thanks!

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Been in 2 snow trailer accidents ( both none my fault)
I do lock always now as had the doors come
open and spew the sleds across the roadway
Locks are not just for keeping the thieves out but ensure
doors and ramps don't open I have had 5 enclosed trailers
This is with sleds tied down in the trailer which is another
Question/ who ties them down,,
I lock and tie down
I do keep a propane torche in the pickup for the slush days
to assist in heating the key to open the frozen lock

Premium Features