• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 m8 secondary adjustment

offtrail

Lifetime Membership
Getting a low end bog out of my sno pro. I know that the belt deflection is too much and it is sitting to low in the secondary. But, there is no more room for adjutment shims. it's full of shims all the way up to the o ring. The belt only has 350 miles on it. Is there any other way to adjust the sheave width on the secondary? Or is it time for a new belt?

D
Nov 26, 2007
Kettle Falls WA
did you shim it too far and went clear past where it was suppost to be?

I can't really answer your Q because I scrapped that whole system and went BD adjusters...I know I screwed it in way too far at first and the belt was riding low, I screwed it (read: shimmed) way past where it was suppost to be and it held the sheeves open.

maybe take half of them off and try again

also make sure to use a safe track stand (no kids around and dont' stand behind your sled) and use the engine to spin the track around 10-15 times (don't need a ton of throttle) and this will let the sheeves close

If your belt got that narrow because if use you'd have cords all over the place

offtrail

Lifetime Membership
I don't think that it's over shimmed. The more shims that you put on the bolt, the less it spreads the clutch sheaves. The way you take the belt off of the sled is by taking all the shims out and reinstalling the bolt and thus spreading the shims far enough apart to get the belt off. There are no cords showing on the belt. Is it possible a belt defect? Don't know what's going on.

J
Dec 19, 2007
Just checked my 07 M8, the adjuster has 5 shims from the factory, 3 that are 2.2mm, one that is 1.5mm, and one that is .75mm, for a total of 8.85mm. I have about 1"3/4 of belt deflection with a brand new 046 AC belt. I think that I can fit on another 2.2mm shim before I'm out of room (hard against the O ring) not sure how much effect that one shim will have. I'll let you know.

D
Nov 26, 2007
Kettle Falls WA
I assume you cleaned the clutches too ya? crap down in the sheeves will hold em open.

I had to take mine off the sled and put a piece of all-thread thru the clutch with the right size washer and press the sheeves apart for a good cleaning, any gunk or cords in there will screw it up, you'd never get your deflection set right

I got my belt sitting from 1/16 to 1/8 inch on top the sheeves, if I lift the track in the air the belt will slowly spin it...almost squeeks at idle :D

offtrail

Lifetime Membership
Just checked my 07 M8, the adjuster has 5 shims from the factory, 3 that are 2.2mm, one that is 1.5mm, and one that is .75mm, for a total of 8.85mm. I have about 1"3/4 of belt deflection with a brand new 046 AC belt. I think that I can fit on another 2.2mm shim before I'm out of room (hard against the O ring) not sure how much effect that one shim will have. I'll let you know.

That's about where I'm at. I have all the stock shims in and was wondering if I can fit one more in. Let me know how it goes. My clutches are clean so I don't think that there is anything holding them open as far as belt debris.

W
Jan 2, 2008
If you look carefully at the shims you'll notice they aren't perfectly flat, specially the fatter ones.

I stacked the shims so that they opposed one another /\/ instead of \\\ or ///

ya it was silly but I gained a few .00 inches and got my belt where it needed to be, AC dealer was closed and I wanted to go riding

Premium Features