• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Hard time leaning the sled over

M
Sep 15, 2014
I have a 14 pro with 70km on it. New rider.

I'm having a hard time leaning the sled over. I'm 210lbs and when I'm on one side of the sled with all my weight it barely tips.

I jumped on a friends 11 free ride and step on side and it leans to the side easy.

Wondering if the front suspension is set too hard from the factory?

It feels like I have to wrestle the machine, yank and jump on the side to pull it over... Maybe I'm doing something wrong or maybe loosening the front shocks up some would help??

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Need to countersteer and learn when to apply throttle if new to riding. Outside of that,

Suspension settings on a Pro are huge....here are my usual pointers for a baseline. RTS = rear track shock, FTS = front track shock:

- Set RTS for your weight as per the specs in the owner's manual. The manual lists the spec in spring length, so make sure it's fully extended (no weight on skid) and just measure.
- Set FTS to have roughly 3/4" to 1" of threads showing.
- Set front ski shocks to roughly the middle of their travel.
- Set ski width in the narrowest setting.

Then go ride it, and try to observe:

RTS: If it bottoms occasionally on only the biggest whoops/bumps, it's probably about perfect. If it never bottoms - loosen it slightly. If it bottoms easily - tighthen.

FTS: Once you have the RTS set - small adjustments here can dial the sled's handling noticeably. If the sled wheelies too much, or trenches excessively, or wants to turn uphill on a sidehill - loosen. If the skis feel too planted, and the sled doesn't feel playful enough - tighten. There is also some preference in this adjustment - so tinker with it for what YOU like. Tighter spring = less pressure on the skis and vice versa.

M
Sep 15, 2014
Ya I counter steer and try lean it over but it just feels like I have to muscle it so hard.... Like the front suspension is fighting me?

Definitely need more seat time but I think I'll try adjusting the suspension...

AKFULLTHROTTLE

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2009
Alaska
Is this on hard pack or POW? Also you could disconnect your sway bar and see if you like it. Guessing your buddies does not have them?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Front suspension could be too stiff - but most of the problem is probably in the rear suspension. If the RTS is stiff and the FTS is loose, it could be difficult to lean over for sure.

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Weird. My dad finds mine tippy and hes 160lbs and been riding and racing since the 60s. I find i can one ski with a little body english on the lake doing 80+ mph.... Something must not be set up right. Use a lift on your front bumper and loosen your front springs till the springs come loose and then tighten them a turn or two. Actually go measure the front spring lengths and post them up for comparison.

#canadastrong

sledheadd

Premium Member
Dec 1, 2007
too far from mountains Alberta Canada
As others have said I suspect shock settings. I changed all my shocks on mine I got Elkas set up for jumping and I had the same problem that you have. Softening the fts made the biggest difference but also loosening the ski shocks made a difference.

GreenState

Lifetime Membership
Feb 28, 2012
McCall
If you're 210 lbs the stock shocks/springs are plenty soft for you.

The Freeride has a narrower front end and it could be drastically narrower than yours depending on the spacer configurations on the skis. This will make a huge difference on how easily the sled tips with body weight alone.

It's all about finesse, work with the machine and not against it. You can muscle it, but it's sooooo much easier to use the engine to do the work.

My wife calls it TLC: Throttle, Look, Commit.

D

Drewd

Feb 2, 2012
Colorado
www.imnotrightinthehead.com
I'm a newbie to off trail and had same issue with my Pro last year. A riding friend helped me tighten the FTS several turns and that has made all of the difference. I still need to fine tune it a bit so it doesn't trench as much but at least I can now turn with the sled.

F

Flatlander44

Oct 8, 2013
Ski springs as loose as they will go with out loosing the spring retainers on bottom
Limiter strap loosened 1 hole
Front track shock cranked down a bit, tighten till u can barley turn it by hand
Rear blocks on 3 or 4 for your weight
Other things that help are handle bars tilted slightly back, weight back, and sway bar removed
If I think about leaning, my sled tips upside down!!

O

Oregonsledder

Jan 27, 2009
Bend Oregon
This is a silly discussion. My PRO gets on it's edge in my shop without me even on it! LOL There is no other sled as easy to get on it's edge than a PRO. I weigh 200 lbs and we have a female rider who weighs a buck 10 who rides a PRO and has no problem getting it on it's edge,. Geeze!!!

Last edited:
J
Jan 20, 2009
Northern Utah
Setting up the suspension per factory recommended settings helps for sure but....the pro will easily turn on its side on a flat concrete surface without having to muscle it. There are many great tutorials on youtube if you do a search. As with any sled; 1. Just turn the handlebars exactly opposite of where you want to go (countersteering) 2. Look where you want to go 3. Hit the throttle and don't be shy about it.
You will no doubt have to learn where the balance point is. Sometimes you will tip over in either direction but with a bit of practice, that sled makes pro riders out of beginners in no time at all. Learn on the flat, then take your new skills to the hills.

Last edited:
Premium Features