• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Yeti dealers?

Spike89

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
Anyone know if there will be any Yeti dealers in the lower 48 this year?

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Heard they were run out of the US by TS. One has to wonder if competition is too much or are there worries of having to improve on an item from Tractor Supply.

Spike89

Lifetime Membership
Jan 15, 2012
Yes, I heard they could not sell in the US because of a patent infringement of some sort.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
Isn't it funny how TS was so supportive of YETI on a public forum yet totally the other way off record?

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Protectionism lol. Lets not forget TS did not invent or come up with this idea even though many think it.

Tride

Premium Member
Sep 29, 2010
Bozeman MT
As much as I'd like to see Yeti in the US, if Timbersled doesn't want to license their patents or Yeti can't afford to pay the license, then that's the way it is. That's why you patent stuff.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
As much as I'd like to see Yeti in the US, if Timbersled doesn't want to license their patents or Yeti can't afford to pay the license, then that's the way it is. That's why you patent stuff.

You Patent YOUR IDEA to protect it. When you patent other ideas you are using Prior Art. This means:
Prior art (state of the art[1] or background art[2]), in most systems of patent law,[3] constitutes all information that has been made available to the public in any form before a given date that might be relevant to a patent's claims of originality. If an invention has been described in the prior art, a patent on that invention is not valid.
When you read the patent you have to look at the Independent Claims, he has three. If you don't violate the Independent Claims then, you can't violate the Dependent Claims.
In his patent he uses his suspension, the one that he is no longer using because it didn't work right. Nobody can use the TS suspension in their snow bike. By switching the suspension even he won't violate his patent.
He uses a tri-hull ski, naming the simmons ski in his patent. Tri-hull skis are Prior Art.
Maybe he invented the continuous belt track. OOPS, Prior Art.
So, maybe there is a BUFFALO in the timber.

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Wont really matter what the deal is on patents. Once the US tries the Yetii, guys will drive up and buy them in Canada regardless. TS can try and hold on to the only game in town but the people will decide. Not TS

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
I have been a TS supporter for many years.

If they truly are behind blocking the yeti in the US it will be my last TS.

Oh by the way mine is a 2012 and its time to update I hope TS is not trying to

force my hand . I live in Canada and a new kit is just a Phone call away.

I have been known to use my cash as a vote for what I believe in.

Freedom of choice and a fee and open economy.

Listen up Timbersled

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
It is interesting to hear people's opinion and see how rumors get started. Before it gets out of hand it needs to be set straight. We do have patent that pertect our products and our designs. If Yeti has chosen to not sell into the US for this reson that would mean they have done their IP homework and have made a choice on their own based on there results. We respect them for that. It means they are a responsible business. We do the same before developing and marketing a product. For the record we have done nothing to enforce patents.

Allen from Timbersled

L
Jun 26, 2008
ya, i had heard rumor that timbersled was threatening lawsuit over u.s. patent infringement on the strut rod, glad to hear its not true. a little bit of competition is good for the marketplace.

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
ya, i had heard rumor that timbersled was threatening lawsuit over u.s. patent infringement on the strut rod, glad to hear its not true. a little bit of competition is good for the marketplace.

Now that is funny right there. Once again there is Prior Art. I went to Tractor Supply and got a picture of a strut rod. They call it a Top Link for a three point hitch.
Picture0531151015_1_zpsihiqxne9.jpg

I can go to NAPA and get a "Strut Rod" but it is called a drag link.
No mater what YOU call it, it still has to be an Original Idea for patent enforcement.
Allan, are you speaking for Polaris? Remember you sold your soul.

T
Dec 25, 2007
This is like reading notes from the Tin Hat Society annual meeting:face-icon-small-dis

You either know, or you don't. Speculating and attempting to damage someone's reputation over something you are not privy to is fairly juvenile...innocent until proven guilty. At least in my version of America.

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
Having met Allen, this bashing of him isn't warranted. He runs a top notch company and needs to cover his ***. Put yourself in his shoes and you would cover your products. I definitely believe his word on the issue. Just be happy you aren't dealing with AD Boivin. Now that company doesn't care about its customers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

P
Nov 28, 2007
Yukon Canada
Lots of interest in mid summer here. This must have struck a cord with many people. If there is even a thread of any kind of legal action it is a disappointment for the whole sport. There is not a single new Idea in any of them , ingenues development and improvements using existing Ideas and technologies is a timbersled specialty, Yeti is doing the same . In the long run this sport can only succeed if there is competition, it is what drives development and stimulates consumers. If Ad Boivin would have had a competitor with the snow hawk the whole thing would have gone to a hole new level . Without a few different manufacturers snow-bikes will go the way of the Hawk.
Competition generates credibility.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Well said Allen... Competition is a great thing to push development.

Also... having known Allen as a friend and as a professional for years now... it pains me to see some people bash someone when they do not even know Allen or his business.

The amount of time, risk, money, infrastructure and flat out enthusiasm for snow sports that is part of Allen's "DNA"... is inspirational.

He grew his business WAY past some industrial complex "Condo" shop into one that is industry standard, organized and systematic... supporting a caring community of employees and artisans ... and savvy enough to protect that huge outlay of capital, time and heart with patents....so that the industry can grow and the products that you have grown to love keep on evolving.

Also... It is rare indeed that someone in Allens position will continue to participate in a forum like this when he has so many other obligations to his business, employees, community and his wife and two beautiful children.

Keep up the good work!!

Last edited:
Premium Features