• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

handling problems with 07 dragon

My wife and i own a 07 dragon. She ride it of course and loves the sled in powder. i havent spent much time on it until she got pissed today because in heavey wet snow that sled is nose heavy i know we probly need to put 08 spindles on it but if you ride it under 45 you get a work out it was so bad she rode my old slow edge;) what have you done to fix it do spindles do all or ?

Kale

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
3 things I did that helped tremendously:
1. Holz spindles
2. Woody's Trailblazer 6" Polaris replacement carbide for Gripper skis(F-Bomb recommendation and it really helped responsiveness when turning)
3. Had front WE shocks charged to 200

Sled now handles in spring conditions like it does in the powder.

Kale

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
The Holz spindles won't help with the diving, they will help ease the steering effort (geometry change). Charging the WE's will help as the front will be stiffer. If you can afford it, I recommend going to Fox Floats. This way you can put all the pressure you want on the front. I did the Fox Float Evol R's and that gives you rebound pressure on the skis as well. This greatly makes a difference in the way the front dives.

crf118r

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 29, 2008
Eagle, Idaho
Heavier front track spring and let the limiters all the way out. It won't handle on the trail but who cares with a mountain sled. .02.

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
3 things I did that helped tremendously:
1. Holz spindles
2. Woody's Trailblazer 6" Polaris replacement carbide for Gripper skis(F-Bomb recommendation and it really helped responsiveness when turning)
3. Had front WE shocks charged to 200

Sled now handles in spring conditions like it does in the powder.

Kale

Only thing I did differently from above is installed the Fabcraft chambers on the shocks and it does better in terms of trail and turing in thick potatoes.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Rod,

If you have not had the shocks serviced recently... the front track shock is problably low on pressure... take it to a dealer that has the equipment to nitrogen charge the shocks... take them all up to 225 lbs and you will be much happier.

If you have over 1000 miles on them... have them all fully serviced (oil etc)...
These shocks seem to do best with a "top up" of nitrogen at the beginning of Every season.

Nose heavy = Low front track shock pressure. (If the "nose heavy" feeling has increased with time).

Walker Evans (directly) can service them, update them with the latest valving/pressures and give you a very quick turnaround time if you talk to John in service and ask nicely. By sending them into Walker, you will not have to wait for parts should you need any.

www.walkerevansracing.com

Give em a call If you 2 day'd them on monday, you would have them back on friday with 2 day return if you make prior arrangements.

The 2009 shock valving on these units makes a big difference.. many on this forum will tell you to get other shocks... but for most of the mountain riders, these shocks will work fine. Walker can handle this too.

This is a good read
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=82007

I have also changed my thoughts on the sway bar on the 2009 to agree with Ron in this post. The 2005-2008 sway bar setup has a lot of "stiction" in it and is not smooth moving thru the A-arm/swaybar bushings which wear and make it "klunky" in operation. It takes a bit for the sway bar to move past the "klunk" in the bushings and this causes the sled to lurch and dive a bit. When the bushings are in good shape it works well. You can make the 2007 sway bar setup slide easier in the a-arm plastic bushings by rounding the ends of the swaybar and putting some decent trailer bearing grease in the cup every 3-4 rides.

For as cheap as they are... replace the sway bar bushings in the A-arms and at the bulkhead if they are worn or have high mileage.

I'd also protect your investment with the perforated neoprene shock covers from www.skinzprotectivegear.com on the ski shocks. Any minor nicks in the shaft will cause you to loose pressure in short order.

http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=98157

Last edited:
O

Ollie

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 16, 2004
Colorado
HOLZ easy steer spindles and have the shocks charged.
My wife has the same exact sled. Did the following to her sled.

Charge front shocks to 215lbs (go with mountainhorse's 225 recommendation),
Holz easy steer spindles (greatly improves steering and reduces fatigue),
move the front skid shock to the lower hole,
limiter strap in the center hole (the lower hole makes it what to wheelie to much and in my opinion can be dangerous on the trails)

Did some other stuff to it for ridability, springs, gearing and such. PM me if you would like the full list.

You can't dynamite my wife off her 07 dragon.

A
Aug 3, 2008
North Idaho
HOLZ easy steer spindles and have the shocks charged.
My wife has the same exact sled. Did the following to her sled.

Charge front shocks to 215lbs (go with mountainhorse's 225 recommendation),
Holz easy steer spindles (greatly improves steering and reduces fatigue),
move the front skid shock to the lower hole,
limiter strap in the center hole (the lower hole makes it what to wheelie to much and in my opinion can be dangerous on the trails)

Did some other stuff to it for ridability, springs, gearing and such. PM me if you would like the full list.

You can't dynamite my wife off her 07 dragon.

Ditto what Ollie said. Check the ski alignment too. You won't notice if its off in the powder but on a harder pack it becomes impossible to steer. Mine was toed out over 1/2 inch from the dealer. :light:

Premium Features