• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The Perfect Set up for you...CLUTCHING...

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Its black. I'll try a get a pic up soon.

I love the 170#. Its not jumpy at all and engages really smooth with the clutch shimmed for the belt. The sled is running awesome this season. . My only issue is a ocassional bog from a dead stop. It only seems to happen when the sleds under load. Like diving off the trail onto a steep and deep incline. I can't seem to get rid of it fueling so it may be clutching.

170/330
MDS weights at 84g
34/42 helix

9lbs boost and 3 inch paddles

Last edited:

Whimp

Lifetime Membership
Oct 4, 2012
Laurel Montana
fuel

its fueling.....Im sure you know all the tricks to help with this but its hard to get around..... Load sensing fuel management....Arg....

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
What's the rate of the Twisted primary spring? I'm currently running the BDX 170/330. I don't have anyway of measuring it but the Twisted springs free length is almost a inch taller and feels even heavier than the 170/330.

I found out my Twisted spring was a 175/305.
I'd still like more bottom end and mid but I don't think there's much more to be had in clutching. Possibly the 2876 is just too big for my boost or riding style. I'd love to try a 2863 or even a 2867. Then again a Speedwerx 925 would help the bottom end too....

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
I have been running the big dawg d&d profile with heavy tips, some of my buddies are running the cat weights with the light tips. Is the light tip weight getting the job done for belt sqeeze on the turbo? The lighter tip weight does make their sled snap sooner, less sluggish. Anyone tried this?

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I have been running the big dawg d&d profile with heavy tips, some of my buddies are running the cat weights with the light tips. Is the light tip weight getting the job done for belt sqeeze on the turbo? The lighter tip weight does make their sled snap sooner, less sluggish. Anyone tried this?

I have a buddy who likes that setup, but it's harder on belts. I like heavy weights no prob with belts at all...unless I run out of gear.

U

Uncle Bob

Feb 15, 2011
just a thought when considering set ups. funny thing about shanes setup, when i ran one of his turbos on my 1000 with his clutching, you always felt like it was bogging downin the trees cause it pulled the motor down but remember these things are tractors . just turn around and watch the beauty roost behind you next time it sounds like its bogging

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
I agree low rpm is not a bad thing. Of course that big motor likes a lot lower rpm than an 800.

I run the non-HO 800 motor and pipe. It likes lots of weight and helix to keep it under 8000. I run the big mag weights loaded to about 87-88 ....middle two holes get the magnets. It takes a pretty good start rate on the primary spring to get decent engaugement. Shim the spider with a bit less weight tuck to help with belt traction and load the turbo quicker. It's a fine line between a doggy takeoff and a clean takeoff with that much weight. last season I tried a bigger helix I think 40-46 with a stiff secondary spring(mostly to make reverse work better) it likes this setup a lot. The on off throttle response is still excellent but the acceleration is off the hook. This setup works for me from 6000 to 11000.

It always amazes me to look back when I was just blipping it up a slope through the trees going easy...to see the the trench I just left. It just doesn't feel like I was even working the sled.

Polarisrocks

Lifetime Membership
Sep 22, 2002
Eastern Wa
Tonysnow, are you rebalancing the clutch if you are removing shims to untuck the weights? I was considering this last season, but didn't want to wait for a clutch balance from slp. How much are you untucking? 30 thou?
After trying a lot of set ups last year, I liked the 46 finish, so I ordered the 40-46 and a 40-48 from Dalton. I had the best belt life with the 38-42, but it didn't have the rip your arms off feel the 36-46 gave the sled. I run the gold d&d secondary spring. 180-280. I also put the m
7 cover on the open helixes and I liked that, I can turn it in a turn and make it gain a few more rpms. This is with a 4 post and 4-80 gram d&d big dogs

Thanks

Tonysnoo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 6, 2004
No. Nevada
Tonysnow, are you rebalancing the clutch if you are removing shims to untuck the weights? I was considering this last season, but didn't want to wait for a clutch balance from slp. How much are you untucking? 30 thou?
After trying a lot of set ups last year, I liked the 46 finish, so I ordered the 40-46 and a 40-48 from Dalton. I had the best belt life with the 38-42, but it didn't have the rip your arms off feel the 36-46 gave the sled. I run the gold d&d secondary spring. 180-280. I also put the m
7 cover on the open helixes and I liked that, I can turn it in a turn and make it gain a few more rpms. This is with a 4 post and 4-80 gram d&d big dogs

Thanks

Not sure can tell you how much...it's a secret...LOL

Nah...I don't really remember. I've had it in and out until I get the right feel when I test. If I had to guess it might be plus .020....just not sure.

I can't say much about the balancing question. That would be a personal choice....the safe answer would prolly be to balance. I suspect balancing a new unused clutch would prolly be a good thing too. I go to the effort of making all the weights weigh the same. Some of these big weights can very a couple of grams each. That can't help the balance if not addressed.

I like the OVS secondary setup. They really got me going down the turbo clutching path with what works for me... I had to throw away a lot of years of clutching big bores to get my head around turbo clutching....still learning!

Premium Features