• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

First ride on the Alpha

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Finally got in a day on my new Alpha 165. This is the best first day I’ve had on a new sled. Most of my sleds have been modified extensively and comparing a new stock sled to one I have set up just the way I like has sometimes been a let down.
I broke the sled in hard, Motoman style. Sled was smoking, spitting oil and farting a little while it warmed up and getting out of the parking lot. Has to be from the heavy dose of oil it’s getting right at the start from the break in programming.
On the soft trail ride in the sled feels like a dual rail sled, very stable, corners better than my G4 175” track. This track has good traction accelerating but just mediocre braking. I noticed this later while riding down hill in the single track. Almost caught me out a couple times.
The snow was about 10-12” on top of a hard base for the most part with some deeper snow in the trees. The base was firm but you could trench thru it with lots of power. Power felt good but not great compared to my 850 but I’m still in break in mode. It feels like a more aggressive clutch set up, especially in the mid range would unlock some potential.
Where I really was impressed was sidehilling on steeper slopes and climbing thru tight trees. It really held steepish sidehills and it was easy to ride slow, start and stop and change lines up or down. The clutch engagement is really smooth and the power comes on really linear and it’s easy to take off pointed uphill or in a side hill and not trench out. Climbing the sled gets great traction, pulls the skis a little off the snow and just takes off. Super easy to maneuver thru the trees with the skis in the air. Very predictable.
Steering effort is higher than my Doo but not terrible. Def more of a workout to ride. I settled on 70PSI in the front shocks on clicker 2. I didn’t mess with the rear at all, felt stiffer than I like tho just didn’t get to it.
Quality is WAY UP compared to my 2014 Cat Pro Lite. Bodywork fits great. Hand warmers AND thumb warmer ran hot, super easy to adjust. First time I’ve ever turned down a thumb warmer lol. I didn’t bump any of the controls while riding and the tether works great and super easy to clean snow out of and snap it back in place. Gauge works great, easy to read temps while riding.
On the way back I had a 1/2 mile of really icey road. At about 35 mph the sled went into a death wobble lol. Felt like riding a skateboard straight down hill when they try and shake you off. That has to be something to do with the track and single rail.
Anyway, love the sled. Going to work on skid set up next time.

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I would t for many opinions on the power or clutching until the motor has at least 80-100 miles on it. That’s where it seems to be fully awake. For where we ride at 10,000 ft, it’s the best clutched sled out of the box. Not 100% perfect, But pretty close.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Agreed. The one thing I’m changing is the boards. The dont work well for me at all. I was sliding down the boards and getting my boot toe stuck in the footwell. That freaks me out a little, I’ve been drug down the hill by my toe before.
Have Airframes going in now. This is probably nto necessary for the dry snow riders and guys with soft soled sled boots or snowboard boots. My boots have hard bottoms because I ride Airframes mostly and the traction screws they have eat boots.

Premium Features