• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

can i use my iphone as a GPS when i have no service in the mtns?

Bocephus

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2010
i was wondering if it is possible to load any kind of software (even if it isnt a free app) onto my iphone so i can use it as a hand held GPS while in the mountains with no service...?

S

sledgreg

Aug 27, 2008
Chilliwack
www.sleddicted.com
not really

there are apps (free ones) but they wont show your current location, but they do somehow show your tracks when you get back to service. (shows where ever you went) so you can look at it later.

S

ss_badaz

Dec 6, 2007
B.C."The Koots"
A bit pricey but the Recon Goggles are GPS with easy download software hook into i phone will overlay on to goggle earth mapping gives a display view of Speed/ Alt/ temp etc. Also the new version will track your buddies with i phones also blue tooth available things are nuts. I just used a set and work awesome.

http://www.reconinstruments.com/products/mod

Yamadoo04

Premium Member
Oct 4, 2005
Herriman, Utah
www.youtube.com
Get the App called Ski Tracks. the GPS works without cell or wifi service. As long as you load the map before you lose the service you can see where you are at on the map. Once you lose cell service the map will not reload. As long as you dont go away from the map you can see it. If you do go away from the map you can always go back to it and you will see a red line where you have been and where you are relative to that line so you can get an idea of where you are at. I have not taken a ride in the past year that I have not tracked. For me this has been the best app ever invented. I think I paid either 1.99 or 2.99 for it. WELL WORTH the money. you can then also send the tracks when you are done to your computer via email and view on Google Earth. You can also post it to Facebook when you save the track and get back in cell range. you can take picturs durring the ride too and save it to the track.

H
Oct 13, 2010
Arvada, CO
If your iphone has an actual gps function it does not need cell service. I use my iPhone 4 all the time when hunting. The app to get is called accuterra i believe. Alows you to download hd maps of any area you would like..

C

CO_MapMaker

Dec 3, 2007
Colorado
Just a reminder to keep you iphone off in the mountains when riding. When we have done beacon practice, iphones cause major interference with the beacon search.

D
Nov 1, 2011
Premium Features