• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

t nytro blowing belts

S

Sledneck_1987

Dec 9, 2007
i have a 2010 nytro with impulse turbo. have 5000km on sled and after 2500km started to go through belts every 500 km and now about 100-150 km per belt. is their an way to check the alignment of the clutches ? or what else i could check ?

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Clean the sheaves with brake clean and blow any belt dust out of both clutches. Might be pieces of belt/residue causing binding. Clutch alignment tool is a good idea also. I'd also check the clutches for wear. Bushings, broken springs, pucks, etc.

B

BigFish BC

Jan 27, 2005
kitimat b.c
have you ever replaced springs in clutches?make sure your slider are ok too they can wear out & it wont back shift proper.

DooTraxx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Calgary, AB
This happened to me as well. After talking with all the "Yamaha Experts" and them telling me the clutches can't be worn out yet I pulled mine apart. All the bushings were completely worn out. Changed them all and am hoping to have a good year this year. Could not keep a belt in it last year.

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
Alignment, alignment, alignment, c to c, c to c, c to c..... I fought this as well. Finally took the time to go through all of it. Not one problem since. I will say I put a fan that pulls air out of the clutch area and blows it at your left foot and that was the single most heat reducing mod I did.

M
Jan 14, 2004
With that many miles your clutches are likely shot. Its pretty easy to rebuild them just change everything so that means springs, buttons, bushings, plastic washers and maybe even the bolts in the primary holding the weights and rollers if they are worn. For sure the shim bolts in your secondary used for setting the belt height are worn down, get new ones. Lastly as was mentioned align the motor there's a tool for setting it up. My experience has been that the clutches need some love about every 2k. Check your weights and rollers for wear as well. If your clutches have been slipping which is likely the case check the sheaves on your secondary to make sure the belt hasn't grooved them, it happens, Ive seen belts eat right through the secondary.

M5

Last edited:
M
Jan 14, 2004
The easiest way to align things is buy the tool. You can do it without it but its kinda sketch. I think MPI used to sell it. Its really important to have the motor in there straight. Id have to look it up for certain but 15mm I think is the offset and the c to c is 268.5mm, I wouldn't take those numbers to the bank though.

M5

summitboy

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
where is the procedure to checking engine mounts to align the primary? wouldnt mind checking. mines brutal on belts and have changed everything in the clutches.

You changed the bushings in the primary ? Not just springs ? Alignment is pretty tough to mess up on the Nytro and Apex. Id replace every last piece in the primary and secondary.

D
Nov 27, 2013
Mountain States
Just like everyone has stated clutches require constantly maintained in order to get the most out of your belt....Belt deflection, belt alignment are huge part of belt life.

Clutch springs are 20 bucks and don't last long at all it's a good idea to change spring approx every 500 miles or so.

DPG

Premium Features