• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Extreme ratcheting 2013 155

M
Nov 27, 2007
manitoba, Canada
Hey guys. Before last ride tightened my track up a bit because it was starting to ratchet (3500 miles). I'm down to about 3/4 per side of tensioner bolt. Went out and put on 75 miles. At the 50 miles mark it started to skip and got progressively worse. To the point where I had to hold constant throttle or it would just skip

When I got home and unloaded I looked under neath and it seems like the track window is too favaway from the drivers by about a half inch. Besides my track being stretched right out what else Am I looking for? Worn out drivers? Bent rails?

FYI it's not quick drive, I know how that one feels all too well

gtwitch

Lifetime Membership
Jan 24, 2011
Laramie, Wyoming
Sounds like it is a clutch/Drive belt problem ( I had a similar problem last season and thought it was track tension, but was not!) Pull the side cover off and look at the clutch/belt when it is ratcheting and I think you will see the problem!! I put different belt on it and it stopped for that day and next ride I put a new belt (Gates carbon replacement for the 115 and Just changed that one out last week after about 1200 miles and there is a lot of tree riding and side hilling.
gtwitch in wyoming

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
You hit anything lately causing a bent tunnel by the footwells? Buddy ghost rode his pro into a tree last year and it buckled the tunnel on both sides by the foot wells and it caused his track to ratchet. Rode it two or three rides before catching the bent tunnel

sledhed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2001
Lolo, Montana
Another possibility is worn out drive shaft bearings... so track tension is fine when you check it, and yet it is still feeling like it is ratcheting? And chain drive? Last time that happened to me I had the chaincase tensioner had broken internally allowing the drive chain to ratchet, on my Dragon. I replaced the "shoe" style tensioner with a roller style which was a plug-and-play replacement, I think it was from a 05-06 IQ chassis sled or from the IQR race sled, I forget which.

EDIT: The chain ratcheting felt exactly like track ratchet from the seat of pants feel while riding and I had to use steady throttle all the way back to the truck.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Is this a NA sled? If so, I'd be very surprised if the track was stretched out that bad.

I've run into this before and have read about a few of these on here and it usually ends up being bent rails.

Can you take some good pics and post them?

Might be time to pull the skid.

Also, the driveshaft bearing comment could be it...

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Another possibility is worn out drive shaft bearings... so track tension is fine when you check it, and yet it is still feeling like it is ratcheting? And chain drive? Last time that happened to me I had the chaincase tensioner had broken internally allowing the drive chain to ratchet, on my Dragon. I replaced the "shoe" style tensioner with a roller style which was a plug-and-play replacement, I think it was from a 05-06 IQ chassis sled or from the IQR race sled, I forget which.

EDIT: The chain ratcheting felt exactly like track ratchet from the seat of pants feel while riding and I had to use steady throttle all the way back to the truck.

His sled should be Quick-Drive..

MKULTRA

Lifetime Membership
Dec 31, 2015
quebec, canada
I'd look for bent rail or bent skid component.

Happenend to me just last week. Bended a rail and didnt see it at first. Ratchening started subtle then became unridable but we were ready to go back anyway.

When i came home and looked to tighten the track and noticed my left rail bent. Hammered it back to place and track was tight again.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Are any clips blue? Track rods get brittle when overheated, track delaminates. I'd guess that's what happened. Regardless, congrats, you're getting a new track! Let us know what you decide, and how it works for you.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
It's probably what happens when you "wheely" for kilometers at a time in a Canola field.

G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
But what else would I do on the prairies

And no discoloration on the clips

Just a guess mickyd. Iv'e broken a few bars with the 2 wheel rear set up landing in geek position but never gotten close to the point you show. Only see it after you take off the track and see a warp.

Can only imagine the stresses on those bars as you run a klik at a time through a frozen disced canola field on the rear axle with only the middle two wheels.

Premium Features