• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

So I am "Considering" buying a new Yamaha 2014 Viper

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Just toying with the idea right now.
But it would be nice to have a 4th sled, and I am ready for a new project sled as well. Nytrocity is MAXED out, there is just nothing left to do to her.

So I am considering something brand new that would give me lots of opportunity to play with.

AND..

I could use a nice high end performance trail sled and it would be fun to see just what Yamaha and Arctic Cat have put together. Chances are mighty high that we are going to see a "Long Track" edition of this sled released this spring as well..

Am I alone here on SnoWest in considering a new Viper????

I know I am probably in the minority around here, but I still think that this joint venture between Yamaha and Arctic Cat is going to bring GOOD THINGS to use Yamaha Fans over the next few years.

New Website for the Viper..
http://www.srviper.com/

2014-yamaha-sr-viper-xtx-se-21.jpg

Last edited:

motojunkie101

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sandpoint, Idaho
I think its going to be a great thing as well. I have a 2013 Proclimb M8 153 limited next to my Nytro in the garage. The A/C chassis works, and works well. Last year it was a HARD decision on what sled to take out. On any given day it was really a toss up unless I had a specific idea in mind...ie...in McCall I knew I was going to be gunning for a chute or two, so I was on the TNytro.

You can't go wrong with a combo of the two. Great engine (easy clutching!), Great Chassis.

My one and only complaint about the Proclimb is that it wanted to wheelie a lot. Eventually I just learned to lay on the bars and stick with it, and she climbed just fine.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I bought a 2014 M8 with the idea that if I didnt like it I could make a mountain Viper out of it. BUT, the main problem with the Nytro was it is topheavy. It appears the engine is layed down some in the Viper but I suspect it will still be topheavy compared to the same chassis with the Cat motor. The most fun I had last year wasn't on the boosted Nytro or the super lightweight Nytro it was on the boosted Phazer (almost as heavy as Nytro but very low center of gravity)

Even at that though I have not ruled out getting a Viper. But I am for sure excited to see what the new Mountain Max will be.

V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
I see it as a huge mistake for Yamaha. Yes it's a new chassis in the line up which is what they needed but the electronics and fit and finish of everything, are not up to par for what we are use to. In the long run Cat will come out on top. Not many people like Yamaha's, but love the motors. So why buy a Yamaha with a Cat chassis and be laughed at when you could buy a Cat with a Yamaha motor and fit in? It's also saying Yamaha doesn't know how to build a competitive sled. But what do I know, I'm just a flat lander

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I guess I have a whole lot of respect for the engineers at Yamaha.
I can't even begin to IMAGINE they went into this joint venture without having invested a huge amount of time and energy in making sure it was going to work. The Japanese are simply NOT that kind of Risk Takers.

My "Guess" is that Cat will up their game to meet Yamaha standards.

In all likelihood, this will be a real WIN-WIN for both companies.

But only time will tell.
And getting my hands on a Viper would be a good first step in finding out the truth of the matter UP CLOSE and IN PERSON.:face-icon-small-hap

2014_yamaha_viper_RS.jpg

T

TRUEBLUEMAX

Aug 4, 2010
Hooper, Utah
The side profile of the Viper XTX looks like it would be really easy to get some 153 rails and a good track without even having to lengthen the tunnel. I for one am excited to see where things go with these two.

The pic you posted is of a short track. Are you thinking of going the little 121 or an XTX? If you did long track it later it would sure make it easier with the XTX. At that point you are just changing rails.

4strokesmoke

Lifetime Membership
May 17, 2011
iowa
The viper in the picture is the LTX Se 136". If I was going to get a trail sled again that's what I would get. After being on the fence in the beginning I'm interested to see where this leads.

T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
Do it. . . You will like it. Put a 153 or a 162 on it and a turbo and you will be ahead of where your nytro is right now. Granted I know you like the supercharger but I am unsure where MPI is on a supercharger kit for the Viper.

Go with Iceage rails and a carbon fiber rear section from tjs custom carbon.

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
I see it as a huge mistake for Yamaha. Yes it's a new chassis in the line up which is what they needed but the electronics and fit and finish of everything, are not up to par for what we are use to. In the long run Cat will come out on top. Not many people like Yamaha's, but love the motors. So why buy a Yamaha with a Cat chassis and be laughed at when you could buy a Cat with a Yamaha motor and fit in? It's also saying Yamaha doesn't know how to build a competitive sled. But what do I know, I'm just a flat lander

As I posted elswhere, Yamaha has never designed a state of the art best in class suspension. And before you bring up late 70s SRX please take a look at an early 70s Sno Jet Thunderjet to see where that tech came from (they had a similar deal with Yamaha that Cat has now) There engineers seem to be engine/motorcycle engineers so the pairing of the best engine builders and arguably the best chassis builders would seem a match made in heaven. At least it was then!

You could only wish that 1973-1974 when Thunderjets with Yamaha engines won everything there was to win could be repeated...:face-icon-small-win

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
The new yami's run the same as the cat skid, so if a guy wants, get some ice age cat rails , new track and tunnel extension.. BAM, you are ready to build a boosted machine ready for serious abuse!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The viper in the picture is the LTX Se 136". If I was going to get a trail sled again that's what I would get. After being on the fence in the beginning I'm interested to see where this leads.

Good catch on the image.
MY BAD!
The MTX long track version will not be shipping till next season.
I think we will see it in Feb though when they roll out the 2015 lineup.
For now the 141 is the longest track option they are offering.
Though converting it should be pretty easy...

SR Viper XTX SE

Meet the new king of the crossover food chain. The SR Viper XTX SE produces a devastating blend of razor-sharp handling, terrain versatility, and jaw-dropping performance from the 3-cylinder Genesis engine. And you thought snakes sent shivers down your spine before.

• Track - The 141-inch Camoplast® Cobra® track with 1.6-inch lugs and a three-inch pitch delivers phenomenal bite on and off the trail.
  • Rear Suspension - Dual Shock SR 141 features an air shock combined with aluminum-body HPG shock for maximum control and ride comfort.
  • Front shock package - The Viper XTX SE’s performance-tuned Fox® FLOAT® 2 air shocks up front offer virtually infinite preload settings.
  • Center Grab Strap - The Viper XTX SE sports a tough center grab strap for additional leverage options when the adventure heads into deep snow.
  • Sport windshield - An integrated, aerodynamic design with plenty of air-deflecting ability allows you to feel less wind, and more exhilaration.

profile.png

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Do it. . . You will like it. Put a 153 or a 162 on it and a turbo and you will be ahead of where your nytro is right now. Granted I know you like the supercharger but I am unsure where MPI is on a supercharger kit for the Viper.

Go with Iceage rails and a carbon fiber rear section from tjs custom carbon.

LET THE MODDING BEGIN????:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The new yami's run the same as the cat skid, so if a guy wants, get some ice age cat rails , new track and tunnel extension.. BAM, you are ready to build a boosted machine ready for serious abuse!

And this is kinda what I am thinking here as well.
This COULD be a heck of a fun Mod-Run...

And Lord knows, I need another project in my dull and boring life!!!:face-icon-small-sho

MTN_VIPER

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
NW WA St.
fourstrokesolutionsllc.com
I think that you should go for it. It should be easy to "mountainize" it using off the shelf Proclimb or aftermarket parts. If you get the 141" version it will already have 3" pitch Proclimb drivers in it, which means you should be able to use a 2.6" powerclaw track in it as well.:thumb:

4strokesmoke

Lifetime Membership
May 17, 2011
iowa
LET THE MODDING BEGIN????:face-icon-small-hap:face-icon-small-hap

I'm sorry I've got to ask this, but what happened to the whole "Be Paticent and have faith"? What if the next mountain sled does come out next year? Why not wait till there's a full on long track mountain sled and have less modding that would need to be done to start with? Just curious...

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I'm sorry I've got to ask this, but what happened to the whole "Be Paticent and have faith"? What if the next mountain sled does come out next year? Why not wait till there's a full on long track mountain sled and have less modding that would need to be done to start with? Just curious...
Oh, I have faith, and I am patient.
I think we WILL see a real mountain sled at some point.
Can't honestly say WHEN.
I hope this coming spring, but its entirely possible that we will just get a long track edition of the Viper for the time being.

Meanwhile, I need a 4th sled.
I always try to take newbies out to ride with me on Weekends, AND I like to have a project sled to work on when I have free time. Need something to keep me busy.

Being the Died in the Wool Yamaha Fan that I am, it kinda makes sense for me to give a long hard look at this Viper and see just what we might be able to do to it.

If not the viper, then it would be either another Phazer and boost it.
But I have heard so many complaints about long term durability on Boosted Phazers that I am a bit gun shy.

Premium Features