• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Warranty

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
I would like to start a dialogue about warranty.
Here's my issue... I live in SD, and often times the only riding I get is in the mountains.
Most years it is only one trip of 3 days. (less than 100 miles)
I have a hard time justifying spending $10,000 - $16,000 on a sled and only getting a 100 mile warranty.
How can we convince the manufacturers that we would be more willing to purchase their products if we didn't have to expose ourselves to such a financial vulnerability?
What are your ideas as to how they could structure warranty periods that would meet more customers needs?
Perhaps the option to choose a warranty period of 500 miles or one year?

What are your thoughts?

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
If all you put on a year is 100 miles, just rent a sled.

That would be the smart play.
But we're not always smart!

There are years when we get enough snow to ride locally, but that hasn't been the case recently. You certainly cannot bank on riding locally.
And there is something about owning your own sled vs renting.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
You can get multiple year warranties. Get one of them if it’s important to you.
Or buy a used sled and then you automatically bank a couple few grand for “warranty” work.
Personally the only advantage of warranties I see is it keeps the mfgs honest.
If they gotta warranty they gotta think about that before they put out something that may not work right.
Other than that, I love people who base their decisions on whether they have warranty or not. Makes for good deals on things that just went out of warranty.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Imo too difficult to impose on dealers a bunch of varying criteria for warranty.
Not talking the auto industry here, not as much $ and not as sophisticated.
Example, you get the benefit of multiple years of warranty because you ride low miles, but all the trail riders, rental outfits and mountain riders that put in serious miles are out of warranty by March of the first season.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Imo too difficult to impose on dealers a bunch of varying criteria for warranty.
Not talking the auto industry here, not as much $ and not as sophisticated.
Example, you get the benefit of multiple years of warranty because you ride low miles, but all the trail riders, rental outfits and mountain riders that put in serious miles are out of warranty by March of the first season.

I don't disagree with the points you've raised.
And I don't mean to sound like an a__, but I asked for thoughts that may help, not reasons why it won't work.

Sorry, I couldn't think of a nicer way to word that!

Solarguy

Premium Member
Jun 23, 2011
NW Montana
I've been buying new sleds every couple of years and mountain riding 1,500 miles a season on average. Not much for warranty work on my sleds in the last 8 years (I have been extremely lucky). As suggested, but a little used sled at big savings and there is your warranty. If you ride like TRS, I suggest a warranty:):)
I don't think there is a lote that can be done to incentivize the manufacturers to warranty anymore than they do. IMHO

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Ala the auto industry...all OEM's offer a time/mileage "whichever comes first" type warranty. I don't see anyone offering a "whichever comes last" warranty....if anyone ever did, you can bet it won't be sled manufacturers paving the way.

I think your best chance would be getting a group of low mileage, low risk riders together and approaching an aftermarket warranty company to see if they would offer a product designed for that user group. Something that either gives extra years, or discounted pricing if you can prove you don't put on more than XXX miles per year.

It's still a stretch, but if they thought there was a demand....I think that's your only snowballs chance.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
The best scenario is to go west more and ride more!
I'll run that by the wife. Lol.

And again, I apologize to az800, I hated the way I worded that reply.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
What if they would offer the choice of 1 year or 500 miles (of course they would still hav to cap the time, maybe 3 years?)

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Of course the snowcheck route with multi year warranty is an option as well.
As a salesperson, that's the angle I would push on a customer like myself.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Can you purchase an extended warranty if you buy a sled in season?
A manufacturer backed warranty, NOT an aftermarket service contract.

Mafesto

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Northeast SD
Food for thought, if you buy a Bennington pontoon you are not only buying the best pontoon in the industry, you are also getting a 10 year warranty.
Ten years!
If you leave it outside uncovered and the weather ruins stereo, or other electronics.... It's covered, no questions asked!

My point is that it can be done.
If a manufacturer wants to stand above it's competitors, this is one of the paths to forge.

Do you know who owns Bennington?

Polaris

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
The price needs to go back down on the machine. It made sense back in the olden times that things got more expensive as time went on due to more advanced assembly tech tooling and engineering. But now we are at the point where the material cost is so low, the man hours are so low, and we get to pay three times what the machine is actually worth for a bunch of office folk to Pat themselves on the back

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
i am surprised they even offer warranties on sleds , dirt bikes come with less than a tail light guaranty.
i won't hold my breath waiting for a mileage type warranty

S
Jan 28, 2015
4 year bumper to bumper on snowcheck from poo and doo what more can u want? Unlimited mileage makes me smile!! Wish my vehicles came with an unlimited mileage warranty. I would very unhappy if there was mileage limit to my warranty, the warranty is why I buy a new sled every 3 years, trade it with some warranty and get decent money back.

Premium Features