• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 think tank

C

cpx1000

Oct 24, 2013
UT
I own a machine shop we work with all types of materials. in my line of work we constatly strive to come up with new and better ways to do things. the purpose of this thread is to just be a posting board of ideas. what annoys you about the 900 what could be done to fix it? what would be handy to have? anything from performance to handling to rider accessories lets get it out there!!!

sartysrnr

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Nova Scotia
Think maybe your a little late on that,as far as i know everything has been done by someone or another over the years....its all in threads here somewhere or in the stickys.
just sayin...

C

cpx1000

Oct 24, 2013
UT
i know most of the major stuff has already been done but improvements can always be made and it seems as if the 900 hasnt gone out of style yet

Rider1958

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2008
Woodland Park, Colorado
On the '05 900 RMK I had the a-arms always got damaged easily.
I know they make aftermarket front end parts, but would there be a way to shield the a-arms? One light hit to a tree or rock and my trip was over, seemed other sleds were able to take more abuse...

C

cpx1000

Oct 24, 2013
UT
good post rider. where and in what way would the a-arms break ie cracking in tubing, welds, joints, etc??

Cerialsledder

SnoWest Badge Maker
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 14, 2013
Sault Ste Marie, MI
find a way to get the 975 kits back into style with these sleds for a good deal? You can always come up with ways of making it lighter.... I love aluminum shiznic!!!

Rider1958

Lifetime Membership
Oct 28, 2008
Woodland Park, Colorado
good post rider. where and in what way would the a-arms break ie cracking in tubing, welds, joints, etc??

Force from impacts pushing back on a-arms until bent, or break near bulkhead.
Always seemed even a light hit would bend 'em.
Stronger, a-arms?
Shielding? Impact deflectors?
Huge lightweight skid plate?

And maybe a non-scratch way to shield tunnel from gas can carrying?
And maybe a strong curved aluminum bar where hood meets body so when sled rolls it doesn't trash the side panels/plates?

And most importantly - how about a new innovation in Hot Dogger / Muffpots?

C

cpx1000

Oct 24, 2013
UT
haha sounds like you want a roll cage. good stuff though keep it coming! anyone who wants to take a shop at making something work feel free!!!

answer me one question though... hot dogger/ muffpots????? is that code for a sx thing? hahah what is this stuff

Franz

Premium Member
Nov 11, 2008
Logan, UT
I would be interested in an one piece steering post for my 2005 Rmk. My pivot in mine is worn and sloppy.

Guido said there was a couple guys interested in these if someone would make em. (He would supply the sample and design and I would make them). But I wasn't sure how many people wanted them.

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
haha sounds like you want a roll cage. good stuff though keep it coming! anyone who wants to take a shop at making something work feel free!!!

answer me one question though... hot dogger/ muffpots????? is that code for a sx thing? hahah what is this stuff
Ha ha sounds weird but they are actually products that sit on the exhaust and are used for cooking food using the heat of the exhaust.

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
Guido said there was a couple guys interested in these if someone would make em. (He would supply the sample and design and I would make them). But I wasn't sure how many people wanted them.
I would be interested in one, or maybe one that uses a better u-joint that you can grease and easily replace without having to pull the motor and the entire shaft. I have already replaced my shaft once (with a used one) and now it has a little bit of slop in the crappy u-joint and it bothers me. That way I can still adjust the bars with Polzins rider select delete kit if i would want to.

Last edited:

02sedona

Lifetime Membership
Jan 13, 2008
Reno, NV
I'm not too worried about moving my post around with rider select. I have Polzins kit to get rid of the ride select. Just want to get rid of the slop in the stock worn out joint. A solid post would be sweet.

Newfusion900

Lifetime Membership
Oct 13, 2011
Blain, Pa
How about a nice simple clutch guard for the guys who ditch the crappy stock intake and make their own.

C

cpx1000

Oct 24, 2013
UT
personally ive never been into big bore kits, but then again I live in southern utah and do a lot more atv/ dirtbike riding and my experience has been the big bores cause more issues than its worth. but i will admit ive seen a few where the people actually spent the money to set it up right... i.e tuning, mapping, etc. and they have been pretty impressive

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
I think you would be a let o get into the tube running boards fairly easy and allow for direct bolt on and still keep the coolant running thru the sides.

I have a set that was built by one of my bros, but he was not interested in selling them in mass (all hand bent)..i flipping love mine..

You would have to make them for different 900s tho, ie 144/151 tunnels, and 159/166 tunnels...and whatever the fusions run...

Here are my boards on my 05 975 big bore.

975done3_zps638740ce.jpg

975done1_zps3b4fa422.jpg

975done2_zps0472ee65.jpg

My other idea I was going to make myself when I get back from Korea is...

Like someone mentioned above, the side panels due tend to break, a lot! My first project is making a lot of carbon fiber products myself...but also going to make a side bar that goes on the inside oft he side panels on each side. They will connect to the footwell/steering hoop and to the side of the bulkhead where the side braces connect. This will allow the stress to be applied on the bar and not allow the side panel to push in very far (if any)...not a perfect design as I can break an anvil, lol..

But they need to be easily removed to get access to change belts...but I am mainly wanting to do it to protect my turbo on my 06 900...I have some pics of some made for dragons back in the day by a friend but are no longer made (I'll post pic shortly)

turboview_zps077fd907.jpg

I've had a Few things I thought would better the 900s made (and sold to fellow snowesters) but have to keep my loyalty to those guys with those products. But the running boards are free game lol

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
would also like to get a few sets of these side engine braces (shown on Super Daves old 05 900 turbo). They used to be made my Timbersled but again, they wont make them anymore.

The only catch it you MUST ensure the fatory torque stop is still in place and operational.

This is an IDEAL option for my 06 900 turbo sled for sure...it would allow for more room for my charge tube, wiring, boost lines ect...and make it a heII of a lot easier to get to things w/o removing the turbo or parts.

They resemble the Dragon side braces but are much stronger and have more mounting support

900turbo1_zps1df54630.jpg

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
BOOYAH!! found the pics, lol..

Here are the side bars I was referring to...this would prevent side panel collapsing and most imp the Primary clutch rubbing the side panel/fender when on its side.

I WANT! better be a damn good finders "free" for all these secrete ideas im giving away ;)

BallisticBarsLH_zps6ffb8d4a.jpg

BallisticBarsRH_zps5decd9af.jpg

Premium Features