• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Voltage Regulator fails

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
Glad to see that it all worked out.:)

Thanks again "Trusted Source". My local tech says your his new hero, he was actually chasing the codes the way the book said to. How can I get my own digital wrench? How can I get Poo to care when I'm upset.....lol. Have a good one man. EW

A
Dec 11, 2007
Just a shot in the dark....

Has anyone with VR problems checked their grounds, including the main chassis ground?

With Polaris' great attention to detail such as the tub sealant around the shocks, low WE nit. pressure, poor clutch alignment, hood fitment issues, airbox gaps, seals around the headlight and console, etc., etc., etc!!!!!

My guess is the grounds may be better on some sleds than others.

Worth a shot :beer;

L

lognomore

Oct 25, 2008
Red Bluff, Ca.
The plate that the ECU, VR, and coils are mounted on is not grounded to the chassis. At least that what I came up with using a ohmmeter. The components are grounded through the wiring harness or I guess you can say are negative polarity through the harness. Although the ECU is isolated so it would have to be grounded through the harness but if the coils and the VR are metal and bolted to the plate shouldn't the plate be grounded, especially the coils. Just a thought.

P
My brothers Voltage Regulator went out on his 800 with only 15 miles on the sled. Of course it happened on the first of five days on our Colorado trip this past week. It was a good way to spoil his trip. The Stator also went out. We don't know if the stator and regulator failures are related but it sucked. Luckily are buddy blew up his 08 800 on the first day as well so we were able to steal the stator and voltage regulator off his sled to get my brother through the trip.

All in all, what a pain in the a#$. The sled is going to the dealer tomorrow to get looked over.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
so is the voltage regulator what is causing my brothers 08 D8 to barely idle? the sled still runs, but you have to always be on the throttle just a bit to make it idle, maybe his v.r. is going bad slowly? any suggestions?

also i just got a 2010 D8, any suggestions on avoiding problems like this?

SS:beer;

R

R44guy

Oct 8, 2008
MN
www.mnhelicopters.com
Dragon Idle concern

skisucca, from what I understand if the VR fails it usually involves the headlight getting very bright and then in some cases the instrument lights go out, the ecu starts to smoke and smell, the engine quits and then in some cases will not restart or may and kill. The engines will also possibly melt down from this concern as found on this 4m. It sounds like you may have a bad or out of adjusted tps? I would take it to a dealer or some one who knows how to check the tps settings. There doesnt seem to be any permanent repairs for the VR yet but we are still hoping for a diy or maybe a polaris repair? Good Luck. If you have any drivability concerns with your 2010 or older D&7 or D8 the power commander 5 will help but it wont do anything for the VR & ECU melt down concerns.

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
This is a common problem and as I've mentioned earlier the problem is a domino effect problem, cause the culprit in most cases is the resistor who caves in and lets the hig peaks of current from the stator directly in to the V.R., this will cause the transistor in the V.R. to collapse and send the unprocessed current directly out to the machine and the ECU causing it to fry...

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
This is a common problem and as I've mentioned earlier the problem is a domino effect problem, cause the culprit in most cases is the resistor who caves in and lets the hig peaks of current from the stator directly in to the V.R., this will cause the transistor in the V.R. to collapse and send the unprocessed current directly out to the machine and the ECU causing it to fry...

when you say reisistor are you meaning the capacitor? where is the reisistor you speak of?
thanks

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
I'll try and post a pic later on of the resistor, but it's placed in the far front of the belt cover in line with the V.R. ...

S
Feb 12, 2008
my 08 d8 vr went out i unpluged a wire under the cover and it started and run all the way out when plug the wire back in it would die.09 d8 vr went out unpluged the same wires and nothing get the tow rope.

Mag

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fairbanks Ak
so is the voltage regulator what is causing my brothers 08 D8 to barely idle? the sled still runs, but you have to always be on the throttle just a bit to make it idle, maybe his v.r. is going bad slowly? any suggestions?

also i just got a 2010 D8, any suggestions on avoiding problems like this?

SS:beer;

That's what mine was doing and it was the v.r. causing the erratic idle.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
That's what mine was doing and it was the v.r. causing the erratic idle.

This time when the v.r. went out, I had a wideband O2 on it. It was stupid lean until I had it pinned. It's not easy trying to get back to the trailer when trying to go WFO the whole way.

SLDHVN

Premium Member
Mar 7, 2008
Sled Heaven
messed with the 08 d8 today and tightened the in-line throttle cable just a bit(by the bars), it idles just fine now, maybe we got lucky?:confused:

what do ya think?

S

stem

Mar 1, 2008
Norway
when you say reisistor are you meaning the capacitor? where is the reisistor you speak of?
thanks

I tried to find it again last night, but maybe my memory is playing me a trick or two. It seems to me that the part I changed would have to be the Capacitor, but I can clearly remember taking it off and remove a small square peace (about 1" long and 1/2" thick) underneath the capacitor hooked up to a connector.
I'm sorry if I've mislead any of you:(

mold

Lifetime Membership
Nov 17, 2009
Lead, SD & Idaho Falls, ID
Got a call from my dealer today, Polaris says they will pay for the regulator and the ECU and I need to pay a $50 deductible and for labor. WTF is with the deductible?

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Got a call from my dealer today, Polaris says they will pay for the regulator and the ECU and I need to pay a $50 deductible and for labor. WTF is with the deductible?

I've never heard of such a thing :confused: Is your dealer trying to pull a fast one?

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR

No tricks by the dealer. Most of the time when Polaris is giving out of warranty goodwill assistance, they will request a deductable, usually $50.00.

Premium Features