• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

ASSAULT Track Gremlin?

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I like the dealorship, they've done all that they can do. They are doing what Polaris tells them to do. The dealorship can't side with me. Everybody in the shop seen that the replacement parts are doing the exact same thing the old ones did. I actually pulled it across asphalt until the track bound up dragging not rolling, What could they say? new track,new drivers, new driveshaft. I've always believed that the only way to make a Polaris run the way it's suppose to is to modify it, but this is crazy. I need to talk to AVID I'm not going to rune another perfectly good track.

Last edited:

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Make a few phone calls to the other dealers in the area...Eagle River Polaris, Hatcher's Pass Polaris (both locations) and see what they have seen. I'm not saying your dealer is wrong, but another opinion is needed while you still have a warranty. Dragon RMK's also have the third driver 2.86 " pitch, so I'm sure there is a better solution than having to replace the drivers and track again. Don't give up yet.

D
Nov 17, 2008
This is not a new problem. I hav noticed this on sleds that I had 15 to twenty years ago. Take any snowmobile and rotate the track by hand and you will notice that the track gets tight at places due to it wanting to get out of phase.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I gave them a call Morsno and they said that the ONLY problem that they've heard of was that the track sucks in deep snow, as if I didn't know that before I bought it. I noticed my driveshaft said Canada on it so I went and looked at Ski-doo's 146 and the the drive shaft is splined all the way across, I need to go back and take driver measurements.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
I looked at Ski-doos' drive shaft and drivers, they went back to a 2.52 a couple of years ago because the 2.86 was giving them track problems ( sound familiar) their drive shaft would be very easy to convert to a blower belt. :face-icon-small-dis Holy crap I think I'm on to something.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I looked at Ski-doos' drive shaft and drivers, they went back to a 2.52 a couple of years ago because the 2.86 was giving them track problems ( sound familiar) their drive shaft would be very easy to convert to a blower belt. :face-icon-small-dis Holy crap I think I'm on to something.

I don't belive this is correct on the doo's unless they changed something for the 2011's, but 2008-2010 XP's are 2.86.

I'm starting to wonder on yours if maybe something is bent, ie...maybe the driveshaft is not centered in the chassis from a mis maching??, rear axle??. Tunnel??

Might be easier to get 2 identical sleds together and start measuring. Of course this takes time and Polaris may not want to authorize an open ticket to find the problem. However, that is probably what it is going to take.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Thxs Diamonddave, that's what I get for not taking the tape measure with me, I was looking right at the drivers and shaft in the box when I was told they where the 2.52. I'll be getting pictures of another Assault that is the poster child for this problem he has actually beat the track lugs and drivers into submission. it changed the pitch on the track lugs and flattened the contact point of the drivers in 1500 miles.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
OK............. There is no way anyone can tell me that this track is loose. The track is kept so tight that the drivers have flat spots on them with only 1500 miles, if the track is ratcheting than why are the track lugs angled only on one side ? wouldn't they be rounded? This thing is destroyed from the inside. The extrovert is also doing an amazing job ripping the inside windows. There are so many problems in these pictures that Camoplast will be happy to hear that the track is NOT delaminating on the outside, matter of a fact the ouside lugs look damn good. The black on the clips is not just dirt it's rubber from the unclipped windows that's why they burn up hyfaxs. I just want the thing fixed right because replacing it with the same parts doesn't fix anything on these 2010 Assaults.

000_0023.JPG 000_0024.JPG 000_0025.JPG 000_0027.JPG 000_0029.JPG 000_0033.JPG

Last edited:
Premium Features