• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

23 Boosts working good? Thinking of a switch to a G5 in 24

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
My 22 boost has been OK. Good on the top end, poor on the bottom end. Sporadically boggy anywhere in the low to mid range.

Riding with good riders on the G5s and I'm falling behind. The G5 motor and turbo is so good, at all ranges. And the doo track works much better than the Poo 2.75 in a variety of the snow conditions we have in southern interior to northern BC. It seems the final case people make for polaris is its tight tree capability / sidehilling. Well, good riders on the doo G5 seem to do just fine in these scenarios. So, what is left to stay with Polaris? In BC, the ratio of Doo to Poo seems like 10:1 now. Doo has a test facility (Kuster) in southern BC, so maybe they are getting the right feedback and implementing it for BC conditions. Maybe Poo is just using Burandt and other american locations for its testing and the snow conditions are much different than here.

I'm hoping the 23 boost is better, and 24 will be better yet. I haven't heard much on the 23s.

In fairness, I have my sled in the shop right now to get fixed. It barely idles, broken primary spring, lost the brakes, fuel pump is screaming (with the recall updated screen intake in). So, they will add the 23 mapping and maybe I'll get it back and be blown away.

I've been on Polaris for a long time now, and might be time to try a doo for a season.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
My 23 boost runs cleaner on the bottom end and feels snappier than the 22.. I havent rode a G5 yet only a G4 turbo and it was more responsive then the boost on the bottom end. I put a lynx track on my boost and it hooks up now not like the 2.75. I just geared it down as well so hoping to see some better bottom end snap. Heading to revvy for a week friday, will be riding with some G5s should get some time on one and some comparisons. From what everyone has told me the g5 is hands down the **** in all types of terrain. So far i prefer the polaris chassis even though they have there issues

Last edited:

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
I have a G5 154 turbo and a 22’ boost khaos 155. Have about 400 miles on each sled this year. In super technical terrain I’ll take the matryx chassis, it’s just better. The power delivery was way better on the doo until I got the 23’ flash, now they’re pretty close. Doo still has a stronger bottom end, because of the longer stroke most likely. After putting a doo 3” on my boost, it’s a serious weapon and the only thing the doo has on it is much better fuel economy. On long ride days I take the doo, can’t stand having to limit my riding because low fuel. Both amazing machines. I hear rumors of a much better 3 inch (or more) 3.5” pitch track on the 24’ Polaris, could be very good.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
It has been well documented that the Boost is nothing but a planted, boring boat anchor. Do yourself a favor, take the advice of the forum experts and snowcheck a G5. You’ll be thankful when you get your sled on time and find out BRP doesn’t play schedule chicken.

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
I found out today my sled has low compression and needs a engine rebuild. Working on a warranty claim. So that might have been a big part of the low performance on my sled the last trip where I was working hard to hang with the G5s. Back ordered parts until March 15. Lots of time to think about it now. Like chadly says you need two sleds if you are serious about riding now.

I was annoyed with the powder bog on the boost. Especially coming downhill in deep pow. It would sputter and cough when you got to the bottom or trying to carve out, take about 5 seconds of bogging before it snapped back to life.

Maybe a remapped boost with a cutdown G5 track is the ticket. As long as the engine lasts.

Last edited:
B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
I have a G5 154 turbo and a 22’ boost khaos 155. Have about 400 miles on each sled this year. In super technical terrain I’ll take the matryx chassis, it’s just better. The power delivery was way better on the doo until I got the 23’ flash, now they’re pretty close. Doo still has a stronger bottom end, because of the longer stroke most likely. After putting a doo 3” on my boost, it’s a serious weapon and the only thing the doo has on it is much better fuel economy. On long ride days I take the doo, can’t stand having to limit my riding because low fuel. Both amazing machines. I hear rumors of a much better 3 inch (or more) 3.5” pitch track on the 24’ Polaris, could be very good.
On my last trip a 154 G5 with the limiter set to party was similar on climbs to my 165 boost. With the limiter set to serious it would shoot right through something I might need a few runs at. I've got my suspension set to mid fun range to lift the skis, but still climb pretty good. I thought it was gimmicky for doo to have the adjustable limiter strap, but now I think it is a good idea.

Good to hear that the updated mapping helps fix the bottom end on the polaris. It really is a major downfall of the engine before.

B
Jan 30, 2010
Northern BC
My 23 boost runs cleaner on the bottom end and feels snappier than the 22.. I havent rode a G5 yet only a G4 turbo and it was more responsive then the boost on the bottom end. I put a lynx track on my boost and it hooks up now not like the 2.75. I just geared it down as well so hoping to see some better bottom end snap. Heading to revvy for a week friday, will be riding with some G5s should get some time on one and some comparisons. From what everyone has told me the g5 is hands down the **** in all types of terrain. So far i prefer the polaris chassis even though they have there issues
My last trip was Revy. I'll be curious to see what you think after your trip with your sled setup like you have it in comparison to the G5s.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
I found out today my sled has low compression and needs a engine rebuild. Working on a warranty claim. So that might have been a big part of the low performance on my sled the last trip where I was working hard to hang with the G5s. Back ordered parts until March 15. Lots of time to think about it now. Like chadly says you need two sleds if you are serious about riding now.

I was annoyed with the powder bog on the boost. Especially coming downhill in deep pow. It would sputter and cough when you got to the bottom or trying to carve out, take about 5 seconds of bogging before it snapped back to life.

Maybe a remapped boost with a cutdown G5 track is the ticket. As long as the engine lasts.

On my last trip a 154 G5 with the limiter set to party was similar on climbs to my 165 boost. With the limiter set to serious it would shoot right through something I might need a few runs at. I've got my suspension set to mid fun range to lift the skis, but still climb pretty good. I thought it was gimmicky for doo to have the adjustable limiter strap, but now I think it is a good idea.

Good to hear that the updated mapping helps fix the bottom end on the polaris. It really is a major downfall of the engine before.
I’m thinking the low compression had a lot to do with your run ability and performance issues…….

The doo style track also really shines in most snow conditions vs the poo track.

S
Dec 5, 2010
Sḵwxwú7mesh, BC
I live in BC as well, and even though I live 10 min from a doo dealer and started and rode doos for 10 years, I wont be going back. I got my 165 boost dialled !!! and i've ridden 165 and 154 expert G5 turbos .. I just wanted to give them back and get back on my own sled every time.

Riding a doo feels like riding a soup spoon .. i'll deal with changing plugs and wrenching and throwing parts at my polaris all day long !

lynx track
kurts gear down
23 mapping
clutch kit
full khaos conversion with fox shocks, 34" front end and elevate spindles

I freaking love this machine and it blows my mind every day. 100 km/hr track speeds climbing pow ... and surgical precision in the trees .. throttle response .. nimble .. and sounds like a pissed off hot rod... you wanna ride a soup spoon that sounds like a dyson, you go right ahead lol

ps. I also rode a 9r .. I'm snowchecking a 165 khaos boost next year. my boost bottom end is damn near close to a stock 9r

goridedoo

Premium Member
Feb 8, 2010
I had a G5, Expert 154 Turbo R, put 190 miles on it and sold it. Incredible motor, just a hoot to ride. Shot is great. Decent suspension. Great running boards. I would highly recommend that sled... so why did I get rid of it? Simple answer is I am more comfortable on Polaris. The Polaris does a better job of holding its edge and being predictable, especially when crossing old tracks and stuff like that. That's it. That is really the only thing the Polaris does better IMO. But that's a big deal to me. I don't think I will ever find myself in a place on the Polaris where I could not have gone on the G5, but I just prefer the way the Polaris gets from point A to point B when **** gets nasty.

I'm starting to gather that alot of deep snow bog issues on the Boost are likely exhaust related. I've not convinced myself to cut a hole in my tunnel YET but I'm starting to think a BD tunnel dump and an IBEXX intake could solve alot of issues.

I'd say if you want to try a Doo go for it... the handling is different but totally manageable, like you say they go everywhere the Poos go, and then some, they can really climb with the limiter sucked up.

jeeper8650

Premium Member
Oct 18, 2016

They all blow up. My G5 turbo blew up the engine/turbo at 350 miles. All warranty but been down for a month with no end in sight.

You need two sleds if you want to ride everyday doesnt matter which brand.

Premium Features