• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

23 Boosts working good? Thinking of a switch to a G5 in 24

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
It’d take a lotta blown engines and ripped tracks on my Polaris before I’d ever consider Doo again, and honestly probably quit riding before that. The handling isn’t even close and doos weird azs steering kills my shoulders.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
It’d take a lotta blown engines and ripped tracks on my Polaris before I’d ever consider Doo again, and honestly probably quit riding before that. The handling isn’t even close and doos weird azs steering kills my shoulders.
I feel the same.

I rode skidoo for 7 years.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
Curious as to how long ago you rode a Ski Doo- asking for a friend?
2013-2020. Xp, 2 xm’s, 2 G4’s and I spent a full week on a g4 turbo and a full day on a g5 turbo. Ya ….the power is awesome…great track, but man did it feel good to get back on my “underpowered” axys that somehow goes everywhere a Doo does, and even some places the Doo doesn’t. So much easier to ride and much more confidence in how it will act on the snow.

Sheetmetalfab

Lifetime Membership
Oct 5, 2010
……..
They all blow up. My G5 turbo blew up the engine/turbo at 350 miles. All warranty but been down for a month with no end in sight.

You need two sleds if you want to ride everyday doesnt matter which brand.

I pick riding over wrenching- lol

I like riding over wrenching myself. Doo may not be the mountain tamer, but I find it hard to leave their motor.
Just read up a little.

I’ve seen more g4 850’s blown over the last 5 years than axys 800’s or 850’s.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Just read up a little.

I’ve seen more g4 850’s blown over the last 5 years than axys 800’s or 850’s.

In our group, which is split 50/50, no blown Doo 850s. Two Poo 840s blew. One with 10 miles on it this season and the other with a few weeks on it.

All three of the Poos with 2.75 tracks have torn lugs already. One new Doo with a 2.5 lug track is torn.

Pick your poison. They all have issues.

A
Jan 11, 2011
I live in BC as well, and even though I live 10 min from a doo dealer and started and rode doos for 10 years, I wont be going back. I got my 165 boost dialled !!! and i've ridden 165 and 154 expert G5 turbos .. I just wanted to give them back and get back on my own sled every time.

Riding a doo feels like riding a soup spoon .. i'll deal with changing plugs and wrenching and throwing parts at my polaris all day long !

lynx track
kurts gear down
23 mapping
clutch kit
full khaos conversion with fox shocks, 34" front end and elevate spindles

I freaking love this machine and it blows my mind every day. 100 km/hr track speeds climbing pow ... and surgical precision in the trees .. throttle response .. nimble .. and sounds like a pissed off hot rod... you wanna ride a soup spoon that sounds like a dyson, you go right ahead lol

ps. I also rode a 9r .. I'm snowchecking a 165 khaos boost next year. my boost bottom end is damn near close to a stock 9r
I heard that that the 23 Update that the dealer have been doing is an update, but not a fuel mapping update? I was told I had the 23 update but now I am second guessing it. due to the Emissions validation not being completed. does anyone know about this. also was the Kurt's gear down worth the money? I plan on doing the lynx track.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I'd say if your not 100% happy with your ride and have doubts about it enough to consider changing to go try out what your looking at, either find a dealer that has a demo and go ride with them or rent one and ride it for a day. One way to find out before you pull the trigger. Grass is always greener on the other side but in reality it all depends on what manure they are using.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
I look at all the little thing that nag on the Polaris like tps, plug fouling clutch alignment the list goes on. I did jump ship and went gen v I don’t regret it one bit. To all the naysayers about handling. Suspension setup is crucial I don’t like my buddies and he doesn’t like mine it’s whatever works for ya. The genv will go anywhere a pol or a cat will just different.
I would Rather purchase a USA built sled but Polaris is on a fast track to the bottom at this place and time we see this in all manufacturing ups and down.

155Assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Meridian, Idaho
I put a Bikeman stage 1 kit in. it has 3 different fuel maps available on the 7S on pump gas. we have another 22 boost with the 23 map.. The stock map for 23 is alot cleaner and uses less fuel that the 22 map. The Bikeman pulls like a freight train with no bogs or issues. I didn't think much of Bikeman at the time, but I am thoroughly impressed hox much harder it pulls and the fuel map improvement was incredible.. My son did the Vohk tune and had similar results and the bikeman, although it cost twice as much as he had to purchase the tuner, I had a mechanic that had the bikeman tuner.

hogracer

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 7, 2010
St Anthony Idaho
One guys opinion here. I ride with some gen 5 guys, stock 22 boost was way less of a sled, 23 boost with stock mapping struggled when stacked up against the gen 5. Most of this I feel is because the gen 5 track hooks up way better probably 85 percent of the time. The doo bottom end is in my opinion way better. However 23 boost on bikeman stage 3 is in my opinion much better then the gen 5. I don't really dig pulling 8800 rpms on the top but the added response on the bottom especially in the trees is irreplaceable to me. I might change my mind when my pistons land on the moon but for now thats what Im going with. My opinion, out of the box the gen 5 cant be beat, however if you throw some aftermarket stuff at the polaris it rips dang hard!

155Assault

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2010
Meridian, Idaho
I put a Bikeman Stage 1 kit in my 22 boost this year. On the 7S you can select 3 different fuel maps. 23 stock, 10hp or 15hp. It is awesome. The clutching is greatly improved, it spools much faster, and pulls like a freight train. I use stock mode for riding to my area for fuel economy, then switch to the middle mode. I have ridden a G5, It was better than my stock 22, but with the stage 1 pump gas kit, I much prefer the boost.

jrusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Edmonton
My last trip was Revy. I'll be curious to see what you think after your trip with your sled setup like you have it in comparison to the G5s.
Rode 6 days in Revvy snow was 3-4 feet everyday was awesome trip! My sled worked great the gear down helped with bottom end response and I gained some track speed. The lynx track hooks up! The snow changed from day to day with the warmer temps to cooler. The one day I was trenching pretty bad couple down hill stucks it was so deep thought maybe it’s the 3” trenching more but everyone was struggling that day. I didn’t get a chance to try a g5 only G4’s in our group. Was down in a drainage with a couple G5’s hammering out some lines to get some of the others out and I had no issues pulling the same lines out not much of a comparison hopefully next trip I’ll get to throw a leg over one. Did see 5 doos get towed out and 2 new Polaris over the week

8845D6A9-4157-4A76-B82B-7DF71C3C03DA.jpeg 7BE92716-A7F4-413C-A19B-6F2C5C382251.jpeg 1E70ECB5-E20B-4E33-89A2-2E1828F7151B.jpeg DEC770CA-6694-4FA0-B9A8-67212C7FBF38.jpeg

Premium Features