• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

XM/XP?

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
Ok guys. Here is the deal. I have a pretty nice xp that I love. Everyone keeps telling me that I owe it to myself ect. to get a new sled. So I have been riddin a few XMs. Other than the forward post I am struggling to notice much of a difference. I can tell a little in the parking lot or really hard snow the t motion seems to come around alot faster and I like that but hopefully I will not be ridding in.0001 inches of powder. I am not attempting to make anyone upset but just wondering if any one has bought one and wished they had just rode the xp a while longer. My dealer is looking to get a rid of a 13 hold over 146 and I was just thinking about the upgrade but I am struggling to jump, hell maybe I am just cheap.

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
If you like your XP stick with it. Especially if the XM isnt all that great for you. Wait another season and see what BRP comes up with for 2015. I would not spend the $$$ unless I was 100% on how awesome my new sled would perform. IMO

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
Ok guys. Here is the deal. I have a pretty nice xp that I love. Everyone keeps telling me that I owe it to myself ect. to get a new sled. So I have been riddin a few XMs. Other than the forward post I am struggling to notice much of a difference. I can tell a little in the parking lot or really hard snow the t motion seems to come around alot faster and I like that but hopefully I will not be ridding in.0001 inches of powder. I am not attempting to make anyone upset but just wondering if any one has bought one and wished they had just rode the xp a while longer. My dealer is looking to get a rid of a 13 hold over 146 and I was just thinking about the upgrade but I am struggling to jump, hell maybe I am just cheap.

I didn't have the scratch for a new xm last year, so I bought a good used 11 etec and put a flexedge on and after comparing it to my cousins xm I can't say I really feel like I missed out. I would say the biggest area the xm was better was in the fit and finish. The xm did throw around a bit better but not leaps and bounds. I have stated this on other threads and got grilled about it pretty good. Good to see a few people see it the way I do.

Ron Burgandy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2012
Here's why I kept my xp...

Sell xp and buy new xm...roughly $6k

Keep xp with tMotion/s36/post forward but throw in a 872 Trygstad big bore...roughly $2k

Which route makes sense to you?

J

joshua335

Nov 26, 2007
Calgary, AB
That's why I stuck with the XP. I ride with XM's who are all old XP owners. When comparing an XM vs a XP with updrades (10+ rear skis, S36) the big difference is the power and the track (vs ported). Frankly I couldn't justify paying $5000-$6000 more for just that. Find an XP with good upgrades and there's not a heck of a lot of difference.

Also worth noting that I only ride powder, no hardpack rising for me... Don't get out of bed for less then a foot of fresh

Z
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula MT
I will admit that i miss my xp over my xm. My xm has a smooth power band, handles well, i have not had to turn a wrench on it since i bought it, and i feel that it is very reliable. That being said my xp had about 30 lbs off of it, full pipe y pipe and can, timbersled front and rear and clutched and geared really well. Bottom line the xp took a little more rider effort even with the mods but it was WAY more fun to ride than the Stock XM.
I pulled the trigger cause my xp was getting up there in miles and it was goinng to be time for a major overhaul. SO if you LOVE your xp i would say just run with it unless its time for a top end and new bearings and clutch rebuilds everywhere
just my 2 cents i do really miss my xp though

C

CBX

Jan 21, 2008
I will admit that i miss my xp over my xm. My xm has a smooth power band, handles well, i have not had to turn a wrench on it since i bought it, and i feel that it is very reliable. That being said my xp had about 30 lbs off of it, full pipe y pipe and can, timbersled front and rear and clutched and geared really well. Bottom line the xp took a little more rider effort even with the mods but it was WAY more fun to ride than the Stock XM.
I pulled the trigger cause my xp was getting up there in miles and it was goinng to be time for a major overhaul. SO if you LOVE your xp i would say just run with it unless its time for a top end and new bearings and clutch rebuilds everywhere
just my 2 cents i do really miss my xp though

What was more fun about it? Just curious.

2Thetopp

Lifetime Membership
Ed, I've just made the jump from an 08 XP with S36 front end, airframes, non ported track, etc. upgraded every season by making it better with aftermarket goodies, sled worked good. However I got the chance to demo the XM spring of 2012, again in 2013 and I've got to say I could make moves and take lines on the XM that I would never thought of trying on my XP. Confidence on a sled has a lot to do with it, which I had on my Xp, but after only an hour of seat time on the XM I felt more confident as I tested the sled throughout the day confidence only grew, not to mention I was less fatigued at the end of the day. Second years demo only confirmed what I felt the first year, somebody got a really good deal on my XP, they'll be happy with it, but not as happy as me with the Xm. I've got friends that have taken their 2011 XP's and done the flex track, T motion, and spindles, which makes the sled much better, but they still need Airframes, post forward, and a few other upgrades to get there, you just have to know when to say when is enough. I probably could have hung in for one more season before I went to the XM, lost a motor after 3,000 miles so my decision was easy. I understand you posting in the XP section you are going to get a lot of guys telling you to keep the XP, the XM's not worth it, I get that, curious if you post the same question in the XM section what kind of input you'll get. JMO, demo one, then decide.

hivoltagesledhead

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Nakusp, BC
I wondered about the same thing, but with all the mods I have now, I am very happy with my build and see no need to upgrade in the near future. If you have the xp, the mods in my sig will run about $6500 plus my own time to install them all....but you don't need all of them. It sounds like a lot, but I did it over 2 seasons and worth every penny now.

Last edited:
Premium Features