• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

top of the world?

W
Dec 19, 2009
Zimmerman MN
Heading to cooke tomorrow morning. been there about 7 times but we have never made the trek to the top of the world. Is it worth it? We allready have our wyoming trail stickers. Any input or advice would be greatly apreciated.

LoneViper

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Great Falls, Montana
If it's a clear day, don't miss it. If the clouds are low it's impossible to see. The weather can change fast and what's going on in Cook City isn't what's going on up there. Carry fuel.

Z
Oct 9, 2003
We went over there presidents weekend. Feb 20th I would definitely go over there. No tracks and lots of untouched pow when we were there. As stated CARRY FUEL.

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
we were there last weekend. Exellent conditions. Make sure you carry gas and carry a gps. stop at the warming shelter first and get a map. We got into trouble and had to walk for 8 hours to get back to the shelter. If this is your first time up, make sure you have extra supplies, just in case, other wise, awsome riding.

W
Dec 19, 2009
Zimmerman MN
we were there last weekend. Exellent conditions. Make sure you carry gas and carry a gps. stop at the warming shelter first and get a map. We got into trouble and had to walk for 8 hours to get back to the shelter. If this is your first time up, make sure you have extra supplies, just in case, other wise, awsome riding.

Were you with the group that stayed the night out there?

L

LSB

I just got back from a quick TotW ride. We played around Clay Butte and also on the D Loop area. Ive got some pics of the ride. It was a great day and only saw two other riders while we were out all day. Snow depth varied depending on slope face, shade, etc, but no area was total concrete even in the more windblown parts. There should be good riding up there late into the spring, unless we get a super warm wave.

stum1967

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Central North Dakota
Were you with the group that stayed the night out there?

Yes, Me, my son and a friend of mine's son walked from the canyon south of cliff lake to the warming hut. That is a long walk. Search and rescue from Cody had to help the last two guys out. We were lucky that there is a shelter like that up there when we needed it. The Cody snowmobile club really does a great job. Here in North Dakota a warming hut is usually a 8x8 uninsulated plywood shack with a small wood stove.

M
Mar 7, 2008
yah please leave some money in the box in that warming hut. nice of them to keep that hut (semi trailer conversion) with stove/wood/emergency supplies there.
not only need gps and map but best to go with someone who knows area if you venture far away from main road. the trail markers will be hard to see if you get in a storm (which can come on fast), as they are not very close to each other in some areas. often nobody was on the trail anyway and did not have tracks to start with. get wyoming stickers if you go. bring gas.

Premium Features