• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Broken T-Flex motion.

J

Jeff800

Dec 2, 2007
Washington
No facts, just observations, Doo says 160 HP, Poo says 145 HP, on the snow especially in 2013, there is very litle difference in performance...... Why ? I assume the mechanisms that transfer power from crankshaft to snow. What do u suggest ?

If you are looking at just Performance as in horsepower moving the sled around you have to look at power to weight ratio.
Skidoo claims 164hp @ 464lbs on the 154" XM so that's 2.83Lbs/HP
Polaris claims 150+ hp @ 417lbs for the Pro 155" so that's 2.78Lbs/HP.

Just taking numbers for numbers not real world actual transfer of power, that is pretty equal. For every 1 horsepower it is moving almost 3 pounds of mass. Of course it's not that easy you have several variables that come into play.

tudizzle

Lifetime Membership
Mar 23, 2005
COLORADO
It was my understanding that the Miku's ran NA sleds

The benefits of riding a sled at/near sea level?

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
It was my understanding that the Miku's ran NA sleds

The benefits of riding a sled at/near sea level?

Cory runs bikeman big bores 880s in the carb motors and 860 in the etec is what I've read. The other micku's run turbos.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Talked to the guy that i took the first picture from. According to him, the red circled welds are the ones that broke. And again, this was not hard jumping or dropping, but bumpy trail riding.

yammyman_1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 10, 2010
Sturgeon County, Alberta
Talked to the guy that i took the first picture from. According to him, the red circled welds are the ones that broke. And again, this was not hard jumping or dropping, but bumpy trail riding.

Interesting... Non-tmo scissors have the same welds in the same spot. Do they not? Must be a simple welding defect... Thanks for the pics!

Last edited:

retiredpop

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Calgary
Looks like the OP did a pretty good McGiver fix on this to get home. Broken bolt, broken mount, broken coupler, whatever--who really cares? I don't see any reason why this has to turn into a DOO vs POO bash.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
Honestly I have seen more suspension components break when riding mtn. sleds down "BUMPY" trails than I have seen when jumping or backcountry riding. Rough trails are subjective and to me a bumpy trail resembles a supercross whoop or rythm section with a bunch of excitable type characters racing each other down it to get to the end of the trail and the good snow. Just my expierience. Good luck with the tmotion but I expect to see alot more of these type failures. Buy a HOLZ skid! they will take it, and ride well doing it!

I've seen many Holz parts fail as well. Which I attribute to his price point and not re-heattreating the chromoly after welding. They always fail in the heat effected zone of the weld. The Chromoly tubing fatigues next to the weld from its weakened post weld (annealed) state. If he spent a few more dollars re-heattreating the parts after welding the strength would be better than doubled and never be an issue.

Glad his stuff has held up to your riding style / ability.

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
a $100 john deere will jump a log and keep going.but a $12,000k pro might not make it.wtf?

Beeler, you couldn't even jump over your own keyboard if the 12K was on the other side. Now get off of Grandma and go at least garage ride that ancient Skud of yours. Bet it handles better than Grandma in your dreams.

wildcard28

Dec 18, 2007
Clarkston WA
s375.photobucket.com

Looks like nothing a little more welding can`t fix, Things break like this I don`t think this will be a very common problem we are constantly going to read about like the Poo driveshafts, man click on the new threads since last login option and that seems to be a huge percentage of the threads you read of all the broken or Bad Design breakdowns, but that was alot of the case when the 08 xp came out driveshaft probs in them also.

of course there could of been a some more or longer welds on this t motion part or make this bottom scissor part stronger and not as light lookin like the one that is in my Rev or 97 summit there is definetly more metal in that one, but just like that sled or if anyone who has oned one should know the metal tabs at the top of the front arm were natorious for breaking and the front shock would come loose etc..

parts break get fixed or redesigned thats just how it is doesn`t make any brand or any sled company bad. all the new sled are amazing machines.

pretty good idea with the strap and the piece of log, just goes to show ya a little Wood goes along way, LOL. work with what ya have. (not presonaly but ya know).

Wildcard

D
Jan 8, 2013
t motion trangle bracket broke om mine yesterday.

Mine broke above welds on cross member. Stress/heat fracture? Looked like had been cut with sawzall. That was after 28 easy miles on brand new sled. I weigh 210 fully dressed in snowgear. Did not hit anything. I had a similar picture lashing sticks to rails.

D
Jan 8, 2013
t motion breaking

Thanks for the follow up. That is exactly where mine broke. If it breaks in 30 miles on a bumpy trail, brp needs to beef this up. I have a 2002 Polaris edge with 3k miles, running on the same trails to get to high country and no failures.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
parts break get fixed or redesigned thats just how it is doesn`t make any brand or any sled company bad. all the new sled are amazing machines.

Wildcard

Couldn't agree more -- We demand new innovation and the price we pay is that things are gonna break. All the testing in the world can't compare to real world production runs, no matter who the manufacturer is.

Premium Features