• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Need help from electrical gurus

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Ok, did a fairly major revamp on sled and now have it all together, (subframe removal, so all wiring was moved quite a bit). I started the sled and took a spin in the yard, all was well. Dropped the oil and when I went to restart after changing oil the fuel pump will not engage. I can feel the relay clicking, so I am pretty sure it is good, i can also put a jumper to the fuel pump and make it run. I have torn it apart again and wiggled the main harness, checked connections (all have dielectric grease in them) at the relay and the ECU, with the key on I cannot get the pump to come on at all.

I aslo have rocks grip booster on it and the rollover valve, and neither one of them are working either. The rollover tether does kill the juice, but the valve does not close and the light on the dash does not come on. The handwarmer booster does not light the dash light either when the grips are turned off (like it should)

I am leaning towards something in the ECU unless someone can steer me in the right direction.

The sled ran fine right up until I shut it off to change the oil, and now nothing but cranking and code 43 which I know is the fuel injection system.

Thanks for any help.

Kirk

up-high

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta Canada
Do all the dash lights flash and the tach needle cycle when you turn on the key? Maybe not enough charge in the battery? Have you checked the fuses? May have burnt one moving wiring. May have pulled a wire apart inside insulation.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
yes everything works on the dash, its been on a trickle charger for a week or better and battery turns it over good.

The fuses over by the starter relay are both good.

I hope it isn't a wire inside the loom, that could be impossible to find.

Anyone got a used good harness just laying around LOL

N

nytro circus

Dec 29, 2009
Clarkston,Wa
I had similar issue on my 09 could here the relay but no pump it turned out to be the starter relay! I made the mistake of running a jumper with a toggell switch to the pump BAD IDEA!!!!! It kept dying and was a good thing I was told as soon as the boost kicked in I would have blow up my motor..

Check relay I believe there is an updated one

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
I had similar issue on my 09 could here the relay but no pump it turned out to be the starter relay! I made the mistake of running a jumper with a toggell switch to the pump BAD IDEA!!!!! It kept dying and was a good thing I was told as soon as the boost kicked in I would have blow up my motor..

Check relay I believe there is an updated one

I was pretty sure the starter relay feeds the fuel pump relay, i will check to see if it is getting juice where it should. This electrical crap really frustrates me lol

thanks

any other ideas guys

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Ok switched relays again and no change. I have power on the starter relay. On the fuel pump relay I only get juice on the red/white wire and never get juice to any of the other 3 connectors. When touching one with test light I hear the relay click but nothing changes. When I touch the terminal in the same position on the fan relay the fan comes on. Maybe this tells u electrically talented guys something but it doesn't mean much to me lol

Motleyone

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Pullman,WA
Not familiar with PL setup, do you use the stock fuel tank? On your main wire harness the plug for the fuel pump sits right against the frame just at the "V" on the steering hoop. If you moved your entire harness around maybe you are causing a short out on the frame. Have you cleared your codes? According to the manual if you get no power to the pump you either have an open or short circuit in the harness or a bad ECU. Have you check the system voltage using the diagnostic procedure?

Last edited:

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Finally found it, the red/green wire that comes from the fuse (at the starter relay) was not feeding juice to the relay (the red white one was feeding juice). I started tearing into the harness and finally found a bad spot in the wire about 18" from the relay. Looks like it wore in two. Kinda strange that it could do it packed in the middle of the harness but stranger things have happened. I have extended warranty, so dealer is seeing if they will cover it and just put a new one in. Otherwise i will fix it and recover the harness. What a pain in the A$$

Thanks for everyones advice

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Good find. I'd reinstall the harness in the sled to find out where that wire got damaged and deal with it. The Nytro wiring harness has a couple of trouble spots.....one being the casting nub on the motor mount behind the primary clutch.

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
Good find. I'd reinstall the harness in the sled to find out where that wire got damaged and deal with it. The Nytro wiring harness has a couple of trouble spots.....one being the casting nub on the motor mount behind the primary clutch.

I think it was a freak deal, kinda looked like the coating on the wire had a bad spot in it. There was no place that it had rubbed from the outside, and the bad wire was buried in the middle of all the wires (holy $hit there a lot of wires on a nytro harness lol) I cut the bad wire out and if i get a good camera near it will try to post a pic.

For what it is worth this must not happen very often as the harness is still on its way as it had to come from the mother ship in Japan

kirk

yammi4ever

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Garwin, Iowa
I do not know, they said tuesday that it should be here within a week. Haven't heard anything since then.

I patched it half a$$ed to ride around here, hopefully i have it before we try to go west. thanks for the offer, hope I don't have to take you up on it LOL.

Since I ordered a boost it, I am hoping they both get here early next week and I can put it all in at the same time.

What is the part number on yours, I see they have changed it from the label that was attached to mine.

kirk

Premium Features