• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

100ll vs 110 in a big bore

E

Ed Fast

Jan 22, 2004
Gillette WYO
I have researched this and maybe I have missed the tread but if 100ll is such a superior fuel why do we not all use it? Sorry if this has been covered and I did not find it. I am thinking about using some 100ll this year instead of 110, And if I do use 110 what one do use guys go with? Thanks

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
Race fuel is superior to avgas it is manufactured using much more stringent controls. That said 100ll is enough for most guys requiring a bit more octane. We don't all use it because most guys only need 91 and 100ll costs more and will sacrifice some power if you don't need the extra octane.

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
For some its availability, their airport won't sell to them without a tail #. Some need the full octane of race fuel. Some just get away with a booster to pump fuel. Many variables...

You can't go wrong with Sunoco if you choose race fuel.

D

duch17

Nov 26, 2007
How does av gas hurt power production and race fuel increases it? With my BB running too much ave gas it kills performance.

Bendy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 11, 2009
Spirit River, AB Canada
We use Av gas

My boss owns a plane so he has a fuel station. We sell to aircraft landing at our small town airport. Motorcross racers, sledders and drag racers. Who ever wants it! I used it in my Rev Turbo when I was running low boost.

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.
Race fuel is superior to avgas it is manufactured using much more stringent controls. That said 100ll is enough for most guys requiring a bit more octane. We don't all use it because most guys only need 91 and 100ll costs more and will sacrifice some power if you don't need the extra octane.

Hmmm.....I have to question that statement. Where did you get your info?

D

dmaxd2500

Sep 29, 2009
G WYO
X2^^^ Avgas is federally mandated and regulated so it is EXACTLY the same no matter where you go. There has to be a reason why Burandt and all his turbo buddies use it.....and it's not the cost.

Wheel House Motorsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
SW MT
Race fuel is superior to avgas it is manufactured using much more stringent controls.
uh huh.... FAA mandates all sorts of wild rules for anything aviation related.. the fuel requirements are not being left out. heck, once the fuel goes in it can never be run in a plane if it gets drained back out. you CANT have failures on a plane so everything is way over engineered and tested compared to other industries. so what if you get some bad gas in your race vehicle, it blows a motor? big whoop.. get bad gas in a plane... dead.

J

jasonrev

Jan 28, 2008
Burns Lake B.C.
uh huh.... FAA mandates all sorts of wild rules for anything aviation related.. the fuel requirements are not being left out. heck, once the fuel goes in it can never be run in a plane if it gets drained back out. you CANT have failures on a plane so everything is way over engineered and tested compared to other industries. so what if you get some bad gas in your race vehicle, it blows a motor? big whoop.. get bad gas in a plane... dead.

You echoed my thoughts exactly. I would trust the quality of av any day over race fuel.

K
Nov 5, 2008
Central Utah
av gas is way better!!

The other thing to take into consideration in av gas vs race fuel is the elevation that it is used and trusted. The av gas has to be good enough to use at 30k elevation and sea level. I ride with a lot of turbos and all of them have found that av gas is just as consistent and easier to get your hands on than race fuel.

Premium Features