• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Double check your Mountain Horse chaincase slack!

R

Rush44

Nov 26, 2007
Flathead Valley, MT
Just wanted to give a heads up the new MH owners that you need to keep an eye on your chaincase tension. I had not made any adjustments to mine since I picked it up and I decided to just open the case and see how things look. Good thing I did... the chain (from being too loose) had been slapping against the bolt mounts and almost cut through 2 of them. I was able to tighten and stop the damage before anything needed to be replaced, but now I'll make sure to check it every couple of rides. I know that one of our local riders around here didn't catch his in time and went through some hardware this way. Easy way to save a couple bucks.

Have fun!

V
Sep 22, 2008
chain tensionss

Should be standard pratice to check over every thing prior to going out, only takes a few minutes ,I noticed that my sprockets dont run true so roll sprockets completely around cause there might be a tight spot and which will cause an early bearing failure .

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I would think it would be pretty standard practice to lube and check all chains and sprockets prior to a ride. I usually check my chain case once in the middle of a ride too. One thing that should be pointed out that doesn't seem so obvious is that if you remove the bolts that hold the sprockets on make sure to use a good amount of red loctite on the threads before reinstalling. I have seen these bolts back out and bend the chain case cover on a couple different kits.

Last edited:

Ryanexcr

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2011
Washington State
Ya I just changed up my gearing and swapped over those sprockets and I was out out of locktite I will have to keep an eye on them. You should for sure use locktite, If I like how this setup works I will put some on for sure.

T
Nov 13, 2008
chaincase

Has anyone had a problem with heat? Two of us had heat issues in the chaincase last weekend ..it got so hot in there that it melted the o rings and ruined the bearings ...and we always check the tention before every ride ...I mean it was so hot we cud have fried a steak in there ...any solutions?

V
Sep 22, 2008
ALWAYS USED WAX CHAIN LUBE, KEEPS HEAT DOWN BY REDUCEING FRICTION AND DOESNT FLING OFF LIKE MOST CHAIN LUBES,ALSO CHECK SPROCKET ALLINGMENT MINE WAS OFF .O50'' FROM NEW SO RE SHIM .

Mtn. Muncher

Premium Member
Feb 21, 2010
Has anyone had a problem with heat? Two of us had heat issues in the chaincase last weekend ..it got so hot in there that it melted the o rings and ruined the bearings ...and we always check the tention before every ride ...I mean it was so hot we cud have fried a steak in there ...any solutions?

This happens from 1 of 2 things or combination of both.
Chain is adjusted way to tight.
Chain is old and dried up on the inside.

Jon Mutiger

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2010
Maple Ridge, BC
Be sure to check your chain tension in a number of spots.. Roll the track and make sure the tightest spot isn't too tight. I'd suspect you simply have your chains WAY too tight. The sprockets and shafts are not round, so don't expect one tension to fit all possible locations of where the sprocket/shaft could be. Sounds nuts, but it's true. Your bearings will likely have taken some severe beating, so get some 6205's ready as your gonna need them.

Premium Features