• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

uni filter questions

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Don't do it. The Edge chassis is designed to pull good fresh air from outside the hood via the air box. You put filters on it and it will run like crap.

Why are you wanting to get rid of the airbox? If you are having intake plugging issues there are a couple of things you can do to keep that from happening on an edge chassis.

sled_guy

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
This is an edge rmk right? You have the foam inserts in the 2 intakes in the hood by your knees? You can replace them with the covers in this picture:
http://www.slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=21&productID=1137

You can add 2 flowrites in the dash like this in this picture:
http://www.slp.cc/catalog.cfm?pageID=detail&catalogID=3&catID=21&productID=356

Make sure you have the airbox to carb rubbers securely in place.

Are you running the stock pipe or aftermarket? I run the above setup and even added the 4" flowrite when I pulled my speedo out. I can ride with powder over the hood and it never skips a beat.

sled_guy

P
Jan 9, 2015
I have the ones by my knees. I also have a slp single pipe but I don't think it's a slp can. Could the pipes be make it blubbery in the mid range? Or do I just need keep changing the carbs wherever I go.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Yeah, blubbery midrange is a carberation issue.

Make sure you have all the pipe joints sealed well so no exhaust escapes under the hood.

Make sure your muffler outlet is sealed good around the belly pan doughnut.

sled_guy

brandon1

Premium Member
Jan 20, 2009
Glenwood Springs
I have a 04 vertical escape so it has the snow socks on the vents by your knees, I added 2" vents on either side of the gauges and a 4" in the gauge pod on the down slope in front of the gauges so I could keep all the gauges.

I say it works, however if my jetting is off a bit for the elevation and I'm in deep snow it does get blubbery, however that's the carb jetting not the intakes. When I have it jetted right it always runs good.

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
You'd be reinventing the wheel, and not end up with a very good wheel.

Seriously, thousands of Edge RMKs have been run in neck deep powder with the stock airbox and not had issues. Focus on something else.

sled_guy

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
gut the airbox except for the first shelf that snow/water would hit on its way down. i like to remove both gauges (i can tell when its not revving up fully, dont need to look at an uncalibrated tach) and put flowrites in their spot. you can add a little water temp gauge to better monitor the engine temp if you worried about losing your dummy light. edge hoods are pretty dang light when you remove all the useless crap.
if you want to play around with filters, try the kickass or k&n style little cones. Ive had good luck with them in the deep. never heard anything good about the foam pods. id install an egt if you do.
close the nose vent in deep powder.

Premium Features