• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

switching brands

A
Sep 18, 2008
fernie
k the problem with the title is I have really loved my cats. and was planning on buying another one this year or early next depending on how the 2012 were standing up. now im back to riding my old m7 till I figure out what to do.

I realise once the warrenty date goes buy thats that... but I have heard of good faith and here is a time I think it may have fit.
my 2010 m8 dopped a skirt on dec 31 and my warrenty exspired on dec 8th. when they took the mottor apart they said both pistons had cracked skirts one side fell off... now i need a crank jugs pistons... plus my bulk head is all cracked....
all I was hoping they would cover was the motor I would pay for install I will weld up the bulk head although that should have been coverd to.
so now im sitting here going I need to buy a new sled, love all the cats I have had but not sure i want to support a company the wont strech ther covraged by 2.5 weeks...
and to top it all off I would normaly had 500 km more on the sled buy that time if my wife didnt have a stroke.. and it would have went on coverage
so the big ? is what to buy that can compair. im thinking the only real option is a pro RMK but maybe I should head down the doo road... or a turbo nytro... I think i ride the trees to much for the nytro even though iv seen guys make them work...

what im asking is what do you think a m chassy rider goes to if they want to take there money else were.

S
Sep 16, 2010
Sorry to hear about your sled, that sucks.

Have you asked about so-called good faith warranty or anything? Did the dealership go to bat with AC on your behalf?

A
Sep 18, 2008
fernie
I asked a the dealer went to bat for me but twere told that its past the date. so much for good faith hay...
and I cant undrsand how a compainy would want to loose a regular customer over 3 weeks or so.

I had a demo lined up and everthing for the 1100t and the pc8 but am not going to waist the dealers time.
what do you think I should buy

D
Mar 31, 2011
I came off an m series sled to a pro rmk. I'm glad I did it. The pro rips. That being said, there is a learning curve with the new sled. The Ms are more predictable but the pro can swap ends like a jack rabbit! You just better be on top of it. A little less margin for error IMO. Seems to be a little more rider forward

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
The days of getting warrenty work done after warrenty has ended, is over. This is not just a cat thing. Too bad for your troubles but that is why they put an end date on the papers. I go and spend a quarter million on a couple new trucks, one mile or one hour over warrenty time and I end up picking up the bill. My dealer does what he can but everything goes in the computer and no amount of complaining changes that. Thats the new reality of business.

Last edited:
A
Sep 18, 2008
fernie
going to try to arrange a test/demo ride on a pro rmk. still shocked that cat wont go good for anything. guess i need to let my wallet do some talking.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
Just curious... obviously a skirt doesn't just crack overnight, would there be any way to prove that the issue was there before the date that you lost warranty?

Either way... the pro is a great sled, imo better than the cat, you won't be unhappy.

A
Sep 18, 2008
fernie
i dont know how to prove that both pistons were cracked before the warranty expired but i do beleave that they were. and my bulk head was definitely cracked last year looking into the cracks...
ether way cat is loosing a loyal customer over a motor.... I hope that polaris has got the mill sorted out finally...

ps if you buy a new cat put the extra warranty on it. hey don't stand behind there work/parts....
bcl thanks for the revue I think im going to be geting the rmk

tatorsalad

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
With the history of the polaris 800 motor i would put as long of a warranty as you could get and when it is almost up get another one or insurance and hit a tree.

Thistledoo

Lifetime Membership
Have you talked to Ryan at Mr rs in lethbridge?

From what I have seen and heard best dealer in the south, worth the call for sure.

Tell Him Brendon told ya to call....they ride there all the time and have the rental fleet at mountain memories in the pass. Great guys!! And if there is a issue they take care of it!!!

606firecat

Oct 19, 2010
From what I keep hearing about the pro rmk 800 mill I would go buy a doo if I were ever switching brands....either that or get the longest warranty they offer.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
If you do swap brands and buy an extended warranty from polaris read the fine print. If the sled has a 1 year warranty and you buy a 1 1/2 year extended warranty it means you have 1 1/2 years of warranty total, not 2 1/2. This is what one of my friends said that works at our local polaris shop. And from what he said the price was you would expect it to be a complete warranty extension. Just thought I would throw it out there.

By the way how many miles did you have on the sled?

J
Dec 1, 2007
wyoming
I got to tell ya i am equipment mechanic forman and i deal with this bs all the time and have a hard time getting any company to honor there warranty. Lets face it our country is going in the gutter the greedy pricks that own these companys arnt making the money they are used to so they are looking for anyway possable to cut expenditures. Cutting non covered warranty repairs is one of em and they are good at doing it. So even if it has warranty dont count on it because if they can pin it on you anyway they will. Warranty just covers defects of manufacturing not our screw ups. Polaris only fixed their crappy motors 2 years ago because of a threat of lawsuit and i guarantee many of there loyal customers had to pay for motor failures before that. There all the same and they all have there problems. If you are worried about repairing a sled better find a new sport.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I would have got on the line myself with the cat rep and told him, more like asked him if I was buying a pro-rmk today or a PC. They cover it and you get a PC, they don't I would have gone straight to the closest poo dealership (reputable dealership) and got a 3-4yr warranty on a new pro-rmk. If you like the M you will like the pro, also if you like the M, don't go anywhere near a doo, you will not like it.

FYI, a cracked bulkhead is covered under insurance, claim it as needing replacement parts and then weld it up and use the money to fix the motor.

Just curious though, did you ride the sled between the date it expired and the day you found the problem, or did the sled just randomly die on you at some point in time, if it did that is when it prob happened. But I don't know why it would have.

boone

Premium Member
May 27, 2007
Crazytown!!
Pardon me if this comes out wrong, but...If every company out there covered every issue on every sled that was 3 weeks past warranty expiration, there wouldn't be a single company left in business. It's called a 2 year warranty for a reason, not a 2 year 3 week warranty. I completely understand your frustration and do agree that there should be a little "wiggle" room, but I understand why they don't. If they did it for you they would have to do it for everyone and then the price for new sleds would just be hocked up even more to compensate.

Sucks though regardless. Sorry bout your luck!

Boone

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Agreed, but if I'm going to have a motor popping sled why not own a poo, there better out of the box stock for stock IMO.

Would like to know how many miles it has and the cause of failure.

If I where the dealer I would give you the parts for cost at the least, to keep the business. Most wont but I live in a small town and in some cases it goes a long way in my line of work.

Last edited:
Premium Features