• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Visi's Mod Shop

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
I recently bought a new to me '08 XP for a back up. I picked it up for really cheap but I knew when I bought it that I would have to do some work to it. It only has 798 miles on the chassis. From what I know about the sled the crank was replaced about 400 or so miles ago. The sled came with a SLP single, Vforce 3 reeds, and an Oil Delete. It also had Dave Trygstads race porting done to the cylinders. The ECU was programmed back to stock with the 8400 rev limiter. Since I already have a slightly Mod sled already I was looking for a stock sled but It was too good of a deal to pass up.

Old Build

Plan:

1. I took of the Race Port cylinders and have sold them and already bought stock cylinders. Made some money on the deal too, which was nice.

2. Run Dave's race pistons

3. I bought a new hood, belly pan, side pannels, and gauge console.

4. It has a set of steel A-arms on it right now. I have my old take off aluminum A-arms from my first XP build and am going to put them on.

5. I ordered both of the Frett bros. E-module braces.

6. I plan on getting the SLP intake just for a little more air so it is their Stage 2 set up with the pipe and reeds.

7. The sled has the old Challenger lite track which I don't care for so, I am installing my old Powdermaxx track that I took off when I put the Camo Extreme on.

8. On the Powdermaxx track I am going to install the Mountain Magic port repair kit

I am sure I will do a few little things also.

I found out the biggest problem with the sled today. I already had the top end off of the sled and am waiting for a base gasket to get here. I was messing around in the shop and decided to take the whole motor out just to check out a few things. When I took the water pump cover off the bottom and and rotated the crank the propeller wouldn't spin. A few know this but this same thing just happened to me on my other XP. It turns out that it was the water pump gear on the water pump shaft. Makes sense since there was no oil reservoir filing the vent for the water pump cavity. I started taking the bottom end apart and about a half hour later I found this...

Chewed up water pump gear.
402fa604.jpg

While looking at the crank I saw that the bearings were packed with Patamo grease instead of ISO flex grese.
b880589a.jpg

I am really glad that the water pump gear was stripped because I wouldn't of torn it down to look at the bearing grease. This probably saved me thousands in the long run. Whie I am waiting on the water pump shaft assembly I am going to take out the Petamo grease as best as I can and install ISO flex grease. Luckily I have most of a tube left from my last motor and the case sealant so I don't have to order anything else. Not how I wanted to spend my winter (wrenching) but at least it has to do with snowmobiles.

Couple of the Chassis
93babbf5.jpg

fb5030ea.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Got a few things in this weekend. I got the Mountain Magic port covers for my old PowderMaxx track. Not done installing these yet but will finish up tomorrow. They take a while to install. They are plastic and fit pretty good. I thought that they were rubber but that's ok. The whole bag only weighed about 5 pounds. For some better flotation I think it will be worth it.

66b713b3.jpg

8b345379.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Took my A-arms off and the belly pan/nose piece. Installed the new one with the bumper. Nothing too big.

2319d0cd.jpg

019e3518.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
I took off the rear suspension so I could drop the track and drive shaft. Nothing too big. While I was taking the rear suspension out I noticed that the drop brackets were broken on the running board side on both sides. I will have to drill the rivets out and get them welded up. I might invest in some Timbersled drop brackets but I'm not sure yet.

9d1f5ed1.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Ended up getting a set of Timbersled Drop Brackets. Good thing because I destroyed the stock drop brackets in the process of getting them off. They weren't too hard to put on. Hardest part is taking the stock drop brackets off.

fbce216a.jpg

b1762116.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Got the engine back together today. Realized I need to find/get my water pump gasket.

9ad24d3e.jpg

5761d7f8.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Shocks came in. Fox Zero Pro R's. Waiting for A-Arms and some other things from the powdercoater.

0fb2a5a5.jpg

Last edited:

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Got my stuff back from Platinum Powder Coating in Chico today. I decided to do it because I knew that I would probably get bored this summer and do it anyway. Better to do it once than twice.

159db987.jpg

The XP's come stock with plastic A-arm bushings, I replaced them with brass bushings. A guy on Dootalk sells them on their products page and they are for sale on Ebay too.

ee9762c8.jpg

Got the rear suspension together and the front is coming along.

2604c578.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Last night I got the rear suspension in. Also buttoned up the Grip N' Rip E-Module/Nun/A-Arm braces.

06d80da2.jpg

Grip N' Rip braces

3a198d65.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Also last night a buddy of mine called me up and asked if I could help him on his sled. He said that the motor seized. Tore the 01 Skidoo ZX 800 down and found....

Crack/Hole in the bottom of the case.

009bfaa0.jpg

Rod broke still in the piston.

c89cb785.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Thanks man, I should have the sled together by this weekend. Now I just need to find 01' parts. yay....

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Got the engine in the machine today with the help of my roomate and started it up. Took nine pulls. I will button it up tomorrow. I am short a hose clamp for the intake, new ski bolts, and some push clips for the plastics so I can get them on.

Engine in chassis.
7df2de8e.jpg

Shaun topping off coolant.
690a8403.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
I like the way the way the shocks and A-arms look together

448cae4b.jpg

Kind of different way to mount the oil reservoir and ecu
8b06950c.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Well first trip out with them both. No complaints. Found that the throttle cable has a little kink when on off the throttle. Wasn't getting stuck open but will replace before any accidents happen.

The '08s
a83edbb3.jpg

The sleds. Me, My dad, and my roomate Shaun. Shaun rode the new one most of the day. It was his first ride and he rocked. Probably a new face to the group soon.
5f864bbc.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Well, on 4-27-12 in the Cisco area I hit a tree well pretty hard causing quite a bit of damage to the sled and resulting in the last ride of the season for me. I started tearing into it this week to see the damage and took a few pictures. I need to replace the S-Module,
E-module, steering bracket, and post. I decided to upgrade these parts to Freeride parts. I also got two rubber E-tec motor mounts for some future plans and two clutch rebuild kits for the sleds while I was at it. This time I am going to use 10 series nuts and bolts instead of Aviation Rivets when I attach them back to the chassis. I am sure it will be stronger.

Gap between E-Module and S-Module with most of the rivets gone.
0afc135b.jpg

Gap with a big seperation below the motor mount.
0590ea12.jpg

On the outside of the chassis when the upper A-arm connects the E and S module with a Gap.
c01289db.jpg

Last edited:

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
The Grip N' Rip braces are supposed to be on the outside of the S-Module. Somehow it worked its way underneath it.
0d7b4dd6.jpg

275596f4.jpg

Visi

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Paradise, CA
Separated
8dd59ff5.jpg

64995a0b.jpg

e6c4955e.jpg

6f954b95.jpg

While I am waiting on parts the Yellow one needs a new Chaincase. Where the original owner welded the pull rope bracket to the chaincase broke and was shooting oil everywhere. Never ending story right?

Last edited:
S

swrev

Jun 26, 2008
Lewistown, MT
That sucks but you'll have lots of room to install a turbo if you're still considering it. Since you are going w/ Freeride parts, put the C3 bracket.

Premium Features