• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

TBI Heated Bar Plumbing

BB36

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2023
Southeast Idaho
I went a different route with plumbing for heated handlebars and thought I would share. I figured I would leave the factory thermostat that the bike came with. (wifes 23 250xc, my 24 300xc). If there was a nice bolt in thermostat setup available like on the four strokes I would consider switching to that... I didn't want to mess with trying to tap into coolant hoses. I have done that on previous bikes (2 Stroke) I wanted something with a cleaner install. On the TBI bikes the cylinder head cover and water pump cover are super cheap. Like $30 for a head cover and $10 for a water pump cover from the dealer. So I decided to drill and tap them both for my supply and return lines. I figured if it didn't work like I wanted I'm only out $40 to go back to stock. I felt comfortable with amount of material when threading the parts, and so far no leaks... For these 2 strokes I think a billet head cover with the thermostat integrated in and a couple ports for things would be the perfect setup. Till then this is working great and is basically free minus your time and some fittings.

I also modified both our stock bars, and turned them into heated bars. First time doing that, not hard just take your time. All in for both bikes im about $50 in materials.

20231217_105229.jpg 20231217_105237.jpg 20231216_112548.jpg

M

MountainRider05

Nov 29, 2007
Kennewick,WA
Im in the process of building my 24’ ktm 300sx.. pretty cool idea if keeping it basically stock…I ended up going with a thermobob 131f stat.. deleted that stock plastic tstat( it was barely tight so watch for leaks if keeping it) im also running a tunnel cooler as well. Ill be running Tsp high comp head, thier ERM with mx tune. Pretty excited about the new ERM Should be game changer for us snowbikers.

IMG_4894.jpeg IMG_4928.jpeg IMG_4856.jpeg IMG_4816.jpeg IMG_4728.jpeg

BB36

Lifetime Membership
Dec 19, 2023
Southeast Idaho
Thanks for the heads up on the stock thermostat I will definitely check that out. I want to add a dedicated heat exchanger like you have done in the future. I'm also interested in the ERM, like to see where that goes...

J

JimBridger

Mar 11, 2013
SE Idaho
Good thinking. Some tig welder could maybe weld bungs on stock parts and sell the kit fairly cheap if you were worried about having enough threads.

Premium Features