• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Overheat Issues - 2022 Expert Turbo Short Tunnel

I have a snow checked 22 Ski Doo Summit X (Gen4) w/ Expert Package 850 E-TEC Turbo 165” 3”… Been riding McBride (Renshaw) and Valemount (Westridge, Clemina, Chappell, Allan Creek) mostly this season since the sled arrived at the end of December. (British Columbia, Canada)

Has anyone else with these sleds experienced constant heat issues on the trails up and down the mountains? Even with scratchers down (rail mounted) and “chainsawing” down when possible all the way up and down the trails my sled tends to overheat and leaves me stuck on the sides of the trails wasting time cooling it down. This year has been tough with hard packed icy conditions on the trails but nothing too extreme like riding on exposed dirt for any length of time. Once I get up to actual snow in the riding areas the sled is flawless and I have no heat issues whatsoever.

I have watched Norona’s video on the subject with the short tunnels and it seems like I shouldn’t be having an issue.

I have since picked up the expert snow flap but have yet to hit the mountains to ride. Looking like a couple weeks before I can test it out.

Do I possibly have a thermostat sticking, possibly not opening all the way and restricting coolant flow or is this a common issue with these sleds? Just looking for some insight through others experiences. The last thing I want to put this new motor through is excessive heat periods.

60148BA4-F5D7-45C3-8536-BF01DB9EAB66.jpeg 6189079B-99D1-4D5A-87D5-56315904F101.jpeg 60544D7C-311E-4F1F-92F5-B730D8ED43A7.jpeg D723BBE6-6D8B-4796-B8D2-26900F515B23.jpeg A78ADCCA-3DC7-43B4-B58C-2BBDACE942EE.jpeg

duncan76

Lifetime Membership
Aug 16, 2013
central 509
Mine is the same however one simple trick will eliminate it. Go to the grocery store and get a big onion sack fill it with snow throw a net over it and bam can go close to 10 miles without refilling it.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
The shorter tunnel has less cooling capacity,
Also having a tunnel bag on the top doesn’t help any cooling unfortunately.
Staying off the boost also help on the trail in these sticky conditions.
I’m surprised your having issues at Renshaw tho, carrying speed helps and that’s a good trail to do it on.

titaniumbadger

Premium Member
Dec 2, 2007
Pocatello, ID
We had 4 turbos in our group last week. All were overheating a bit on the trail, one more than others for some reason. Two of us pick up the snow flap after a couple days and no more issues. dragging feet dropped temps by 10 degrees, not ideal, but better than stopping. we all had our scratchers down but it wasn't enough. The one non-turbo doo in the group also overheated one time when he forgot to put his scratchers down.

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
You need a snow flap and add a set of over the top rail mounted ice scratchers .The stock only scratchers don’t doo it.Norona claims never an issue just like he claims snowflap doesn’t get caught in the track sometimes.Check the post I have replied to in the past and all the people that have the same issue .You need s snow flap when it is hard and better scratchers.I have this setup on four sleds and it takes care of the issue.If you think the vacuum from the track doesn’t suck thee we flap in ,then why do you see a bunch of crazy contraptions to keep them out off the track on different peoples sleds

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
You also need a rack that keeps the bags and gas can from touching the tunnel.Does your bag and gas can sit right on the tunnel or does it have air clearance under it?

We had 4 turbos in our group last week. All were overheating a bit on the trail, one more than others for some reason. Two of us pick up the snow flap after a couple days and no more issues. dragging feet dropped temps by 10 degrees, not ideal, but better than stopping. we all had our scratchers down but it wasn't enough. The one non-turbo doo in the group also overheated one time when he forgot to put his scratchers down.
Exactly the experience and advise I was looking for. Thanks! Much appreciated ??

You need a snow flap and add a set of over the top rail mounted ice scratchers .The stock only scratchers don’t doo it.Norona claims never an issue just like he claims snowflap doesn’t get caught in the track sometimes.Check the post I have replied to in the past and all the people that have the same issue .You need s snow flap when it is hard and better scratchers.I have this setup on four sleds and it takes care of the issue.If you think the vacuum from the track doesn’t suck thee we flap in ,then why do you see a bunch of crazy contraptions to keep them out off the track on different peoples sleds
I hear you. From my personal experiences Dave lives in a different reality than my own sometimes lol.

idahoskiguy

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
Boise, ID
Having the same overheating issues in hard conditions and have ordered the snow flap........dealer tried to sell me one when I picked up the sled, wish I had listened and purchased when they were in stock.

Riding this past Saturday was a disaster trying to keep the Expert Turbo cool as most of the snow had been through several freeze / thaw cycles making it had to find ANY soft patches for cooling.

C
Mar 15, 2018
I do not recall where I saw it (maybe here somewhere) but it was scratchers mounted on the inside of the spindles (which would sit on top of the edge of the ski when not in use) . The point being that they would scratch and kick snow up AHEAD of the track/tunnel providing snow to the heat exchangers where the scratchers on the skid mostly provide cooling/lube to the hyrax wit limited snow reaching the heat exchangers.

I do not recall where I saw it (maybe here somewhere) but it was scratchers mounted on the inside of the spindles (which would sit on top of the edge of the ski when not in use) . The point being that they would scratch and kick snow up AHEAD of the track/tunnel providing snow to the heat exchangers where the scratchers on the skid mostly provide cooling/lube to the hyrax wit limited snow reaching the heat exchangers.
Yeah I have heard from quite a few people on other forums that are personally using ski scratchers on the BRP factory turbo machines. Ever little bit helps.

Worst part is the $100 here for ski scratchers, $200 here for a snowflap, and $$$ here and there for whatever else just to keep a factory machine cool.

Idahodoo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 7, 2008
Pocatello Idaho
www.jcscutomvents.com
With 3" track in Hard / Icy it can cause temp issues, I mounted a extra set of scratchers on my 2021 Expert 165 + Snowflap, riding the crap trail & snow conditions off trail for presidents weekend from West Y to Island Park the highest I saw was 5ish bars / midway on the temp gauge, all scratchers and flap always used. Worst snow conditions I have ever seen + 2 groomers broken down did not help the trail conditions.

C
Mar 15, 2018
Yeah I have heard from quite a few people on other forums that are personally using ski scratchers on the BRP factory turbo machines. Ever little bit helps.

Worst part is the $100 here for ski scratchers, $200 here for a snowflap, and $$$ here and there for whatever else just to keep a factory machine cool.
I understand what you are saying but to be fair, these mountain machines are not made to be ridden on hard pack trails. I know that sometimes we have to ride hard pack to GET to the POW but I personally don't have a problem with them making the sled to perform in the POW but have to get creative to keep it cool the few times that the trail sucks. I am actually more annoyed that I have top spend a couple hundred $ just to have somewhere to put my registration. NO excuse or building a sled with ZERO storage IMO.

I understand what you are saying but to be fair, these mountain machines are not made to be ridden on hard pack trails. I know that sometimes we have to ride hard pack to GET to the POW but I personally don't have a problem with them making the sled to perform in the POW but have to get creative to keep it cool the few times that the trail sucks. I am actually more annoyed that I have top spend a couple hundred $ just to have somewhere to put my registration. NO excuse or building a sled with ZERO storage IMO.
Yeah here in the Rockies of Alberta & British Columbia there is no riding the mountains without a trail up and a trail down. Tough pull in the mountains if your engine is destroyed by overheating just to get there.

I pack avalanche gear, survival, & first aid gear so the avy vest backpack and tunnel bag are a necessity. Always room for registration when going up a mountain prepared.

Last edited:
With 3" track in Hard / Icy it can cause temp issues, I mounted a extra set of scratchers on my 2021 Expert 165 + Snowflap, riding the crap trail & snow conditions off trail for presidents weekend from West Y to Island Park the highest I saw was 5ish bars / midway on the temp gauge, all scratchers and flap always used. Worst snow conditions I have ever seen + 2 groomers broken down did not help the trail conditions.
Yeah I rode with a gentleman that has installed 2 sets of rail scratchers ever since the 3” tracks came out. Swears by the set up. My next step if the snow flap isn’t my answer I think.

snow-doo

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 7, 2008
Atascadero Ca
If you spent between $18-20,000 on a machine ,what is another couple hundred bucks to keep it cool.The factory could easily add it to the price but every oz. counts in the mountain wars on weight, and if you cook your engine for some reason that gives you a chance to fight with the factory on a warranty claim.It is all good ,like i previously stated Norona owns the one that doesn't overheat.I ride in several different parts of the west and almost every time have to use a trail and this year just happens to be a very tough go with the snow.A snow flap and over the top scratchers cure a lot of evil.;)

Premium Features