• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Honest thoughts on the alpha elevate kit

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
Hey guys, so I've ridden my elevated alpha for a bit and am mixed on it. Seems like some say it's the best and others are maybe.. Meh?

But here's my take, 2019 alpha 165,, one pro is the steering is lighter, I don't find it wants to push ahead and still goes where I want it to just has less ski pressure, seems to feel the same in that department as stock. But seems like perhaps it is easier to get on its side when riding or I thought so, but you do get used to your own machine. I'm sure in the deep snow it helps, but a few buddies who have alphas figure it was harder than stock to roll over and now recently my father just got the same sled, a 19 alpha 165 as well. I got playing with his in the garage and it's deff easier to lay over, air shock pressures all the same it just flops over standing on it and shifting weight, visually seeing how far the shocks also compress which is the same so not like they are softer somehow. I find mine is stiffer in that there's more of that effort and pull working it into its edge or balance point. Where as stock it lays right into the point.

Perhaps keeping the center of gravity lower as in stock helps in that regard VS raising it.

What are other guys thoughts?

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I never rode my alpha stock, but i rode my father in laws a couple times out on the mountain, i felt while riding my elevated alpha was easier to ride and felt lighter overall. But his was stock and mine had something like 35lbs removed. And a belt drive, so im sure it all helped in that reguard. But how it feels and rides on the snow, will always be different than pulling a sled over in the garage

Sent from my SM-G991U using Tapatalk

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
We have found them quit tippy, and in situations where that is not a good thing getting back on the sled after a climb that went wrong, and I think the hype is gone from " Have to have"
We removed several off the clients sleds and are happy with the stock Spindles

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I understand how a sled feels in the garage VS hill are 2 different things to some degree, but if it's easier to roll over on concrete... snow is far easier than concrete... I was also riding a stock alpha and buddy rode mine, I couldn't tell a difference, and he felt mine was harder to get over of which I can't say either way.

Just thought it was interesting ?

J
Nov 21, 2013
I finally got to ride mine elevated this week and it just feels like the sled knows what i wanted to do. playful when i wanted it to be and got work done when it was a trouble spot

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I would say the Elevate kit on my 2020 Hardcore makes the sled into a more precise carving instrument. It's takes what was already a fine fillet knife and turns it into a high precision scalpel. It made the sled more intuitive like JMATZ said it "it just fees like the sled knows what I want to do". Yes, it is tippy on the trail and hard to re-board on a slope but, I think the benefits outweigh the detriments overall.

Last edited:

cpa

Lifetime Membership
Aug 28, 2001
Utah
I think snowmobilers as a whole will most of the time believe what they spent their hard earned money on was worth while. I know that I was like this for a long long time. The further I get from 40 years old the more I care about if things really make a difference. Needless to say my elevate kit came off my 2020 hardcore after about 2 months. I didnt hate it but I really couldnt tell that it made a difference. My brother had an identical sled without the elevate kit and swapping back and forth the elevated sled it really didnt out perform the non elevated sled. I didnt think it was bad but at that time everyone wanted them so I took it off and sold it for a fair price and haven't missed it since.

ullose272

Premium Member
Aug 18, 2009
boise idaho
I think skid settings probably have alot to do with how it feels. I set mine up with the skid in the lower hole (drilled out) and didnt really like it, wheelied too much, put it back to stock hole, kept the rear down and kept the long limit strap. I liked it. I ended up selling the sled, because with all i did i still liked the Axys chassis more, mainly hated the washing out on steep terrain. Maybe a 165 would have been better but i like the short sleds so i picked up a 21 khaos and put elevate spindles on that too.

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
I think skid settings probably have alot to do with how it feels. I set mine up with the skid in the lower hole (drilled out) and didnt really like it, wheelied too much, put it back to stock hole, kept the rear down and kept the long limit strap. I liked it. I ended up selling the sled, because with all i did i still liked the Axys chassis more, mainly hated the washing out on steep terrain. Maybe a 165 would have been better but i like the short sleds so i picked up a 21 khaos and put elevate spindles on that too.

How do you like it on the khaos? I just got a 21 this year. Its fun.
Also have an 18 MC with elevate and it really made that one good in my opinion.
Both sleds are very similar.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I am enjoying my sled with the elevate kit. I think the perk for me is lifting the bellypan out of the snow, which is handy in clumpy coastal snow. I think my sled pops 'up' more, rather than pushing to plane up.

2021, twin rail elevate, 153 track

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
I am enjoying my sled with the elevate kit. I think the perk for me is lifting the bellypan out of the snow, which is handy in clumpy coastal snow. I think my sled pops 'up' more, rather than pushing to plane up.

2021, twin rail elevate, 153 track
I've had both - there is a significant difference on a twin rail elevate compared to an alpha. I would not have a twin rail ascender chassis without the elevate kit. It flat works and my absolute favorite sled to ride to-date. But you do give up a bit on traction; nothing out their bits like an alpha setup. I wish AC would release a 3.5 alpha track setup for twins. Then we could really test if the alpha traction is the whole combo or more the track. :)

Clark42

Lifetime Membership
Jun 3, 2016
Washington
I've had both - there is a significant difference on a twin rail elevate compared to an alpha. I would not have a twin rail ascender chassis without the elevate kit. It flat works and my absolute favorite sled to ride to-date. But you do give up a bit on traction; nothing out their bits like an alpha setup. I wish AC would release a 3.5 alpha track setup for twins. Then we could really test if the alpha traction is the whole combo or more the track. :)
That's an interesting take. Honestly I have never ridden an alpha, let alone an elevated one. Sure would like to try it out though! I still feel like my twin rail has a bunch of traction, and is such a playful, fun sled. I'm sure the elevate kit contributes to those characteristics

I would be interested in a 3.5" pitch track - it seems to be the new trend in track technology. The downside I've seen is that the alpha track doesn't hold up like the old powder claw does (possibly exaggerated by the concept of the single rail). I will gladly sacrifice the weight for durability - isn't that why we are on cats in the first place? haha. Sorry, don't mean to stray too far away from the main topic

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt
165 elevated boosted alpha. Holds a horizontal steep side hill line easier. Doesn’t want to pull you down hill as much as before elevated. Im 6’3, and having the extra clearance when legging around I like the extra couple inches. Sled seems to fit my height better elevated. Stock spindles work good, but there is definitely a deference in the ride. Like the stockers better on a bumpy or packed ride home. The rear geometry change makes it feel light up front too. Could be the turbo...Prob a combo of everything. Not a must have but a big improvement in deeper snow. I’ve got extra sets stock spindles laying around.

Octanee

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2010
Cranbrook Bc
I finally got back out on my sled after removing my elevate kit as it took a while to source the new adapt clutch, And honestly I couldn't tell the difference.... As mentioned before when Having the elevated sled next to an identical sled but stock, it was harder to roll it over in the garage, stock would just flop right over, and others did feel that way about it too up in the hills, I did however like that it made the steering lighter.

It may of helped it in the deeper snow, or helped it reduce a bit of that getting hooked when turning sharp where all the sudden it really wants to turn, but for the price honestly It wasn't worth it for me. When my clutch cracked it was an easy decision to remove it to fund the clutch.

As I read before I bought into it, some people LOVE IT or claim it made a HUGE difference, and others (like my self) felt it wasn't worth it.

Will say the sled does look meaner with the elevate kit though haha!

@Ijust Its tough with boosted sleds because it changes the sled in so many ways too, Many end up going back to twin rail because it makes the sled extra squirrely and un-predictable, but everybody's mileage varies as well as it depends on the power being run too.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I finally got back out on my sled after removing my elevate kit as it took a while to source the new adapt clutch, And honestly I couldn't tell the difference.... As mentioned before when Having the elevated sled next to an identical sled but stock, it was harder to roll it over in the garage, stock would just flop right over, and others did feel that way about it too up in the hills, I did however like that it made the steering lighter.

It may of helped it in the deeper snow, or helped it reduce a bit of that getting hooked when turning sharp where all the sudden it really wants to turn, but for the price honestly It wasn't worth it for me. When my clutch cracked it was an easy decision to remove it to fund the clutch.

As I read before I bought into it, some people LOVE IT or claim it made a HUGE difference, and others (like my self) felt it wasn't worth it.

@Ijust Its tough with boosted sleds because it changes the sled in so many ways too, Many end up going back to twin rail because it makes the sled extra squirrely and un-predictable, but everybody's mileage varies as well as it depends on the power being run too.
The Riot spindle/TKI setup on my Alpha make it roll over easier in the shop compared to another brand of lift spindles on my buddies sled. And that was after he removed his Elevate spindles to try this other brand because he thought they were inconsistent. Mine has pretty light steering too. From what I've been seeing and experienced the Elevate spindles are dialed in for the twin rail sleds, but need something tweaked to match up as well with the Alpha.

Ijust

Premium Member
Oct 30, 2019
Mt

I agree, the boosted monorail squirrelly feeling was wild at first on an incline. Nothing you can’t adjust for though. I do feel the elevate kit is a big improvement in the deep for me. I built this to be a deep snow sled. I’m happy with the longer spindles. The rear geometry they apply is on point. It’s beautifully crafted as well. I wouldn’t discourage anybody from putting this on their alpha, especially if you have deep snow or tree riding in mind. Prob wasn’t to hard to sell the parts of you don’t like them as I know there is a lot of interest in them.

Premium Features