• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anyone tried these running board inserts?

line8

Lifetime Membership
Feb 20, 2008
West of East
Interesting. Ive been out 2x this season in heavier snow and the stock boards are bugging me.
I may try these out.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
I have installed aftermarket ruining boards on my last two sleds but, since I have a Hardcore with the factory reinforced running boards, I thought these inserts might be a good option.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
No there was a different set either 19 or 20. Its just internal inserts.... highcountry on here has a set but not sure if he has them installed yet.

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
Actually frostbite you are right. Those are them im pretty sure.

Blackcats running boards in my 19 acc catalog

thump426er

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
West Koots
Something to consider with adding full running boards or inserts, have done them both numerous times. Every single time I find the joint where either the insert or the board meets the vertical portion of the tunnel, snow/ice has a place to grab hold because now you’ve lost your smooth surface. So then it builds even more from the inside. I spend all the money and time and still have buildup.

If you look at the factory tunnel transition from vertical part of tunnel to the beautiful smooth radius of the foot board, it’s completely smooth, nothing for snow/ice to grab hold of so it kicks off easy and doesn’t have an edge to grab.

Bigger holes where feet are let more snow pass through but trade off is snow/ice buildup inside of your foot. Damned if you do damned if you don’t, just one way costs money and time.

I did spray a nonstick fluid a few times one season in the past. That actually worked great for about 2/3 of the ride. Have to apply dry before every ride though so while it worked it was a pia because sled wasn’t always dry and it still cost money to buy the spray.

Something to consider, I decided this sled I wouldn’t fall for boards a 5th time haha.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
For a big guy aftermarket boards are worth their weight for the extra rigid platform. I won't have a sled without them for that reason alone. The snow evacuation is just a bonus. May not be as much of an issue with the Hardcore running board edges? Anyone that's ridden both care to comment on that aspect?

F_ast

Lifetime Membership
Feb 22, 2008
Ontario
The one thing u didnt like about going with an afyermarket board was raising my feet 3/4". It was like slightly raising c/g and lowering my bars. Everything felt different. I thought the inserts might be a good compromise

Frostbite

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
Eastern Washington
That's a good point F_ast! I too noticed everything changed with my new boards on my 2015. Yes, I am standing higher up on the sled with them and things have never felt the same again but, there sure shed snow well.

HCR10

Premium Member
Jan 21, 2011
Draper UT
www.comfortchampions.com
I have been running the cat inserts on 2 sleds and they work great in all snow conditions. The Years before I was running the full BDX boards and they worked great. Differences between them is both get rid of snow well but inserts do not give you the rigid feel like full boards. Inserts are way easier to install coue hours. Full bdx. Boards 4 plus hours on your first set. Hopefully this helps.

S

Snofreak3

Aug 13, 2012
Utah
www.facebook.com
This looks like an easy way of getting much better snow evacuation from our running boards.

Hey Frostbite,

I just came across this, I'm the owner and design of these Pin'd Running Boards. The new style that integrates the rear suspension bracket is now available. Thousands of miles on these from Alaska to Sweden to Italy (Seriously- they really ride in Italy). I would be more than happy to answer any questions if you have any. Thanks!IMG_20210220_221016_394.jpg

PXL_20210227_184759131.jpg PXL_20210313_010220704.jpg

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
Hey CB.8, would you say these inserts made the sled feel more rigid? I have stock boards. I jumped between a RMK and my alpha this weekend. When getting back on the alpha, I could feel a little give when initiating side hills. Wondering if a more rigid setup would help eliminate that extra effort. I'm on the east coast with wet heavy snow. I don't notice this feeling as much when I've been on trips to the Rockies

CB.8

Skidoo hill crew
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Colfax, WA
I have a hardcore so my boards are already stiffer. So no. However snow doesn’t build up like the stockers.

dgibbons

Lifetime Membership
Jan 23, 2012
Cheyenne, WY
F_ast, you must mean one of theses? They are the only thing similar I see in the Cat accessories that are close.

https://www.countrycat.com/arctic-c...-tunnel-reinforcement-kit-2014-2021-m-162-165
Just a note, these are garbage boards in my opinion. I bought a 19 Alpha with them installed and I was really looking forward to them, but am disgusted with how bad they are. I installed BMfab on my 20 and had them on my 14 too and they are the best I have been on. In contrast, these replacements are slippery as heck, and build up ice on the outer rail very quick. The serrations are not deep enough and don't grip boots for crap once they get a little snow on them. I am intrigued by the Pin'd performance boards, but would still be concerned those extrusions are too rounded and will build ice and not be able to grip. Don't waste your money on the cat machined boards and after hearing from Goinboardin on the Cat tube boards with plastic cleats, don't bother installing the plastic cleats either and just install traction screws.

If anyone disagrees or doesn't trust my opinion on the machined boards, they are for sale and I'd be glad to get rid of them! As cheap as the tube boards are right now, I might just put those on with traction screws for the price.

Edit: I just saw the price of the Pin'd inserts, I wouldn't waste my time trying them when the Cat tube boards are the same price or less currently. They have sh!+ fitment, but worth the extra headache for the price for stiffer boards and better traction (with screws).

Last edited:
Premium Features