• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Congrats to cat

Indy_500

Lifetime Membership
Jul 8, 2011
Greenville, WI
From what I can tell, cat maybe caught up to doo and poo. To say that this "all new chassis" is now king of the hill with almost no comparison to the other brands is ludicrous.

From someone who actually rode it, (Eric at vohk) he said the new engine makes about the same top end power as the Suzuki 800 and a better midrange. If that's the case it's not going to beat the 850. And cats chassis has MAYBE finally caught up to the axys. But the mountain cat I rode felt way heavier than the other two so I'm still not convinced. But I am glad to see cat improving. Maybe they will gain back some customers. But they would also need to start treating their dealers good.

From someone not trying to back up the new cat motor, I'd take vohks statement with a grain of salt, 90% of his riding time is spent riding turboed sleds. For him to take a NA 800cc snowmobile 10,000+ feet for a ride, it obviously won't feel impressive... Especially since most NA sleds he rides probably have stage kits in them...

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
let me see if i have this straight
skidoo first year chassis
polaris 2nd year chassis that
cat 7 year old chassis (that they finally put some research and money into to fixing deep rooted flaws that has kept them in 3rd place for years )
yeah cat your awesome

BLITZKRIEG

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2011
MT
Says who? Where's the facts? My 16 cat sucks and the new one dosnt look much different? Narrowed side panels with a few tweaks to the engine. My 16 was narrow enough and has plenty of responsiveness it just feels like I'm too far back off the skis and gets 32 miles to a tank. Which looks like neither has been changed

How many miles you got on that 16 now Josh?

R
Feb 29, 2016
Yamaha has yet to release 2018s... it's clearly too early to call cat the clear winner here.

LOL

Yeah I hate that Cat has been in second place for heaviest pig on the mountain for years now...

Really? An "all new" Cat that is still the porker of the 2 strokes. Sounds like a big loser to me.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
From someone not trying to back up the new cat motor, I'd take vohks statement with a grain of salt, 90% of his riding time is spent riding turboed sleds. For him to take a NA 800cc snowmobile 10,000+ feet for a ride, it obviously won't feel impressive... Especially since most NA sleds he rides probably have stage kits in them...

He wasn't downing the new engine. He just told the truth. He said it's rippier and snappier off the bottom but comparing the ctec to a zuke, they were pulling the exact same weight in the clutches. Hence the same top end power. He also said it felt almost exactly like the mountain cat from last year, probably because it is the exact same thing. So for cat to call it an all new chassis just isn't true.

DDECKER

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2013
CRAIG COLORADO
Most of us cant ride our sleds to there full potential, all the brands are so close its the rider on the sled. And they all have there pros and cons. Just saying
face-icon-small-happy.gif

A
Jan 28, 2010
Just posting what is happening on the mtn. Seems like cat handles and side hills and gets up on the snow as goods as the axys with as much power as scud 850. A little bit heavier but not noticeable and you don't have to worry about blown belts and bulkheads

eyefish123

Premium Member
Apr 6, 2010
Northern Idaho
All of the new sleds are good and as mentioned above, very few of us (especially me) can ride any of the new sleds to their full potential. With that being said, if Cat is coming out with something better it just helps us all. Competition makes better products for everyone. There will be opinions, good and bad, and brand loyal comments, but we all come out ahead in the end. We should all be thankful that the manufacturers are still trying to improve on things rather than just let things be and charge more money.
Happy sledding everyone and let's hope the rain quits here.

Premium Features