• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Why isn't someone making a series of aftermarket pros?!

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
After seeing what manufacturers came out with in 14, I wasn't particularly impressed with any of them. They are all nice sleds, but all seem to be missing something. I snow checked o prolite arcticcat 800 version. I paid more, but its full of accessories, lightened WAY up, and has the good ol reliable Suzuki 800.
Why hasn't anybody done something similar with the pro? C3 or cmx belt drive, some power adds to wake it up, and maybe a bullet proof track driver that no one needs to worry about. Add tether, headlight and oil delete... I'm sure people would pay a little extra like I did if these were available!!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
A few legitmate business looked into to, besides CMX of course (who already offers a "hot rod'" pro).

Because they are pretty good out of the box... no one is really willing to pay $18,000 for a pro with some add-ons/upgrades... and still be able to turn a profit. Plus... warranty??? Just not worth it. Better to offer a "package" on a customers sled and only warranty the work you did.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
So your fishing in the poo forum trying to justify the $17g+ that you just plopped down on a sled thats almost as light as the stock Pro? lol

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
I agree to a point. I rented a pro this year and have never felt more comfortable on a sled in my life. However, it's hard to deny they could use some more power, and the fact they have a separate "drivetrain" section for the new pros, there is definitely room for improvement. The 800 version of the prolite is 15,700$ including 500$ cash for more accessories and 1 yr warranty. I think a pro with a pipe kit, c3/cmx belt drive AND drive shaft, lightened up to 400 to 405 lbs...would be an awesome package!!
I'm not bashing on the pro at all, these are just the things that stopped ME from choosing a pro for my next new sled. Polaris knew all of this immediately in early 13 models and they didn't make changes for the better in 14 IMHO. Ok now I got that out you can bash my snow check all you want, personally I've never been so excited for a new sled!! Is it October yet?

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
A guy I ride with also sno checked one, should be a good ride... Gonna be fun next year seeing what they can do.

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
After seeing what manufacturers came out with in 14, I wasn't particularly impressed with any of them. They are all nice sleds, but all seem to be missing something. I snow checked o prolite arcticcat 800 version. I paid more, but its full of accessories, lightened WAY up, and has the good ol reliable Suzuki 800.
Why hasn't anybody done something similar with the pro? C3 or cmx belt drive, some power adds to wake it up, and maybe a bullet proof track driver that no one needs to worry about. Add tether, headlight and oil delete... I'm sure people would pay a little extra like I did if these were available!!

Congrats on the prolite! I think they'd be a pretty sweet sled.

kej

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Look @ list that Pro Lite comes with, No way you can build one for the $$$.
My riding partner has 13 Pro lite with 800, tough sled too beat. A true pull the rope sled, no clutching, no set-up, just fill with pre-mix and go. Runs right with a 12 Pro with clutching and drop kit.

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
I've had good luck with both my '11 and '13 Pro's but no doubt that some have had issues. Still I think that changing to an eTec or AC motor in the Pro would just make the sled even more unreliable. Think about the little things that would cause problems. I think that the CMX sled is really quite wicked. I wouldn't spend the money on it but plan to just turbo my '13. Seems that the turbo guys have had very good luck. Perhaps a long rod kit from IndyDan along with a Silber turbo would really make the Pro the complete sled.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
Look @ list that Pro Lite comes with, No way you can build one for the $$$.
My riding partner has 13 Pro lite with 800, tough sled too beat. A true pull the rope sled, no clutching, no set-up, just fill with pre-mix and go. Runs right with a 12 Pro with clutching and drop kit.
That sounds more embarrassing than impressive....doesn't it?

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
The pro lite 800 is the sled AC should've built to begin with. Close to the weight of the pro and we all know what the 800 Suzuki is. It's a good option for those that bleed green who want a comparable sled for only 4grand more:face-icon-small-coo

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Yeah I agree. With that kind of money into a pro you could have a full carbon fiber body kit putting the sled at 382 dry. Add a head, clutching, pipe and can, air shocks...your looking at 370 lbs or less and a pull and go sled that can run off of pump gas with oil injection.

I've heard a lot of good about the bdx pro lite, but that makes it sound like you have to spend an extra 5k to make it perform like a stock, properly set up sled.

A

anziconda

Dec 10, 2007
Yeah I agree. With that kind of money into a pro you could have a full carbon fiber body kit putting the sled at 382 dry. Add a head, clutching, pipe and can, air shocks...your looking at 370 lbs or less and a pull and go sled that can run off of pump gas with oil injection.

I've heard a lot of good about the bdx pro lite, but that makes it sound like you have to spend an extra 5k to make it perform like a stock, properly set up sled.

And imagine getting that 382 lb pro in a proven package, little extra power, AND a warranty. That is all I'm saying, someone should do it, they would be incredible!!

kej

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
That sounds more embarrassing than impressive....doesn't it?

It is embarrassing that we have to put a piston kit that changes porting and a head to run with a 800 AC that is based off a 10 year old engine.
New Polaris Pro $12000
Rkt drop kit $ 900 plus install/misc stuff
Clutching $ 400
Seat $ 500
wrap $ 350 plus install
Total $ 14,150 New 800 Pro Lite About $15,000
List on Pol is a True apples to apples comparison
For $2000 more you can have a 200HP RKT925 or Bikeman 910.
For $2000 more on Pol you will never see 170HP

M
Oct 13, 2009
wyoming
This is the way i see it. In this day and age you have the choice to purchase great aftermarket products and build your own sled as you see fit at your leasure and as you can afford it. JMO but to spend 35K or maybe more on a cmx makes no sense. You take a brand new sled @$12-13, do a big bore or turbo of your choice, front and rear suspension kits, shock packages, misc other products to lighten it up or add performance, and you have just put AT LEAST $10,000.00 back in your pocket, and a sled that will perform EVERY bit as well. With aftermarket what it is today, it is a "build your own sled" world. These aftermarket companies have made their stuff very easy for 90% of the sledders out there to instal themselves. By the way there is now another belt drive company for 2-$300.00 less than the C3. not to knock C3 as i just bought and installed 2 on my own sleds and they so far seem great. Wish i would have known sooner they look like a great system. The tread is over on the doo section. Looks like psychosled.com and goes by motosyco. Same as the C3 set up, you actually lose weight in the process.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
And imagine getting that 382 lb pro in a proven package, little extra power, AND a warranty. That is all I'm saying, someone should do it, they would be incredible!!

Just wait one more year and snow check one from polaris:face-icon-small-win

Premium Features