• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The 2015 RMK rumors, thoughts, and wishes thread

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
That's funny because wasn't it you who just a few days ago on another thread that was trying to say I didn't know what I was talking about??? You sure sounded like a know it all that day with your tough guy talk. Go figure, just another know it all kid that still hasn't figured out why you were born with two ears but only one mouth.

Pm'd ya, douchebag.

I didn't think an 850 with more power would be the route the new engine goes, more so a refined & reliable 800, maybe we're getting both? That would be great. Hopefully it's gonna be in a shortened up chassis, with a few pounds dropped maybe, probably not. That'd be alright if it's different and works well. Like they said, the rush is supposedly 90-some-% different! why wouldn't the RMK get the same changes now and they all get a better 800, and a Razr engine too for 700 class competition. Turbos wouldn't be far behind (aftermarket anyway).

Can we try to be constructive and more like your screen-name, and less like a playground loudmouth?

C
Nov 29, 2008
Not really if they kept their current design. Using the current cooler intergrated tunnel, a flat sheet is all that's needed on top, and then the sides would be a flat sheet, with a lip built I to the bottom just big enough to attach the running board extrusion. Most of the weight carried through the boards is into the foot styrup and suspension bracket so the force on the carbon lip itself wouldn't be much. From a manufacturing standpoint it would be a pretty easy lay-up as well.

A carbon tube frame with "plastic" liner so that snow does not stick would help reduce snow / ice accumulation weight.

Woodsrider

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Alaska
Do not think there will be carbon fiber tunnel. Do to cost also would require additional cooling which would also increase weight. Painted tunnel maybe.

I have to say my 14 has been great from the start, best stock sled I've owned by far. I have a couple small things that should be standard options that I think would go a long way.

-Track length specific gearing options(one reason I went with a 155 over the 163)
-Chassis/drive axle relocation to accommodate room for 8 tooth drivers, or make the X3 track and relocation an option on the sleds
-Stock venting on clutch side to push more air across drive and driven
-One/two more vents in console area for airbox draw that will draw when the other two may become less efficient or plugged.
-include tools to replace a Quick Drive belt for all models with quick drive, (maybe buy out happy face???)
-Extreme bumper standard on all Pro models
-re-engineer hood so top access to engine compartment is easier
-add a little more exchanger somewhere for skinny snow situations

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
I agree on the cooling. Losing any aluminum or snow sticking on my sled would be an issue. Maybe time for a stronger set-up. Cooling and structure. Something in between what Cat is using now and what Pol is using now.
An extrusion that ties into the bulkhead and adds strength at the footwells and extends far enough back to tie in the rear of the suspention. The rest CF.

CF is really expensive to us from the aftermarket but how much more is it in production. I have no idea.
Aluminum is cut, then punched then folded. Pieces are picked up and recycled.
CF. Mold is made, then it's place some mat, maybe some aluminum pieces at mounting points, then suck in the juice.

Like I said, I have no idea but who would of said a few years back that glueing some extrusions together would produce the lightest and the strongest bulkhead.
I'm sure Polaris is making production cost money on that idea today.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
I wish polaris would just run the heat through the running boards. It would be just enough to help from overheating and really wouldn't add much weight. I don't usually have problems but my wife does. Fix the ski rubber issue. I have a growly shoulder so I wish they steered as easy as my xm. The cmx front end steers twice as easy but it is $1500. If they lift the body and chassis up 2 inches I bet it will really go through the snow. The pro is the worst ride of all of them. I wish they would give some aftermarket shock choices for the snow check. Everyone always wants more power. If people had confidence like they do on the cat 800 polaris would have 75% share in the mountain segment. I am just waiting to see how depressed I am on mar. 2nd. I like my xm but I like the pro better.

WileyCoyote

Lifetime Membership
Dec 3, 2007
1. Powder coat tunnel & rails.
2. Get rid of drive shaft collar, fix it so a collar isn't needed.
3. Build an 850 cc with 180hp
4. Tied Team secondary.
5. Separate kill switch from throttle so I can mount else where or add a tether(I'll rubber band the kill).
6. Bigger ski bushings.
7. As stated earlier, more clutch venting.
8. Some won't like this, goggle dryer option.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
4. Tied Team secondary.
5. Separate kill switch from throttle so I can mount else where or add a tether(I'll rubber band the kill).
6. Bigger ski bushings.
8. Some won't like this, goggle dryer option.

Unless I don't understand what you mean, it was done starting 2013 model year.

scotts-doo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2011
Minnesota
The google dryer? I have the polaris bag that fits under the hood and it works great. I have dried googles and gloves in them. Very good add-on I believe.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Speed helps keep the temp down only place I have issues is in tight tress crawling up hill. The pro was designed for lightweight and off trail riding want more cooling buy a standard. My mod sleds had same issues with cooling. I like the pro could it be better you bet. Shocks could be way better,more carbon fiber and titanium. Price on this unit is great compared to the other three. Little birdee said no engine changes sorry guys.

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
Done on 2014's
I'm sure it's fixed, the '14 collar was just a "piece of mind" thing
Tall order, expect more longevity, rather than huge power
4. Tied Team secondary.
$400 aftermarket option, sled cost would have to be a couple hundred more
Already done starting in 2013
6. Bigger ski bushings.
Yes, simple fix for them to do
Maybe better cooling fins on clutches for heat dispersal? They'll never cut holes in panels
8. Some won't like this, goggle dryer option
Already a Polaris option........

From the sounds of of some people, you don't even want a pro RMK. Just buy a standard and buy aftermarket shocks. Seems like a lot of people completely miss the point of having a PRO and a STANDARD offered. I hate to be captain obvious here, but the pro is the lightweight, bare bones, hi-performance version meant to do more of the off trail stuff. If your wife's sled overheats going down the trail, buy her a standard. How is that so hard to grasp. It's like everyone wants a light stripped down minimalist mountain machine with all the comfort, features and reliability of a trail sled. Which do you want?

AndrettiDog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 23, 2007
Colorado
From the sounds of of some people, you don't even want a pro RMK. Just buy a standard and buy aftermarket shocks. Seems like a lot of people completely miss the point of having a PRO and a STANDARD offered. I hate to be captain obvious here, but the pro is the lightweight, bare bones, hi-performance version meant to do more of the off trail stuff. If your wife's sled overheats going down the trail, buy her a standard. How is that so hard to grasp. It's like everyone wants a light stripped down minimalist mountain machine with all the comfort, features and reliability of a trail sled. Which do you want?

I agree, if you are overheating you are not using the Pro for what it was intended for. We drop our scratchers for the first 20-30min in the morning to get where we are going. After that we don't need them until we come home in the afternoon.

However, I am tired of the Walker Evan partnership. They are still too weak (although better than the terrible IQ WE's). Yamaha and AC get Fox Floats or better. Move the WE's to the standard and provide the Evol R as an option. I'd bite on that. But I'm sure it won't work because of the partnership with WE.

cateye5312

Premium Member
Mar 28, 2009
Grand Junction CO
I thought this was a thread on rumors of what might be coming, not a wish list of what you want to see

Whoops, sorry guess it does say wish list in thread topic

anybody got any more skinny on what might be coming?

Last edited:

oldsno

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 8, 2009
ya-bng don't ask how I know got the word last week from an industry insider.Plan accordingly... sorry the way it goes...................

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT

I hate to be captain obvious but this was a wish list. You obviously drive out here from nd and go to cooke where you can go off trail right from the get go. We go all over and you don't have off trail, for a ways, in some places. I usually don't have a problem with the cooling but once in a while I have to work at it. My wife struggle once in a while and I will swap her. we just got back from wyoming and it was wet snow where scratchers don't do much good. If you couldn't get off and spin stuff up there, and there were spots you couldn't, you were heating up. Guys on the new cats were shutting them off. As for the shock who wouldn't want better shocks from the factory or an option?

I guess my other gripe with your captain obvious comment is I don't need you telling me what the difference is and what to buy or what they are for. I am not some kid who bought a burandt video and thinks they know everything. I learned most of this stuff on my own through trial and error and riding with some of the best riders around. Wouldn't even cared if it wasn't for the way you phrased it.

deschutes

Lifetime Membership
Jan 22, 2008
....However, I am tired of the Walker Evan partnership. They are still too weak (although better than the terrible IQ WE's). Yamaha and AC get Fox Floats or better. Move the WE's to the standard and provide the Evol R as an option. I'd bite on that. But I'm sure it won't work because of the partnership with WE.

The stock Walker Evans shocks can be surprisingly good when tuned/set up correctly. While I know a one size fits all approach is difficult, perhaps a little tweaking of the shocks from the factory would go a long way.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
I agree, have someone revalve the stock shocks (akiqpilot on here does all my work) for a good price, and buy a spring package. Have less than $500 for the whole thing. I really like how good my shocks feel. Can beat pretty dang hard down a whooped out trail with a 163" and doesn't fade.

rmk727

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2008
SO.DAK
My carbon fiber arrows sure flex without breaking, fishing pole too!

edgey

Premium Member
Jul 9, 2001
Luv my 13 163 but would like coated tunnel and running boards, change the rear suspension mount to not ice up so bad and give guys that sno check some more options( shocks, ski stance width, and more colors) because right now I see no reason to sno check I bought my 13 for 9600 in Feb vs 11000 in Nov no brainer for me anyways.

revrider07

Lifetime Membership
Feb 17, 2008
ND
Have rode walkers set up and redone. Put raptors on and there are no bumps compared to walkers. Snow checks should be for customers only and should be 1500 down to polaris that would make dealers think twice about checking one for there whole family. The pro is a great platform to build off of. the more I ride mine the better I get on it I rode doo for 10 years. Three inch track would be nice but they would overheat faster and there would have to be a thread on it. I would like to see a 380 lb sled from Polaris and no WARRANTY.

Premium Features