• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The 2015 RMK rumors, thoughts, and wishes thread

F
Nov 30, 2008
Since a tonne of us are only Basics we are no longer able to read the 2015 thread. But I found some juicy info(not sure its on here yet cause I cant read anymore posts in there) and would love to post it if its not but cannot, so here it is in a new thread, thanks for bearing with me on a new thread!

found on snow and mud by IWasThere:

Lots of pretty big changes for their 60th anniversary.

Four piece tunnel. Aluminum in middle where heat exchanges mount. Top corners an L-bar that carbon fiber sides mount to. Carbon goes down and bends for the boards (same aluminum ones they have on the pros) mount to. Rolled edge attaches to the tunnel similarly as it currently does. Tunnel extension is all carbon fiber. From what I am understanding, this design saves no dry weight, but they're going to be playing up the wet weights. As the Rush is no more, this new tunnel/bulkhead design is actually going to be shared with the new short tracker Pro-Indy and Switchback XCR. Non-pro sleds will still have all aluminum tunnels.

Speaking of short trackers, new "in tunnel" rising rate rear suspension. Partially an R-Motion knock off, with more linkage going on so the front arm is also rising rate. RMK's might get a version of this, but very much "in testing" still and might be a 2016 thing - won't know if it gets the greenlight until official launch - they have a third design that was "the next step up" from a T-motion that was in testing for last 3 years, even got up to manufacturing testing, but failed at last minute because it just didn't work better than the existing suspension - particularly with this new rising rate skid on the horizon - it hit the drawing board. The big thing is that the "Pro" lines are all Snow check only and limited numbers.

RMK hood and styling are the same, but the new Indy gets a bit of a facelift. Little bit "inspired" by the RZR's I think, with the "fenders" and new LED headlights, but I guess it blocks wind for the easterners. Again, the bulkhead and a-arms are mostly unchanged. Polaris is trying power steering on the two-up sleds.

The 800 is making more power, it's actually an 850 now with a new bottom end. Injection system is new, but layout I think looked the same? Not much for details, very WIP still and fairly low on hype just yet. The big news is two fourstrokes... The RZR 1000 gets put into a sled and guess what! It's decent 600 cc class power, comparable to the cat 1100 but *lots* lighter. Lighter than the Doo 900 with more power is their tag line. The other fourstroke is the 570 rzr motor into a sled to replace the fan cooled 550 (mostly for European markets and asia) work and touring type sleds. Apparently Polaris can build the 570 fourstroke themselves, EFI and all, for as cheap as it is to ship the 550 fanner from Fuji and with rising EPA requirements the fanner's gotta go. (This years proliferation of 550's was a parts bin clean out.)

So far, only a few things to be said about any of the other manufacturers. I'm told Cat and Yamaha are building a mountain sled together... and it'll have a turbo! The old 1100 suzuki is out. Lots of changes to the mountain chassis for this turbo, but details were light. Seemed to be the big exciting thing from their respective camps. Oh yeah, Cat 800, exact same motor, no "Made in Japan" stamps on it though. The new injection system is in testing/calibration still.

Skidoo I have less info on as sources are stupid tight lipped. Was talk of a twin track prototype being shown off... a revival of the Elite with some Maverick-class suspension. No plans for production, mostly going to be looking to see if there's interest.

Iceman56

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Lol you do realize Yamaha and Arctic Cat have already revealed there 2015 sleds, no need for more rumors

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
What about the 1st axys video with the shot of two chassis overlayed on a computer screen? The new chassis is shorter, stubby-er, a little XM-esque. It's getting close, so how much trouble can I get in? New chassis, refined 800. Not so much an increase in horsepower, more along the lines of longevity. I'm seriously doubting the 850 rigmarole. That would really take them out of the 800 class, wouldn't it? Rzr 1000 engine makes sense, they'll have to jump on the 4-stroke boat too.

Jay

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Smithers, B.C.
In '05 they built a 755 and called it a 700. Why not build an 850 and call it an 800. With the slop they have in the cylinders right now they are half way there. :face-icon-small-win

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
Since a tonne of us are only Basics we are no longer able to read the 2015 thread. But I found some juicy info(not sure its on here yet cause I cant read anymore posts in there) and would love to post it if its not but cannot, so here it is in a new thread, thanks for bearing with me on a new thread!

found on snow and mud by IWasThere:

Lots of pretty big changes for their 60th anniversary.

Four piece tunnel. Aluminum in middle where heat exchanges mount. Top corners an L-bar that carbon fiber sides mount to. Carbon goes down and bends for the boards (same aluminum ones they have on the pros) mount to. Rolled edge attaches to the tunnel similarly as it currently does. Tunnel extension is all carbon fiber. From what I am understanding, this design saves no dry weight, but they're going to be playing up the wet weights. As the Rush is no more, this new tunnel/bulkhead design is actually going to be shared with the new short tracker Pro-Indy and Switchback XCR. Non-pro sleds will still have all aluminum tunnels.

Speaking of short trackers, new "in tunnel" rising rate rear suspension. Partially an R-Motion knock off, with more linkage going on so the front arm is also rising rate. RMK's might get a version of this, but very much "in testing" still and might be a 2016 thing - won't know if it gets the greenlight until official launch - they have a third design that was "the next step up" from a T-motion that was in testing for last 3 years, even got up to manufacturing testing, but failed at last minute because it just didn't work better than the existing suspension - particularly with this new rising rate skid on the horizon - it hit the drawing board. The big thing is that the "Pro" lines are all Snow check only and limited numbers.

RMK hood and styling are the same, but the new Indy gets a bit of a facelift. Little bit "inspired" by the RZR's I think, with the "fenders" and new LED headlights, but I guess it blocks wind for the easterners. Again, the bulkhead and a-arms are mostly unchanged. Polaris is trying power steering on the two-up sleds.

The 800 is making more power, it's actually an 850 now with a new bottom end. Injection system is new, but layout I think looked the same? Not much for details, very WIP still and fairly low on hype just yet. The big news is two fourstrokes... The RZR 1000 gets put into a sled and guess what! It's decent 600 cc class power, comparable to the cat 1100 but *lots* lighter. Lighter than the Doo 900 with more power is their tag line. The other fourstroke is the 570 rzr motor into a sled to replace the fan cooled 550 (mostly for European markets and asia) work and touring type sleds. Apparently Polaris can build the 570 fourstroke themselves, EFI and all, for as cheap as it is to ship the 550 fanner from Fuji and with rising EPA requirements the fanner's gotta go. (This years proliferation of 550's was a parts bin clean out.)

So far, only a few things to be said about any of the other manufacturers. I'm told Cat and Yamaha are building a mountain sled together... and it'll have a turbo! The old 1100 suzuki is out. Lots of changes to the mountain chassis for this turbo, but details were light. Seemed to be the big exciting thing from their respective camps. Oh yeah, Cat 800, exact same motor, no "Made in Japan" stamps on it though. The new injection system is in testing/calibration still.

Skidoo I have less info on as sources are stupid tight lipped. Was talk of a twin track prototype being shown off... a revival of the Elite with some Maverick-class suspension. No plans for production, mostly going to be looking to see if there's interest.

The rush name may be dead but from the axys videos its fairly well certain the rush style skid is still in use. There may be a t motion style under tunnel skid but it will be in the indy.

As well the 1100t is not gone... Maybe go on the internet... Its the 9000 class

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
In '05 they built a 755 and called it a 700. Why not build an 850 and call it an 800. With the slop they have in the cylinders right now they are half way there. :face-icon-small-win

Didn't realize that. Didn't follow the tech side of snowmobiling then or care about Polaris. I was still 100% Cat guy and was trying to make a firecat a mountain sled. My cats CC's always closely represented their engine class :face-icon-small-win

I
Nov 26, 2007
Didn't realize that. Didn't follow the tech side of snowmobiling then or care about Polaris. I was still 100% Cat guy and was trying to make a firecat a mountain sled. My cats CC's always closely represented their engine class :face-icon-small-win

Isn't the cat 900 an 862?

ndC7M8

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 13, 2008
Sand Hills, North Dakota
That is true. Round up? Lol. The current nomenclature represents less engine size, more class separation, as the 4000 is actually a 499cc machine. The old days of using the thousand numbering system were probably a little closer, eh? Shoulda caught myself on the 900 since I've owned one. Wasn't trying to start a p*ssing match over how they all classify their sleds.

Back to topic?

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
My son was talking to a relative of a pol hill climb sponsored racer ,my son said it sure would be nice to see powder coating and his responce was , the 15s won' need coating and left it at that, so maybe carbon in the tunnel is factual.

B
Oct 26, 2003

That's funny because wasn't it you who just a few days ago on another thread that was trying to say I didn't know what I was talking about??? You sure sounded like a know it all that day with your tough guy talk. Go figure, just another know it all kid that still hasn't figured out why you were born with two ears but only one mouth.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
That would/could be fantastic! I see some (as in select few who don't understand, not the masses) customer backlash. My prediction is there will be a lot more broken tunnels due to carbon not bending, but breaking. Everyone on here who jumps a lot, hits rocks, puts too much weight on the tunnel, and bent the current tunnel will most likely break a carbon one too. Since it's new and, although stronger lbs for lbs, won't yield like aluminum, they will claim that Polaris builds weak sleds and the new tunnel is worthless.

I guess that problem would be solved though if the assault still had an aluminum tunnel, or aluminum stiffener plates that in the event of a tunnel failure would bend between the two pieces and be able to limp home...

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
I can see putting thin carbon inserts on the aluminum tunnel to shed snow. The price of a true carbon tunnel would be expensive and price would go up big time.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
Not really if they kept their current design. Using the current cooler intergrated tunnel, a flat sheet is all that's needed on top, and then the sides would be a flat sheet, with a lip built I to the bottom just big enough to attach the running board extrusion. Most of the weight carried through the boards is into the foot styrup and suspension bracket so the force on the carbon lip itself wouldn't be much. From a manufacturing standpoint it would be a pretty easy lay-up as well.

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
In the axys video the sled has a black tunnel, maybe it is carbon? Will find out soon.

Premium Features